Ask Yourself What They Can Call With Before Re-Raising All-In

You know, I play pretty crazy and I like this intrigue. :crazy_face:
But in fact, when making certain decisions, I most often do not start from the question: what can the opponent have?
I start from the question: how much am I willing to lose?
Indeed, any better hand can have a better hand until the cards are opened and the river is not on the table. I like to watch the players: how they behave in a given situation and draw conclusions about their game. But, until it comes to All-In, Iā€™m ready to make a call every time I see at least some perspective in my own hand. After all, sometimes itā€™s really hard to fold after going quite far. Itā€™s easy to analyze someone elseā€™s hands, but everyone, it seems to me, has done crazy things.:see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Interesting strategy article, it has helped me a lot, I like reading about poker strategies, it always helps me improve my game at the tables.

1 Like

It happens with Free chips, but yes great to be able to analyze their hands and I will always agree, what can I make of my hand and how much can I afford to loose. That is the key to success and managing my Bankroll.

as you probably know I am rather tight, this makes people think they can get me off a good hand with a big bet and I am often looking for that, I will just flat call most times but it depends on a few things like what I put them on, stack sizes and of course the player, we play with the same people often and I know most quite well plus have notes on pretty much everyone.
with the Tom Dwan hand, I would probably re-raised as not many hands could beat him
but I think it is never a bad move to just call without the nuts though.

plo was mentioned and that is a whole different ball game and yes I can be taken advantage of with a good bluff, I know someone usually has the nuts so usually donā€™t bluff without a good read and position.

1 Like

with that hand dwuan would easily raise again in that case I would do the same to get value from a hand that I would have very little chance of losing

The most important thing is to get the most value from your nutted hands and know when you are beat. So I feel that studying rangeā€™s and bet patternā€™s. Example: player 4 bets pre we can narrow down to AA KK or AK suited and it depends on the type of player.

Actually, you have to ask yourself on all streets, if you are the leadind bettor and someone keeps calling. Depending on the stakes, some good players might be setting traps and letting you hang yourself.

1 Like

Too many players go ā€œ all in ā€œ on garbage cards so all conventional wisdom goes out the window

In my opinion i would play it similiar like T.Dwan because he acted correct if you dont wanna risk everything but for me it is a fault from villain because his (semi) bluff wasnt good enough that dwan would have folded his hand!

Well, here we have the player Tom Dwan with a pair of 7s against the player Doug Polk with 5 4 suits, Doug Polk decides to bet, but doesnā€™t hit anything on the flop, from here on, Polk starts to play by bluff, chasing a straight, In place of the player Doug Polk, I would just call the BB to see the flop, or call a low raise of 2x the BB if I had a lot of chips, not hitting anything on the flop, not even a flush draw or straight, and the opponent raised on the flop. post flop, my decision would be to fold.

I wouldnā€™t call all-in in Dougā€™s place with 5 4 suited, whereas in Tom Dwanā€™s situation with pocket 7s, I would raise pre flop, check post flop, raise turn, and all-in on the river.

What a nice poker strategy post.
I think itā€™s fascinating to think about mind games about anticipating opponents.
Deciding between all-in or a call feels like a mental maze.
As a still beginner, sometimes I really donā€™t know what to do and I end up going for the wrong decision most of the timesā€¦

1 Like

That`s the moment when you can loose a game by trusting you got the better hand .
I use to call most of the times when i got a hand like that. i think its about play safe.
Hard decision but i agree with Tom. Better be safe than sorry.

He has a good hand and I would raise again if I were him. Poker requires risk, without risk you wonā€™t win anything.