Where Do You Find New Music?

As an elderly sort of person, I recall finding new music by listening to the radio. Disc jockeys had the joy of playing new tunes, and that’s where we all discovered new groups and songs. I don’t listen to the radio nowadays–I think few of us do–and so I’m finding new music by following the Replay Poker thread “What are You Listening to Now?” My question is this: Where are all of you finding the pieces you post? They’re not all trips down your memory lanes, I can tell.

3 Likes

the old 97’s was a band that came out of Eugine Oregon got about 7 albumens by now … i like hitchhike too Rome… aka Bule grass

2 Likes

partied at the 10 mile mountain bash!!!

1 Like

My job includes long drives one-on-one with teenagers. I allow them to select their music, and some of them have surprising taste–Dream pop, modern country, classical, classic rock, sixties, gospel, trauma music (a recent teen was playing songs and poems about people coming to terms with traumatic childhoods). When they’re with me one-on-one and have access to my Amazon subscription, they don’t have to match their friends’ tastes and play whatever is on their minds.

Some of it ends up on my playlist later.

3 Likes

who needs new music when you have AC/DC and Darius Rucker?

2 Likes

I used to own and operate an Alternative Rock internet radio station, so I usually get a lot of suggestions on what to listen to. I also look at the Alt charts, and if I see something new, I give it a listen.

I have done a lot of searches for various types of World Music, so my YouTube feed is full of oddball stuff. That’s how I found The Hu, my favorite Mongolian throat singing biker group.

Other music comes from going down one internet rabbit hole or another. A fella might start by looking for cat juggling or cheese sculpture, and then, a few clicks later, be watching someone playing Beethoven on a harp they made of toe nails and nose hair.

Just search around and start moving in music circles.

6 Likes

There are a lot of good music festivals in the USA. I go to quite a few of them. Always lots of original songs at them as well as the older classics. I like the Bluegrass ? Rockin Gospel venues the best.

2 Likes

Y’know - kind of weird - but a few years ago a great source of “new music” was to be found on television commercials. I’d hear a catchy riff, do a bit of googling, and found some interesting music I never otherwise would have found. Here’s a couple of examples:

Found from a Heineken commercial - Asteroids Galaxy Tour:

Found from a (I think) Bank of America Commercial - Eddy Current Suppression Ring:

Whole bunch of others, but I don’t want to flood the page (Pomplamoose, Jung Youth, etc. etc. etc.) So anyway, next time you hear that cool little hook in a commercial, do some research on it - you might be surprised by what you find!

3 Likes

That’s a new idea to me. Commercials have always been “those things I skip” to me.

1 Like

I have to acknowledge, I’ve found some new artists from TV shows. I love Fiona Apple but didn’t know her before the TV show “The Affair.”

And another–the TV show “Justified” performed by Gangstagrass

Neither of these would be pieces I would find in my normal everyday life. I would be more likely to find this in my normal everyday life:

2 Likes

i pick up a lot at music festivals - non headline bands , also musicinafrica.net is a good source for all genres of African music on the web .

2 Likes

Oooh—great source. Thanks Redcloud203.

1 Like

I have a lot of friends that are musicians they tell me about cool new bands like…Exile The Icon song is called Red check it out .Also Post Profit ,one more would be The Horrors song is called So now you know.

3 Likes

JanCee …That dude looks just like my boss!

1 Like

I go to YouTube

3 Likes

I am a child of the 60’s/teenager of the 70’s…So, yes, a great deal of my music collection is a “trip down memory lane”. When I need something electronically I can usually find it on YouTube, Pandora or Spotify.

1 Like

Jan Cee this dude is my boss his name is Alfred

1 Like