Opinions: Is Poker A Sport?

@Tom454

Wrong thread !!!

No it is the correct thread.

I can’t find anything in your post about poker being a sport or game. That is the question in the header of the thread .

I did see the word mathematical used a few hundred times :rofl:

You have to go back and read the entire thread or you will get lost.

Not much in your posts to me about it that I can find.

that’s indeed an unlucky situation. all i can do then is advise you not to fold these AA and AK hands and hopefully your horrible luck streak goes away in time and these hands get rewarded again.

if the math i explained won’t help you too much then it seems the best thing i could do now is to just wish you good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree that disagreeing can be agreeable if the disagreeing parties agree that the disagreement wasn’t agreed upon during the agreeable times needed to agree or disagree, but that the disagreeable agreement needed agreeable outlines of agreements and disagreements to be agreeable! Do you both agree?

1 Like

Agreed!!! :joy: :joy: :joy:

-Marc

2 Likes

Funny you should ask…I watched last Sunday’s superbowl for the 1st time in years and more than once I thought…wow, football is a lot like poker!
Think about all the different offensive and defensive strategies of the game…do we punt (fold) or throw a hail mary (all-in) :rofl:

2 Likes

I think that whit the right approach (and influence), Online Poker, most noticiable Hold em, could get into the E-Sports branch. I would like to get some points of views on this topic :slight_smile:

I take it you’ve never driven a race car in competition for any length of time, Seville.

You are right Ed, I never did. And, I would agree it is a difficult thing to do. But, driving spikes into railroad ties for 8 hour a day is very difficult, most people could not do it, and I don’t consider that a sport either.
But I respect people who do both of those activities.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that they’ve got machines to spike rails now. I always believed “motor sports” was the only true sport. Everything else is just a game. :wink:
I know I can’t swing a hammer all day anymore. I probably couldn’t drive competitively all day Saturday and Saturday night at the local “bull ring” either. (Not to say that what I do here is particularly competitive) I still give poker a go and put a few thousand miles a year (at least) on my motorcycles. As a matter of fact, even though I don’t do it for points, prizes or cash, I think avoiding cars all day on the local roadways is more sport than poker or chess.
I too have a great deal of respect for those who can champion any game. I guess it comes down to which goes first, the reflexes or the mind. :v:

1 Like

I think you are right Ed. Probably some teen ager with a cell phone has an AP for driving railroad spikes :roll_eyes: I used to be able to drive spikes and do things like that. Today sticking a needle through a wet sheet of tissue paper might be a challenge. I guess as long as we can handle lifting cards and chips and can find our way to a puter or a card room, we are ok.

Best Wishes,

Seville

1 Like

If you can eat pizza and drink beer while playing it is not a sport.

Is contract bridge a sport? Are card games sports? I would say not. Is cooking a sport, or housework, or shopping? Is playing fetch with a dog a ball game? Is table tennis a kind of tennis?

A mind sport is a new kind of definition which changes the meaning of the word sport from its normal definition.

1 Like

Well, you can call large pre-flop races with 6 4 suited, and see if you get better results with that hand.

I don’t think you will, because in a heads up situation when you have six four suited versus AKo, if both of you miss the flop, AK will always be ahead, and it is patently obvious that the odds of catching somebody and overtaking them on the turn or river will always run against you, although you will succeed sometimes.

If both of you make one pair on the flop, then AK will also be ahead. There is no reason to think that 6 4 will make two pairs any more often than AK.

6 4 suited will make a straight slightly more often than AKo, and will make a flush more often, but when AKo does make a flush, it will always beat your flush.

I would be very happy to play my AKo versus your 6 4s over a hundred hands anytime for my whole stack. I have half a billion chips.

1 Like

i don’t see poker as a sport. Sports involve physical exertion. Live tournaments can be grueling physically, but it’s not the same thing.

As far as “mind sport,” meh. If you look at it that way, studying for a final exam is also a sport. Deciding what to have for dinner would be a sport. Doing crossword puzzles would be a sport. An engineer trying to solve a problem isn’t considered to be an athlete because thinking isn’t a sport.

So no, poker isn’t a sport.

1 Like

I don’t know professor but I do know that poker is grueling such as when myself and SPG play in the WSOP and it drives me insane at times, being an athlete all my life I can absolutely say

“Poker is NOT a sport “…

1 Like

If there isn’t a physical component it isn’t a sport. If you want to play games with words we can find a way to make watching television while covered in potato chip crumbs a sport.

2 Likes