CONTEST - The most important poker skill

THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED. THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING!

Which of these poker skills do you think is most important to success at the tables? Share your answer below and tell us why, and you could be one of five participants to win 100,000 chips!

I’ll be drawing names on Monday, June 18th. All you need to do to be eligible to win is comment with your thoughts. Winners will be chosen at random.

Best of luck! We can’t wait to hear what you think, and if there’s something that isn’t included on the list, share that with us instead. :clubs: :hearts: :spades: :diamonds:

5 Likes

In my opinion the most Important skill a player should have is patience. The reason why is because you can go hours without getting a good, playable hand so you need to be patient and not make a bad decision like limping into a pot with a weak hand during this time.

-Marc

5 Likes

Its both Patience and observation…patience to observe the other players in the game before going in for the kill !

4 Likes

Luck.
By a mile.

1 Like

Patience and Observation! No question. I think Patience wins out just slightly, but if you have both you’re going to do OK.

1 Like

Patience. It isn’t everything but…oh nevermind, ALL IN!

4 Likes

read the players, not the cards

I’m totally convinced patience is the key. When I am not in the frame of mind to allow me to be patient, I lose. When I have patience as my middle name, I win (more).

3 Likes

Patience is paramount. Employing that enables the Observation to take place. While observing, Math can be employed to enhance #1 and #2. Patience is the foundation to success!!

2 Likes

100% Patience, if you don’t have patience and get angry or make rash judgement’s more than likely you will lose the pot and or lose the tournament. If you are calm and patient and wait for a good hand then bet your chips wisely you will come out on top and the pot will be your’s.

3 Likes

Having fun! Win, lose, or draw, it’s just for fun!

Math is the foundation upon which everything else is built. Without it, how would you know what you are being patient for or what you are observing?

7 Likes

1st Patience, 2nd Patience, 3rd Patience…and mindset, math, disciplin and… AA preflop :wink:

LOL :joy:

I agree patience is the most important, but observation–as opposed to merely “watching”–is a close second. Had it read "knowing the opponents’ rather than observation, I’d have gone that way.

2 Likes

Patience. Nothing else matters if you can’t wait for the right moment.

Also, I’m sure I speak for most when I say that ‘patience’ is NOT defined as ‘waiting till your clock runs out before folding’ :wink:

2 Likes

I thought I played pretty good poker at other online sites. However, I have observed that Replay poker players are a slightly more intelligent sort. I was losing chips like crazy, making and calling bad bets. A player, out of the blue, advised me to “watch” the board. Players tell their hands by the way they bet. A simple but effective piece of advice. So, OBSERVATION (Player Notes and Memory), has been quite a successful skill for me.

1 Like

I am convinced patience is the tool needed to place high. Some players bet big the first 10 hands or so just to get in the lead - obscuring the table more than half the time they get beaten out. I do have notes on some players but they don’t play the same way all the time. I don’t believe in the intuition players swear by – their ESP, or whatever, lol. For me being ready to play should be on the list – being relaxed and ‘in the poker mood’ is key. If I come on just to play I never do well…

2 Likes

If playing live or in person I think observation is tops, but when playing on line I think patience is most important…I am a walking billboard with my friends as far as Replay Poker is concerned…simply the best on line available…that is why you should draw my name for the 100K.

1 Like

I would have to say Patience but the rest of the skills mentioned are all important.