Did I play this Royal Flush wrong?

I feel like I could have gotten more chips from the other player. Did I play this hand wrong. Here is the clip: https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/391521715

2 Likes

Beautiful hand! It may have worked in your favor to slow play him a bit more, but in the end, you gave him fair warning. He can’t hate you for it!

2 Likes

Congrats on the Royal Flush! It’s hard to say without knowing anything about your opponent but in my opinion, I don’t think it could have gotten much better, with straight and flush draws on the flop already. You called her/his pot-sized bet on the flop easily so she/he was probably cautious anyway, and she/he called your nicely sized turn bet after tanking for a bit as well. Your raise on the river was obviously heavy, she/he might have called a smaller raise? On the other hand and knowing a little more about the opponent, I might have thought about checking behind on the turn as there wasn’t any river card that could have beaten you and this way you might have induced a bluff (instead of her/his min bet on the river).

3 Likes

I concur with Jonahh 100%. We could quibble about the size of your final raise, but realistically, I doubt you lost more than a few hundred, and perhaps not even that much. Well done.

3 Likes

Thanks for the insightful input guys! I appreciate it. I do agree that I went in heavy on the river. The reason I did that was because the guy was calling everyone’s all in bet previously, even on the river, so I thought he would call mine as well. I guess my all-in stack was quite big so maybe that’s why he folded. I feel as though, he would have called another 3000 bet or even raised my 3000 bet on the river thinking I didn’t have a better hand since I didn’t go all in.

2 Likes

i think you played it really well on every part of the hand.

the only flip side to consider betting less is because the Ks on the turn clearly was a scare card to him.
but considering the betsize compared to the potsize, it seems defenitely like the right play.
even if you knew for a fact he has the QX hand he reps, i still think the betsize was fine. and since you had a read on him already that he was a calling station, it makes your shove even better.

well done :+1:

2 Likes

Congrats on your Royal Flush! In general, I think you played it as well as possible.

At higher stakes, a 3-bet preflop to about 2200 might have been better. AJ suited is a pretty strong starting hand, and has decent playability across a wide variety of flops (broadway/flush draws, if you hit top pair you’re probably good). If the UTG player 4-bets on you, you’re probably in rough shape, and can reasonably fold. On the other hand, if other players know you’re capable of 3-betting AJ, they might be more willing to call your 3-bets when you hold much stronger hands.

Unfortunately, 3-bets at that stake level (that tourney costs <3K chips) are extremely rare, and generally indicate the 3-betting player has rockets or cowboys, so again - you probably played this as well as could be expected given the stakes.

1 Like

You obviously had the best hand. I would raise a little maybe to 1200 and let the opponent re-raise you, then re-raise again till you are all in. I’ve been in battles like this before and get maximum chips every time. Nice hand btw. :slight_smile: