What was your very 1 ST car you owned? Any related stories?

I had a 1978 Scout II with a plow.

It was front heavy and in the snow there wasn’t much traction.

Had to take the turns slow and easy.

No longer did I need to take a bus to high school so I was happy to have it.

6 Likes

My first car was a 1973 Plymouth Duster, white, a wedding present from both sets of parents. No special stories about it–just loved having my first car, even though I had to share it with a husband. lol

3 Likes

Love how “you” had to share it with him lol

My friends wife would always correct him when he said my to “ours”.

Mine was a Mazda 929 1986 turbo. I used to drive standing up through the sunroof occasionally with lil bro n sis when I was young & dumb. Fun times.

Some people name there car too. Part of the family. Reminds me of Marshalls car in How I met Your Mother story.

2 Likes

Jan, 1969 1st owned was 1962 Corvair. Bought with $575 poker winnings from Vietnam.I Wrecked it.
Mar, 1969 2nd was a 1963 Ford, I’ve forgotten the model. Somebody hit that one.
Jul, 1969 3rd was a 1960 Triumph TR-3 with a hole in the gas tank (but gas was only 28 cents/gallon at the time). Paid $175. It caught fire while I was at work and I had to walk home.
Dec, 1969 4th was a 1970 Subaru station wagon, bought new for $1400. I drove that one for 12 years til it died of old age and rust…
Times have changed–and so have the prices.

6 Likes

Maybe I should add that this car cost our parents $1,500 per family–a total of $3,000 for the brand new car. (I wouldn’t own it if they paid me now!)

1 Like

1968 Camaro, 327, 4 speed, side exhaust. I bought it in 1977 after I graduated from Marine Corps boot camp and arrived at my first A school in Pensacola, Florida. I still have it and only take it out on Sundays in the spring, summer and fall. Can’t drive it in New England Year round lol. I’ll never sell it.

7 Likes

Hey thanks for the opportunity to join in my first forum i appreciate it well the topic
My first car was a 1991 Nissan i always like Nissan because the parts was every were
Nissan and Toyota good resale value to the dash start to crack and i stupid get rid of it
but it was a great car i bought it for 5000 us from a guy or 5500 i think but it was a good
car fully loaded power windows doors staring , i have a Toyota but i still like the Nissan peace .

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forums, mcgeary. Enjoy the games and the friends you’ll make. Good luck.

1 Like

Shortly after turning 17 my husband and his band mates presented me with my very first car. A brand new 1969 MGC Convertible Roadster. The card said it was for being such a “trooper” for taking care of them for the past four years. So that’s what I named her. Spent hours and hours tooling around the Welsh countryside. She’s been across the ocean three time, and now, with over 100k on her, she sits in my garage as a loving memory of the best times of my youth.

4 Likes

That was great

1955 Chevy was first but my favorite was a 1962 2 door hardtop Impala with 327 cubic inch engine 4 barrel carb three on the tree transmission it was a runner…

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, Julie_31! Hope you return often.

My first car was a burgundy 65 GTO. My mother bought it for me. She was like that. (I was supposed to pay her back. But didn’t. I was like that. Sorry Mom.)

4 Likes

1964 Chevy Belair station wagon…327 …4 barrel…auto. Paid $125 in 1969. Worked on it and was a sleeper on the street…

2 Likes

66 VW Bug before “Movin on up” to a 71 Super Beetle (it had a defroster) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the Replay Poker Foru, backcheckus. Hope to see you here again!

I learned to drive a stick shift in a 1976 Scout in a hay field in Wisconsin. It wasn’t my first car, as I wasn’t yet old enough to get a license. Some may say that it isn’t “cool” to teach your children to drive before they are old enough by law. My reply (and my dad’s thought) to this: If you are going to venture into the back woods, you need to be prepared. This means that if something “should happen”, then the child should be able to start a boat motor and run the boat to a safe dock, or drive a vehicle to safety if there is an accident. I can assure you all that all safety precautions were taken. As I mentioned before…it was a hay field. The “Scout” was quite a machine. Ours had a trailer hitch on the back AND the front (for negotiating one particularly treacherous boat ramp). We spent many nights “camping” in the back of it (no need for a tent when you have a large cargo bed). Fond memories. I hope you have similar.

First car I purchased: 1986 Canyon Red Thunderbird with the V-8 (instead of the problematic turbo). Had to be careful on wet roads even with good tires. Could pass anything except a gas station.

5 Likes

My first car was a 1967 Dodge Charger. Cost $850 in 1971, when gasoline was 43 cents a gallon at the ARCO station. At about 8 mpg that was important. The car was Sunburst Yellow and came with the big broad-stripe sidewalls we called gangsterwalls. Times were different then, most of us rolled with an icechest of beer in the back seat.

Many cars were to follow, most much less obnoxious. My favorite was the Blue Bunny, a 1988 Mazda 323 hatchback that I like to say I drove to the moon. Put 253,000 miles on it in 25 years. May she rest in peace.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Replay Poker Forum, U238. Hope to see you here more often.

First car: 1976 Camaro, bout brand new for $4800 cash that I’d saved for four years. 185hp stock, knew Lee Hurley who was Neil Bonnett’s first car builder and he replaced everything in the motor and I was set to go! The front suspension gave out in 81.

4 Likes