Did I make the right move?

Hahahaha,Hahahaha, Hahahaha

1 Like

If you want to credit an opponent with good play, use “wp” or “vwp”. I have never been comfortable with crediting a player with cards over which he or she has no control; even if it is a “Royal”. There is no skill involved here.

1 Like

shouldnt have called.

even if you had pocket aces, with 4 opponents all-in the chances of your winning is quite low. in a normal game where opponents are good, the chances of all 4 opponents having air is also quite low, even if only one had shoved and had something like pocket nines you are the favorite to lose over 50% of the time.
you had the advantage of being out of position and seeing all of them shoving, one which you wouldnt have if you were in middle.

ok… first of all “nh” refers to the way in which the hand was played. Period. I have no idea how so many people get this wrong. It has nothing to with the strength of their hand or how pretty the cards they have are… they had no control over those things so why would you complement them on those things? It’s not even a complement… it means nothing… because they did nothing to get them… just random dumb luck. It’s like saying “nice dodge” or “nice run” to a football player when the defenseman tripped trying to tackle him, completely missed and wound up tackling another defenseman to give him a free TD… like what? The receiver didn’t do anything?? He just ran in the general direction of their endzone and got lucky… Their defense did all the work for him he did nothing… Makes no sense to complement him there he didnt dodge squat.

Would love to see people stop saying “nh” cuz the guy had quads or a boat or a flush or whatever… so dumb… nh refers to how the hand was PLAYED so if you think it was played well… say nh. say wp. whatever… if you dont you can still say nh to be nice but ffs dont be referring to the fact that the guy caught a flush or something I might scream.

@sjdbsjfb what you just said is ridiculous… if you don’t know how to play poker don’t go around giving advice. In general the math is simple… If you have any hand all-in vs 4 opponents you’re about 20% to win, regardless of your hand strength… luckily… vs 4 allins you are getting 4:1 on the call MINIMUM (might be some dead money in there). In practice, you are never EXACTLY the same % to win with any hand despite being in vs 4 people. AA is ALWAYS favored to win over all other hands and while you will win less than 50% of the time in this situation you will still win more often than the other players will and you are easily getting odds to call. Never fold this… You could make an argument for folding something like 23o despite the odds the pot is offering you and I would entertain it… but if you have something as bad as 59o I’m calling here. Easy decision… no thinking… just close your eyes and click call. Now if I’m snap calling 95o here… imagine what I’m doing with AA…

This also does not take into account stack sizes (let’s say, for example, that you have $10,000 in your stack… one opponent of the 4 has $10,000 in THEIR stack and the other 3 are all in for around $2,000) In this case you’re going to wind up with a main pot of $10,000 where you must beat 4 people to win it… and a side pot of $16,000 where you only have to beat one opponent… This is basically what we refer to as a free roll. You are going to increase your stack by 60% in size 80-90% of the time and then you are free rolling to win another $10,000 in the main.

You know what I didn’t actually read the original post in this thread. Just for the record if this was a tournament and for your tournament life then you could argue for a fold with AA in this spot - that’s totally different than just playing poker tho.

Sorry just read the original post… You made the correct call RandomChamp. You’re only in vs 3 opponents and an easy favourite to win. Don’t let whether you win or lose the hand (or the tournament) make you wonder about your decision. Real poker players don’t care about the result of the hand… they care only about the choices they made leading up to that result and the reasoning behind each of them.

If I was playing vs a bunch of other pros then I would fold AQs here… but in what you describe as a “soft tourney” easy call. easy.

Depends on your style of play but I would definitely advocate for a call here. It’s early in the tourney… it’s a tourney… you have to take good opportunities to make a bunch of chips when you get them (it’s a tourney). Blinds are going up you’re on the clock. Here a bunch of fish are offering to give you a crapload of chips you can’t say no to that imo.

Now if it were later stages of the tourney (near the bubble, near making FT, @ FT (laddering “ICM” considerations) then you could definitely argue for a fold because you all have the same stack size (but that wouldn’t be the case that late in the tourney and stack sizes would really determine what the correct play is in that spot). Early in the tourney? Call.

Incidentally, if you’re playing on Stars… for real money??? You should probably just go to 2+2 forums or join a poker training site if you’re going to ask questions like this… don’t ask them here you will just get a bunch of opinion bull^&(^%# and not much REAL information.

Also, if you’re going to be playing tournaments, working out a table of Nash Equilibria before you start playing can be very useful. VERY. Useful.

As for your second spot with 66 I would just open shove there Preflop. Your description of the stack sizes indicated a situation where you should consider yourself push or fold. You also didn’t mention the chip leader was the BB… don’t really want to attack the chipleader in the situation your describing… want to be able to threaten other people’s tournament lives to force them into folding… and I don’t believe you had enough chips to be able to threaten significant damage to the chip leaders stack at this point either. So raising when the Bigstack is in the BB isn’t good. The fact that you’re immediately on his left is AMAZING and you should be shoving on the guys to the left of you when they’re in the blinds CONSTANTLY… SO GOOD… But yeah 66 is good enough to raise even tho it’s the bigstack in the BB… but should just be an open-shove.

After opening and getting called - understand the chipleader has an insane chiplead and if you’re opening to 2.5BB (which is correct sizing… though not in this spot) he’s getting a great price to see a flop… so yeah… they will defend with stuff like 74o… sometimes… doesn’t necessarily make it a mistake. Once you see the flop… he X’s… I would X back OTF… the SPRs suck here… if you CB and he remotely likes his hand he will just Jam on you… even if he’s just putting you on like AQ or AJ or something and thinks you missed he will Jam… and because of the board and what your hand ACTUALLY IS… you can’t fold… which is not a spot in which I want to put myself… I would rather X back and play a turn… and if he leads on an innocuous turn then iiiiiii can Jam on HIM… (much preferable)… although once you get to the turn you can argue for just calling and taking a river… If you are going to bet flop and get X/Jammed on or whatever happened you should call… you can’t fold here unfortunately.

1. nh, gh, vnh … all have “hand” in them, not “play’d”, therefore it does in most ways ( +50% ) indicate strength of hand.
  2. wp, gp … do indicate how something was play’d.
  3. gk … for example rewards the outcome of the hand.
  4. The biggest “meaningless” comment ppl make, is just saying someones name.
  5. Every hand does not require encouragement.
1 Like

I’m adding my new acknowledgment - WE - Well Executed :wink:

Even though the odds of making the call with any hand over 20% equity is +ev, when your tourney life/real money is on the line, its just dumb to go all in with 5 players with aq early in the competition with over 25bb.

you hurt my feels saying idk how to play, i chalenge you heads up best of 5

@Ash2538 you are also missing a point in the math. don’t insult other players when you don’t fully understand either (or just don’t insult them at all actually).
he is trying to help even when this part is missing in the math.
i agree on the part that you need less equity if you are playing 5way. so aces is insta shove no matter the action. AQ however is more speculative as is obvious.
but the part you are missing is that the odds are also decreasing when more players are involved. if you would call 95o like you said then you are playing at a huge disadvantage and losing a lot of EV.

haha, fun idea. curious if he does it :slight_smile:
just an idea: no matter how it ends, post the results on the thread to have a little extra to play for.