Played at two tables with CFW tonight, both times he raised huge with marginal junk hands that I routinely get destroyed with, and each time he hit the nuts and took huge leads early with them.
I need a mathematical explanation of probability that can tell me why players can play like this and hit ridiculous hands, while I can try to emulate this and mostly whiff while V who calls me either destroys me or edges me out.
Yes, it’s “why not me too” tilt. I still need to understand this.
Huge opens, even bigger raises, calling anything, hitting every time. Why.
K7o, top pair on the flop, calling bets all the way, v feigns weak on the river like they missed a draw, I big bet, they kill me with AA. Zero credit given to my hand for maybe having the flush or trip 999s on the board.
A5o in early position, raise, get re-raised immediately,
3 others call, “why not jam here, it works so well when anyone else does it?” Shove, multiple calls, lose, missing a straight by 1 card.
I’ve ruined my week, losing 5 out of the money in a row, and am grouchy about it. Still profitable on the week, but now the 2nd place wins feel like wasted opportunities that I’m bitter about not winning at least half of them since I was way in the lead on all of them. Where I was once at 130% profit, I’m now down to 43%.
- I can’t hit a flop for weeks at a time.
- I get ridiculous suckouts on me all the time. Donk calls hit miracles against my monsters.
- Flops come in 7-high any time I have two unpaired broadways, and anyone who calls my 10BB open should not have cards in the range that hits the flop well, BUT THEY DO.
- Any time I try to slow play or trap, not only does the board end up making it great for drawing hands, V is ALWAYS playing the drawing hand.
- It doesn’t seem to matter, as if I fast-play, V calls with wrong odds and sucks out anyway.
- Check-raising doesn’t work if no one bets after the check.
- They can check-raise me any time and always have a better hand when they do it and I call.
- I fold junk hands and watch them hit straights and two pair, trips, while the hands I hold out for to play can’t connect with a board more than 1 in 8.
I win too much to be a terrible poker player, but these hands make me feel like I’m a terrible poker player. And these hands are being played terribly. But I see other players playing terribly and vacuuming up chips 3-4 hands in a row and then dominating from there out with bully tactics.
I’m 1-5 on the night, now, with a 2nd place finish where I should have had the win, but lost the lead twice and couldn’t get any action on a late AA hand, but shoved 99 on the next hand, got called by T8, who lucked into a T on the turn for the biggest pot of the game. And fully four of the losses tonight were absolute giveaways where I played deliberately stupid because that’s all I see winning tonight.