Another spot with bbkids

That sounds like fun. Playing with HUDs and databases is not fun. So many people were doing it that you had to do it.

The med-ish tournies i play are like trying to play Jenga on a roller coaster. The tables move around so much, I rarely have anything on anyone. But new players every hand? That’s too far. That’s not even poker, it’s just math homework.

1 Like

Another follow-up wet in-position bet sizing:

This analysis of Pluribus’s 3-bets showed that nearly half of the late-position (HJ, CO, and BTN) 3-bets were between 3 and 3.33 times the size of the initial open. Only 14% were smaller than this.

On the other hand, Pluribus used a much larger 3-bet size out of position. Over half were greater than 5x the open size, while another 30% were between 4x and 5x the open size.

In short, 2.6x an open size is small for a 3-bet in position, according to the solvers.

2 Likes

f[quote=“WannabeCoder, post:42, topic:13724”]
In short, 2.6x an open size is small for a 3-bet in position, according to the solvers.
[/quote]

Yup, I agree, the price for vilain to call is just too good, especially if you 3-bet light with A5s for example. Accordingly, if you’re not 3-betting light, you’re not valuing your hand enough.

1 Like

Well hell, there’s a button right there for it! The guys who put that button there probably know a fair amount about the game. I mash the thing every chance I get. Yeah, setting 3-1 pot odds might fold out weaker draws, but I mostly do it because I like buttons.

1 Like

Funny, because I basically never use the buttons. I always just type the number myself, but it’s inconvenient since you’re losing some precious thinking time. Especially with no time banks, it could be cool to see a change where you could customize your own bet size buttons, by choosing them by yourself.
I think that here on replay I’ve made some bad decisions just due to that…

P.S. Even with such a change, time banks are needed though…

1 Like

OK Dayman, if I was V in that hand, I might consider running a crazy chicken line on you. (I name betting patterns I see or use a lot to make them easier for me to remember)

Crazy chicken goes: open or 3!, 1/2 pot on flop, turn chicken and check or x/call the turn, then go crazy on the river. This works well against aggro players when you have the nuts or near nuts. V had position, so he would check behind on the turn.

It would be hard for you to resist betting the river, how much would you bet? What happens if you bet and get raised?

Basically, i would “sacrifice” the turn action to get a better position on the river. This is not without risk, because I am giving you a free card. I think you lead the river for more than my 1/2 pot on the turn, and I think you call a bigger raise than I would have gotten with a 1/2 pot bet on the river.

Anyway, I was curious how you would react had he checked the turn.

1 Like

Vs bb when he x’s turn I know he’s doing that with some kind of value. He could be taking his free card with fd’s too. We’re in a 3! pot that I called pre oop and then called his flop c bet. So if he x’s the turn and the 9d comes off I’m mostly looking to bluff catch him on this river. When I do decide to bet I would bet large and fold to a raise. He would lose value with his specific holdings in this spot by checking the turn.

You being relatively unknown to me at the tables, I would have to go on what information I have from our interactions here and other post I’ve seen you comment on. In this case I know that you play almost exclusively tournaments I would take a similar line as the one with bbkids not expecting you to get OOL too often in 3! pots 150 bb’s effective. I’m probably mostly betting the river for value with you and folding to raises. At least until I’ve personally witnessed you making big bluffs in these spots, at which point I may reverse to a more bluff catch line like with bb, x/c river.

I know a lot of players think oh a set, I have the nuts and stack off whatever the effective stack is. In reality though I’m pretty far down in my distribution here on this river. I can have lots of nut flushes, lots of straights and there are 3 sets 4’s 6’s and 9’s that I can have better than the 333 I don have. So really, I think I could have found a x/f on this river if I was playing my best.

Thanks @SunPowerGuru, great thought experiment. Cheers!