Do you check-raise?

I’ve been studying tips and strategies lately and it seems a lot of pros check-raise regularly.
I’ve always thought it was kind of a weasley thing to do but if it’s not I will try it occasionally.
I know there have been plenty of times that I knew I had the nut on the flop and wanted to but never did.
Do you check-raise?

Thanks in advance,
GrandyB

Had a player in a live game, insisted that was cheating. Said the same thing about the option. Did it every chance I could to piss him off and put him off his game. Worked every time too.

PS: This player did it too but always denied he did it.

1 Like

LOL, good to know :relaxed:

I check-raise yes.

Good to know Maya…hmm, so it’s just another tool in the toolbox eh?
:relaxed:

1 Like

Check raising is a double-edged sword. If you have that monster hand and don’t bet, you risk the opponent not betting either, whether by not having much, or by smelling a rat. I DO use that tactic, but usually make a smaller than pot-sized bet, instead. The object is to maximize the number of chips you win. Always doing the same thing gives an observant opponent–and there are many of them–clues to what you’re doing and he/she won’t bite for the raise you want. A short bet may look more like a weak bluff and get raised, which you can then re-raise with the big hammer. Make sense?

1 Like

When I flop a Big hand I usually Check Raise in hope of extra chips in the pot. Even though a Seasoned Replayer once told Me to always bet the value of Your hand when it comes Your turn because the next card could change everything. If Strong -bet that way. If Weak -Bet that way. I believe they added lil Bluffing Later in Game…

2 Likes

You know, I’ve noticed that here at the “good” tables. Some of the good players do seem to read me well after a while. I’d still prefer that to donks tho.

That’s what I ordinarily do, bet the value of my cards but as mentioned above, it seems the good players pick up on that and play accordingly.
Overall I think I do need to mix it up some…maybe even get caught in a bluff once in a while :relaxed:

2 Likes

I check raise all the time, That is what I live for lol… It’s poker!, To me its the same a bluffing but doing the opposite. Let the other players think you have nothing, It’s a trap. If you want to win money let your opponent think you have a good hand, but if you really want to win money, make them think you don’t.

4 Likes

I’m surprised it’s not frowned upon…but very pleased it isn’t…can’t wait for my next opportunity to (cautiously) use it. :relaxed:

3 Likes

To be caught in a tiny bluff early in the game can be Golden. Also taking a long pause before checking on final card with a Power hand can make an opponent try to Bluff for the Pot.

2 Likes

Good advice, thank you.

1 Like

Check-raising is a critical part of poker strategy, particularly when you’re in a very early position.

Let’s imagine you are in the big blind at a 9-handed table, and that people are sitting on ~50BB stacks. Preflop, five people call, including the dealer and the small blind. In this position, you should be raising only large sizes (5BB+) with very, very strong hands, since a small bet will merely build the pot and make it harder to bluff on later streets, and one of the five other players in the hand may be slow-playing a monster (it happens often at lower stakes).

Assuming the small blind checks to you, after almost every flop - particularly low/unconnected flops which are more likely to hit your range than the other players’ - you’ll want to be checking your action to protect your range. If you only bet when you get a good flop, then people can profitably fold when you bet, and bet you off your hand when you don’t. Having the ability/willingness to check-raise if someone “in position” bets, it’ll make you harder to play against, and may make it more likely that the people you check-raise against will fold off their equity more often to your bluffs, or forgo betting on earlier streets (saving you chips) when they have strong-but-not-super-strong hands.

4 Likes

Dang, you guys should get together and write a book…lots of valuable info here! :relaxed:

2 Likes

A lot of times if say I have a high pair…I will check. This way if there is a bingo player out there I’m not in for a lot if I don’t want to chance it, if everyone checks but a small bet is made I will raise. It also comes in handy if you have a player that raises every first bet then you come back with a good raise to see if he actually has anything if he folds he dosent and a lot of times quits raising just to chase people out. Its a fair bet, nothing weasley about it, and like you said its just another way to bet a hand…but…if your doing it…whats to say the guy across the table is not doing the same thing to you…its all a gamble. Good Luck

2 Likes

The scenario I’m referring to is when trying to trap someone…ie you know you have the nut and you check and then another player bets and you in turn double their bet or go all-in.

1 Like

I understand that scenario but I was showing other scenarios and none of them are the wrong by any means of doing. Also before the flop and river no hand is nut hand. I wish I had a 100 dollar chip for everytime I thought my pocket aces would be a winner…and was not.

Point well taken, I should have said believe I have the nut :relaxed:

I finally used this ploy last night for the first time in a relatively low buy-in SnG last night and won 10k+ on a river showdown…it was exhilarating! :relaxed:

2 Likes

well done :slight_smile:

2 Likes