Bankroll

How does somebody achieve a bankroll of over 18 billion chips in 3 years?

For players who can easily beat the competition, the higher up in stakes they go the more they win. And the chips lost at lower stakes filters up to them at the higher stakes too. A player at the 500k/1m chip table can win 100 million or even 500m+ in a single hand, so accruing a few billion isn’t that hard. That being said, I haven’t done it so who knows. They are that much better than the player pool.

I do know that on replay the level of competition is so low that there is very little risk. The play is so face up that you can easily fold versus most aggression, so you really only need 5-10 buy ins to move up (assuming you are crushing the games). You can take the starting stack to 25/50 and double in a few hundred hands then move up. If you bust just go to the bank. And then just keep playing the level where you have 5 buy ins, and if your winrate is 50 to 100 bbs per hundred hands you’ll be in the hundreds of millions in <50k hands.

3 Likes

This plan is good for your first couple billion at least:

1. Be better than most players at each level. Stating the obvious, I know. Like Joe said, the standard is not that high and you can beat most levels up to at least 50k/100k just playing basic tight-aggressive poker. Any level of study you put into improving your game will put you miles ahead of the average player.
  2. Play ring games not tournaments. You can win much more, much faster.
  3. Be aggressive with your bankroll. Again, I echo Joe’s advice - you only need 5 buyins to move up to a level if you are solidly beating the level below.
  4. You can get there in less time if you can successfully play multiple tables at once.
1 Like

Thank you for the info you provided. Very helpful. My wife doesn’t understand why I wanted to know. I love the competition, the aggression, the depth of the game, etc.
Again thank you,
All the best,
Mike

4 Likes

Really good information in your post. Thank you very much. I’m a competitive person, and poker has been my favorite pastime.
Thanks again.
All the best,
Mike

2 Likes

Watch players 2-8 in the top ten, if you know poker you will how simple you can own them. I make 7 bills in 2 months playing 1/10 the hand they play. if this is the best players on the site, you see how easy it is. I will have 50 bills if I don’t play drunk

4 Likes

Do you also play for real money? There are lots of reasons why people don’t, but the games at 10NL or live $1/2 are extremely easy, even for a player like me. There is more aggression in those games than here (largely because of rake) but it seems like you would do well in real money. It’s definitely helped me see my own leaks, though the decisions at 10nl are pretty easy.

I played for money at Bovada for a few months at NL5. I used tracking software that helped me see leaks in my game and I eventually became a winning player (1 bb/100). I eventually chickened out and quit though. Online poker is illegal here. But Replay is beautiful. I thought I’d never enjoy poker again, but this site is amazing.

1 Like

Yes, I have watched you and some of the other top players on the toplists trying to pick up anything from your game that might help me. Thank you for your post.

All the best,
Mike

You do realize they sell chips…???

Yes, but what person has bought 18 billion chips? At regular prices (about $100 for 3.5 million chips) 18 billion would cost over $500,000.

2 Likes

Yeah, but who’s gonna buy a half million dollars worth of chips. Do the math.

I only asked how someone achieved (not bought) that many chips.

Misar, I was replying to teeber51, who seemed to suggest that a person could achieve this level of BR by buying chips. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

You’re right. My bad. I didn’t realize you were replying to teeber51. He ruffled my feathers.

I believe gamergirl posted a screenshot with her Replay Poker ‘First Purchase Special’ offer still not used. She had about 1 billion at the time so I doubt if she needed to buy any since then.
Edit…
She had over 8 billion at the time.

1 Like

Oh please! “That much better” with winning hands.
Give me the best hand and you can have all the talent you want. I have flopped a royal flush, four of a kind, and a little wheel. Guess what? They’re winners. I don’t think the board is fair.

I’d note too that as long as your edge over your opponents remains constant (which it won’t, as players do get better as you play at higher stakes tables), bank roll growth is exponential. So through about the first billion or so, I saw a fairly constant doubling rate (it actually declined slightly, but the effect was subtle enough to be hard to notice).

I’d double my chips, and then play on tables with double the stakes. I’d double my chips again, and then play on tables for twice the stakes.

Note also that bankroll management matters a lot here, otherwise normal volatility can wipe out your investment capital.

Agreed that there is no skill in flopping a monster. The skill is in how you play the 99% of the time when you don’t.

2 Likes

There’s another thread titled, “How to recognize a strong player”. If I were to instead create another thread, “How to recognize a weak player”, I think comments like

I don’t think the board is fair

would deserve a place as one of many reasonably reliable indicators.

3 Likes