CDC information source about COVID-19

There seem to be a lot of people concerned about the novel corona-virus called COVID-19.

This is a useful resource for COVID-19 information about almost anything to do with the disease. It is updated frequently. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has offices in various parts of the USA and partners with the World Health Organization (WHO) and most foreign governments. The site appears to be readable in Spanish and Chinese as well as English. There are little “language symbols” near the top left of each article.

The best preparations you can take appear to be frequent hand washing with soap and/or alcohol-based sanitizer with 60% alcohol by volume content. If you have and use a netti-pot to wash out your sinuses, use sterilized or distilled water, not tap water. Clean your cooking and eating utensils and surfaces regularly.

Face masks are not generally recommended for people who are well; they’re for people who are sick or have a cough (to contain the germs and protect others). If you must be in contact with an infected person, do wear a mask, wash your exposed skin regularly, and change to freshly laundered clothes (heated clothes drying is best) frequently.

Don’t panic. Even if an otherwise healthy person contracts it, the chance of being killed by COVID-19 appears to be in the range of ONE HALF the chance of drawing two consecutive cards to fill a back-door flush (in other words, about 1 in 46 tries, if you prefer to think of it in numbers). For most who get it, it will merely be an unpleasant influenza. The highest risk is for those with compromised lungs and/or cardio-vascular issues.

My money is bet on us. Humans will get through this, just like we have with every other disease we’ve encountered. We’re tough and resilient and we never give up. We’ll even out-live the rats and cockroaches.

Now, shuffle up and deal.

10 Likes

Nice post Alan25main, I hope people actually take the time to read this as it is very reassuring and comforting to know that the World Health Organization is working very hard at putting an end to this scary virus. The preparations you can do to help stop or spread this virus are easy ones, hand washing it being the up most important. It’s good to know it will not kill every person who is effected by this virus and knowing this might help ease some of the panic. Again this is a great post and a must read. Thanks for posting Alan25main :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well done, Sir!

Thank you for posting this, useful information !!

1 Like

Back to the top !

1 Like

Thanks for the info, Alan.

1 Like

bump

1 Like

UP!

up again

Upsie-daisie!

The CDCP is still updating this site daily (sometimes with multiple new items).

Also, I notice we are still getting 10 to 15 new “views” daily, so I’ll continue bumping this topic up to keep it visible for a few more days…

I just now saw this and want to thank you for that. We should all be concerned but life goes on and we will for the most of us be OK. Play on Alan.

2 Likes

A friend sent me this video produced by CBC (Canada) by way of the Daily Mail. I’m guessing it was made a week or two ago, as some of the information has changed in the interim. Dr. Peter Lin is a family doctor in Toronto. Dr. Lin mentions that the elderly are the most at risk; he also mentions the young. In fact, there have been almost no cases of children under 10 having died. No one knows why not, but that’s just too large a group to be a coincidence. There has to be a reason. The other change is if you need to self-quarantine, expect to be there a minimum of 10 days, not 7. Here"s the link to the video (You may have to "right click the link and tell it "go to the video, then left click “open the video” at the lower left of the screen): https://dl-mail.ymail.com/ws/download/mailboxes/@.id==VjN-TZUYbwPv6okXUPfRzuZJEY8MhQAV1KAVzQFIgu8YHG5zP-Ocf_LeyaTz297JBp5-_tmbZU_QP6bd5QzJLzvu9w/messages/@.id==AKMVML1bTerhXlwxpQbZ6D9OhI8/content/parts/@.id==2/raw?appid=YMailNorrinLaunch&ymreqid=1ab19e45-4cd3-63d4-1c5a-2e0000017000&token=zitEzqOML3j84e6ealFTT5U7-km5qEQF52lp7AcCuBYw_t8bSY9DHmsJM-D2vaOa4Ic865EISKQq0dblzqXWbnTBjHFFWROQmmFEzf7t6xI6y0cZDZK87O4GU8LnZAz6

1 Like

i really like this

1 Like

It seemed like a simple comparison poker players could put in perspective easily from daily experience. Now, if the numbers just hold up… We can never forget the fluke draws and bad beats do happen, but not all the time.

Older folks with cardiac issues and/or reduced lung function have a bit more to worry about. Transplant survivors on immuno-therapy drugs are also at higher risk.
Younger children, on the other hand, seem to be surviving well. I hope “young at heart” counts.

1 Like

This is the latest health advice sent out by the Veteran’s Administration–Alan25main 6 Mar 2020

Dear VA New England Veterans,

Talk of the new coronavirus (COVID-19) is everywhere. Here’s what you should know and do to keep yourself and your loved ones healthy:

Coronavirus and Cold Symptoms

• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Keep your hands clean by washing with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Stay home and away from others when sick (and keep sick children home from school).
  • Cover your coughs and sneezes with tissues or your arm/sleeve.
  • Dispose of tissues in the trash and wash your hands afterwards.
  • Keep frequently touched surfaces clean using disinfecting wipes.
  • Get a flu shot.
  • Check the CDC advisories prior to planning travel.

If you have symptoms of fever, cough, and shortness of breath or have come into contact with someone who is sick, we are here for you. Most likely you have the flu or a common cold. Staying home to take care of yourself is one of the best ways to avoid spreading any of these illnesses. If you need medical advice, please call your local VA medical center at the number below and select the option to speak to a nurse before visiting the facility. Tell them about your symptoms and any recent travel.

1 Like

The following link is to an interactive map (updated in real-time) by Johns Hopkins detailing the number and location of confirmed cases worldwide broken down by country, the number of fatalities so far, and the number of recovered cases so far:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

2 Likes

up!

Coronavirus: Australian newspaper prints extra pages to help out in toilet paper shortage

Excerpt: One newspaper has gone one step further by printing extra pages in its editions to help out those who have been … caught short. On Thursday the NT News, the Darwin-based newspaper with a national reputation for its headlines and antics, printed a special eight-page insert that can be cut into toilet paper. Its editor, Matt Williams, told Guardian Australia the paper was selling well and was “certainly not a crappy edition.” “We are a newspaper known around the world who understands the needs of our readers,” he said. “Territorians … are in great need of toilet paper right now so we had to deliver what they needed.” The stunt comes after supermarkets including Coles and Woolworths have been besieged by shoppers clearing their shelves of loo paper and hand sanitiser. [Presented without further comment]

2 Likes

I pulled up the newspaper on google made interesting reading.

2 Likes