Is it bingo to all in pre-flop when holding AK or a high pair?

Yep, why all in on a dry pot? It all depends on the situation, if blinds are big, if 3rd or 4 bet pre flop etc…

1 Like

Thanks.

Thanks

1 Like

To drop players increasing your odds or to steal blinds

Raising bigger and shoving aren’t the same thing. But I understand your point about raising bigger, but many players today, even professionals, often just min raise against multiple players.

3 Likes

AK pre flop is a very good hand - its not bingo if your going all in with that - hoping for a 7 on the river to fill the middle of your str with all your chips in - is.

2 Likes

I’d rather see the flop before I went all in.

3 Likes

I say play your good hands… bet preflop… you win a lot more hands by betting than calling or checking… but sometimes it’s a good idea to slow play AA or KK… if you’re playing against a tight aggressive opponent.

as far as all in preflop… how big are the blinds… and how many more blinds can you wait to make your move…

1 Like

You may as well go all in with AK or a high pair as this site tends to kill you if you don’t. I’d rather win the binds than get my aces cracked which happens pretty much every time

1 Like

Depends on how long you want to play & are you really playing for the WIN

1 Like

You can easily bingo all in with AK if you know players are bad enough to call off frequently with worse.

You will see a lot of crazy stuff on RP. Players will occasionally show up with AA KK QQ true, but many will insta call off with AQ AT & weak pocket pairs and sometimes just total garbage. So I’m happy to bingo all in with even 200BB if a player is bad enough to frequently call off with worse.

It does depend a lot on the table and players tho. I’ve 6bet ATo out of position against a crazy maniac player that limped, but was frequently opening to over 20BB pre flop. Player 7Bet all in with Q6o. I’m rarely 3betting against most players w ATo bc they are already opening fairly tight.

The term bingo is so vague and over used on RP IMO, its not very useful in poker strategy discussion. .

1 Like

That’s not sound advice. Sounds like bingo play to me.

2 Likes

Again, time and place dictates all-in decisions. Everybody has to make their own mind up, but proper players take their time and calculate the risks involved. Granted, strong pre-flop hands can look spectacular to anybody, but you simply do NOT know what the board will bring. The best hands can look silly post flop.

4 Likes

Actually, this is a reason to get it in preflop (provided the stacks are small enough to feasibly do so.)

When you shove preflop with KK and get customers, you have >65% equity against anything but aces.

In a postflop situation with Kings, there are many more better hands that crush you. (You also get more equity against hands that you were already beating, making the situation more polarized. This is not good for your aggression, because these hands would be folding anyways, so the increased equity doesn’t matter.)

You said it, provided the stacks are small enough, which means if you are a small stack with a few places left before the dreaded bubble position. That’s when the All In instinct kicks in.

As opposed to, the starting hand with starting blinds, time and time again just to annoy everybody else.

1 Like

To be honest - I really cant believe all you guys think all in pre flop with AK is bingo -

5 Likes

Granted, strong pre-flop hands can look spectacular to anybody, but you simply do NOT know what the board will bring. The best hands can look silly post flop.

What I’m saying is that this is exactly the reason you WANT to get the money in preflop! Because your KK is likely the best hand preflop, but can look silly postflop, you want to get the money in BEFORE it looks silly.

The only thing stopping you is that overbetting 50x pot preflop brings a whole host of other problems, but if not for that problem, you definitely want to get as much money in as possible.

If you get it in with AA preflop, and a worse hand hits a two pair / trips / a set / straight / flush, you’ve made a great play, you just got unlucky.

If someone flops one of the above hands, and then you get it in with AA, you look like an idiot. The fact is that if you have AA, seeing the flop helps the opponent a lot more than you. Flops like 567 mono or QQ9 put you in a tough spot, and even disconnected boards which seem safe can lead you to get stacked by two pair or a set.

There’s a lot of situations where you get coolered, and few situations where you find yourself on the right side of a cooler.
(Betting big on a flop like 57T rainbow screams “I have overpair”, and as the preflop aggressor, any ace hitting the board means pairing the ace is likely in your range. Thus, you only get paid off by hands like two pair and sets.)

My point is that you’re entirely right that the best hands can look silly post-flop, but do not let this deter you from shoving preflop; in fact, this should encourage it. The things that deter you from bingoing with aces are things like bet sizing, whether you think you’ll fold out customers, balancing your RFI range.
If the table is full of calling stations and you suspect you will get customers, you should bingo with aces - it’s the maximum EV play!

On the other hand, if your table has competent players, and bingoing folds them out, then you’ll have to wait until you become a small stack, at which point you’d be bingoing with your entire opening range, and they’ll have to call you much more lightly to stop you from stealing the blinds. Again, in this case, the fact that you get the money in with aces before your hand looks silly on the flop is a feature, not a bug.

2 Likes

Not a good idea shoving preflop, knocking out the entire table would not get you optimal amount of chips. Think about that.

3 Likes

Exactly. All in preflop with AA is scared play if you open the betting, and scared money don’t make money.

2 Likes