Who is the #1 Poker Player in the World?

I’d like to hear your opinion on who you think is currently the #1 poker player in the world.

Also, the all-time best ever poker player in the history of the world.

There is no wrong answer unless you pick Phil Hellmuth… lol

< Just Kidding! >

You could add a picture, video or any information that’s interesting about the player.

The first player that is mentioned 10 times in each category will be considered the winner.

Take your time and think about it!

1 Like

I’m not up to date with the newer players so can’t comment, but the most impressive all round player I have witnessed would be Phil Ivey, he is an expert at all the poker games, cash games or tournaments plus a host of other gambling card games and he would be my number one of all time

1 Like

I think your picture says it all, isn’t that Stu Unger, 10 high Stu, he was the best, and I am going to have to agree with swampy Phil Ivey for modern times

3 Likes

Yes, it’s Stu Unger!

Stu Ungar and his remarkable 10-high call:
:
Stuart Errol Ungar, widely regarded as one of the greatest gin rummy players and a top Texas hold 'em player, made history in the poker world. In 1990, Stu Ungar had a chance to become the only player ever to win three World Series of Poker (WSOP) Main Event titles in freezeout format. Having already been crowned champion in 1980 and 1981, Ungar held a commanding chip lead as the tournament neared its conclusion in 1990. However, his bad habits got the best of him. After a night of snorting cocaine and overdosing, he missed the final day of the tournament and ultimately finished in 9th place for $25,050, simply by being blinded off1.

But that’s not the end of the story. After recovering, Stu Ungar was keen to prove a point to the new world champion, Mansour Matloubi. He challenged Matloubi to a $50,000 heads-up freezeout match. During this high-stakes duel, an infamous hand unfolded that showcased Ungar’s incredible reading abilities.

With blinds at 200/400, Ungar held 10-9 offsuit, and Matloubi had 4-5 offsuit. Ungar opened with a 4x raise from the small blind, and Matloubi called. The flop came down rainbow: . Ungar, known for his occasional overbets, chose an unusual moment to utilize this play, betting 6,000 into a pot of 3,200. Matloubi, with just a gutshot draw, made a questionable call. Both players checked the king on the turn, and the board remained rainbow. Then, a queen fell on the river.

At this critical juncture, Matloubi overbet and shoved all-in for more than double the size of the pot. In a stroke of genius, Ungar called out his opponent’s hand: “You have 4-5 or 5-6, I call.” To everyone’s astonishment, Ungar flipped up his ten high, winning the match and proving his point to the world1.

This legendary call has entered poker lore as one of the most amazing moments in the game’s history. Stu Ungar’s intuition and reading abilities remain a testament to his poker prowess, even when holding just 10-high2. Truly remarkable!

1 Like

Stu Unger i would say the SMARTEST and best EVER–so sad that drugs took him before we could all see his greatness:(…Kid Poker is near the top i would say now-but MANY good young ones out there…

1 Like

Agree-and not even close

1 Like

We have a great start so far on this thread and I thank everyone.

The fun part is to take our time and sort through the evidence.

If anyone finds anything interesting regarding the contenders, please post it.

As time goes by, we’ll gather together some very interesting information.

Got to love Ivey and his response to Negreanu at the beginning of the video!

The best online cash game player today is either Linus Loeliger or Berri Sweet.

The best live cash game player, IMO, is Dan “Jungleman” Cates. Plays all the biggest games and consistently wins against the best.

In tournaments it gets a lot harder but I really like Stephen Chidwick. He gets a lot of respect from the other top players, too. Not really any holes in his game.

2 Likes

Another piece to the puzzle from this video, Tom Dwan Biggest winner in High Stakes Poker - Daniel Negreanu biggest loser.

1 Like
1 Like

oh and DUH Phil Galfond is the PLO GOAT! His Galfond Challenge was one of the most exciting poker events in recent memory, and if I recall correctly, nobody was able to best Phil heads-up.

1 Like

Dan Cates Wins Back-To-Back World Series of Poker $50,000 Poker Players Championship Titles - Poker News (cardplayer.com)

Top 5 Stephen Chidwick POWER PLAYS

Thanks again to all for your participation.

@Younguru Bro u forgot Donkbusta 444 lol jk :rofl: