A Memorable Childhood Book

This is a completely new one to me. I’ll look for it for my great niece. Thanks for responding to this thread, Cassandra!

I never knew that Ivanhoe was essentially Robin Hood! Now I must read Ivanhoe. Thanks for responding to this thread, Simplyhere.

1 Like

Love love love love love!

1 Like

Least we not forget the beloved Hansel & Gretal.

1 Like

Tom Sawyer and To Kill a Mockingbird.

1 Like

Black Beauty was certainly a favorite that I read more than once. My mother also started buying the “Just William” series as a Christmas present for a few years. Those I loved.

1 Like

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Treasure Island, all the Tom Swift and Tom Swift, Jr books, The Three Musketeers, The Count of Monte Cristo, Moby Dick, Les Miserables (which I hated–it’s the only novel I’ve ever heard of that was improved by being made into a live staged musical), all of E. R. Bourrough’s Barsoom novels I could find, The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, Canterbury Tales. Poetry by Kipling, Robert Service, Lord MacCauley.

2 Likes

You had a rich reading experience in childhood! Wonderful list.

1 Like

Puddinhead Wilson by Mark Twain

3 Likes

Glad you posted this, squeaky. I loved this one but read it in college. (gasp) Come back and post again! Good luck at the tables.

What a busy child .

2 Likes

…or perhaps not too busy to read books! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I read it as a kid good book

2 Likes

great Minnesota quarter back

2 Likes

read it very scary

2 Likes

I’ll need some clarification there - born in Pittsburgh, played college ball at Louisville. Not sure how Minnesota comes into the equation.

Now Tarkenton - there’s your great Minnesota QB - and probably the single most underrated QB in NFL history. Weird to call a Hall of Fame QB underrated - but he was so much better than most people think.