Completing SB in MTTs

This is one of my favorite MTT exploits.

People play the BB way too passively—not raising nearly as many hands as they’re “supposed to” when multiple players limp, especially when the limpers come from late position like Button/SB. These are very weak, wide ranges that BB should be punishing with a lot of raises, but in practice, most players are happy to check back and just try to hit flops before they start betting.

This means that if there is at least 1 limper, we can complete the SB and get instant 6:1 pot odds on our investment with little fear that BB will raise and push us off our hand. With antes in play, the odds are even more enticing.

Especially late in tournaments, when winning the blinds can be a substantial pickup and shorter stacks are starting to play shove/fold more often, making it harder to see flops with marginal hands, I use this play at a very high frequency to give myself more opportunities to pick up some chips.

As a bonus when we hit, our opponents have no information about our holding and have to mostly guess where they’re at. We can win some big pots making disguised, random 2pairs and stuff like that. It’s just a very profitable spot against fields that are too passive from the blinds, which most Replay MTT fields are.