Who says gg first the winner or the loser?

He was trying to say, " WHY put the T and not the Y after the T" for TY lol

1 Like

jujube i watched my first baseball game yesterday and at the mound the winning team gathered around and bounced up and down then doused themselves in gatorade…did not see one handshake but i guess you are right somehow

So I wrote Miss Manners on this subject, and she agrees with my philosophy… The winner should extend a ‘good game’ to their opponent first. It is simply showing good sportsmanship as well as implying the opponent gave the winner a run for his money, made the game a good challenge for both players. But, should the winner not give a good game shout out, it is also acceptable for the loser to express his good sportsmanship first, unless he thought it was a crappy game, which is when loser can blame his loss on Replay exclusively. …

5 Likes

or when someone shouts “YESSSSSSSSS!!!” when they knock you out or when someone else knocks you out! Absolutely uncalled for, rude comments like that. I dont consider anything with good, or nice as in gg or nh impolite…good as in good game is always ending the game on a positive note, I think.

4 Likes

I play a lot of my poker on my Android phone, and it does not offer the opportunity to participate in chat, so remember if somebody does not respond to a GG comment, it might be that they are not able to.

8 Likes

Or muted from the chat. I received a private message from someone on my friends list telling me that. I had no idea, So I say GG to everyone that leaves the table and I’m never offended if I don’t get a response. Something to think about….

5 Likes

I all ways try and say gg tc,when a player leaves . I’m here to enjoy the game and meet like minded people, and maybe become a better player.Just play your cards is my Motto. GL to Everyone lets have a GG & Fun.

7 Likes

I’m ok with what you have written here, and just want to add a thought… Miss Manners may have been thinking about an in-person poker game, rather than online… No way to know, but it seems kinda logical to me that that would be the case… I’ve never given a thought to this issue, and just wanted to say that at Replay I try to remember to always say “GG” at a minimum, and often add a comment or two if time is on my side to do that…

2 Likes

I’ll say gg if the keyboard is handy. My keyboard is often pushed under the riser I use on my monitor, and I’m doing something else on the desk as I play, so I don’t always get a “gg” out.

A lot of people leave very fast after they bust, so I don’t care who goes first, or if they say anything back. I don’t see it as a big deal either way.

There are people who take GG as an insult too. I dont really get this, except that there are people who see everything in the worst possible light. Sad, but such is our modern world.

I say NH when I bust out, not GG. Their game isn’t over, and GG feels like something to say at the end of things, not at some point in the middle of their game.

3 Likes

My thinking is - the player who still has the chips should be saying gg -

This is a pet peeve of mine. The winner shouldn’t say GG. I made a thread about it some time ago and almost no one agreed with me (which is common around here)

I think it’s gracious of the loser to say GG. But of course the winner thinks it was a good game, they won!

agreed - that is why said player - winner - should say gg.

1 Like

I find it condescending for someone to say gg to me or to anyone if they have clearly not had a good game. I especially think so if it is early in the game when someone is knocked out and a player says gg. I save my gg for near the end of the game when the player has already finished in the money or very near so.

2 Likes

It’s silly for the winner to state what should be obvious: that they thought the game was good. Why not also say the sky is blue, while you’re at it?

The classiest thing in poker or any competition between adults is for the winner to say nothing until the loser does. The loser may feel understandably angry and any efforts at consolation can be misinterpreted or simply unwelcome. I find depending on the context that GG could be seen as gloating, which is why I don’t say it. If you must say something I prefer things like “take care” or “you played better I just got lucky”

1 Like

It’s called Good Sportsmanship and a lot of times the one that gets knocked out relpies back saying
"ty you to gg "

2 Likes

I say gg tc

1 Like

Geez. Seems like some folks see “GG” as the equivalent of “FU”. Waaaaaayyy to sensitive. It’s just sportsmanship, folks.

I will say that I save my “gg” to when it gets down to me and maybe two others at the table. At that point, the “GG” is earned because clearly, we’ve all played a “GG” to get to that point. Win or lose, I’m giving a “GG.”

(Or a “FU”. What can I say, I’m fickle with a temper. But I mean it with love.)

4 Likes

Well said…and :rofl: to the latter part

3 Likes

I like being a gentleman and good sport at the table no matter if I crush your hopes and dreams or not. “ it’s nothing personal “

5 Likes

You might call it that; however, I can’t imagine anyone that gets knockout of a tournament early thinks they had a good game and for you to say so isn’t sportsmanship but condescension.