What Type Of Poker Player Are You?

I’m a growing player. By that I mean I actively seek out those that play better than me. Been doing that since I first showed up knowing next to nothing about strategy. My friends are always amused that one day I’m up 5 mil and the next I’m playing 10/20 games trying to build my bank back up over 20k. What they don’t realize is that, while my strategy might seem foolish to some, they are amazed at how well I do heads up. They don’t realize that my odd way of approaching this game is teaching me more and faster than those that prioritize keeping their banks full of chips.

And, quite frankly, while my style can be quite frustrating, it’s also a thrill a minute at times.

Continuing the discussion from What Type Of Poker Player Are You?:

I have always played very tight and close to the vest…this goes for real life and online poker games!!! Unless I am dealt a strategic “monster” of a hand, I tend to sit back and watch opponents on how they handle certain situations for awhile…once you see how cards are falling and what hands you’re being dealt, then you can slowly start to make moves…it’s all fun!!! Why else would we be playing right??? Everyone has their own strategy when it comes to this game but in the end, it’s all in how the cards fall.

2 Likes

Typically am conservative, but always evaluate the players’ style at the table and adapt. I might play very atypical based on what other players are doing overly aggressively or passively. Always adapt to the situation but not meld to it

1 Like

That’s cool how you figured out your profit returns, how did you do that? I’d like to know mine. As for raising and going all-in on the flop, I think it can be good in some scenarios, all though it is definatly more risky. The reason raising is good over calling before the flop is because you have fold equity. This is especially important when stacks are short and your stack is somewhere around 6-20x the Big Blind. If everyone else has a garbage hand (which happens) they might just fold if you play higher stakes and pick up much needed chips. While it is annoying when you miss flops, you will miss flops weather you raise them or not it doesn’t really change the chances. In fact, when you raise pre-flop you will commonly have less opponents to deal with and therefore, more likely to have the best hand. Raising also can be better than Calling because when you call before the flop and someone else raises, it puts you in a tough spot, and your forced to put more chips that you wanted to and your opponent usually has a range advantage on you (When the possible hands your opponent has on average is better than the hand you have.) On the other hand, in lower stakes, people tend to call with an insanely wide range of hands before the flop, some seemingly never folding. When this is true, raising can be good because it gets more money in the pot, and if they call with tons of junk, more often then not, you will win the pot more than them if you continue to play your cards right. When I play against calling stations like this in lower stakes. I have three exploitative strategies:
1.Raise big with your best hands, they rarely fold and its always good to have more money in the pot and you most likely have the best hand.
2. Call often with other callers when you have a speculative hand, which is a hand like 87s, J10s, and 33. These hands are usually bad and you can just fold to a single bet after you miss the flop, but hands like J10s and 33 have the potential to make very strong hands that you can just put your entire stack in for. These calling stations will call you down with their K2 offsuit and you will a lot.
3. Fold your junk. There’s no reason to bluff or get fancy against these players.

Balance minus (sum of daily bonuses plus chips purchased).

For example (my own data):

Balance: 501,731
Chips purchased: 65,000
Sum of daily bonuses: 415,500
Therefore: 501,731 - (65,000 + 415,500) = 21,231
Or: 501,731 / (65,000 + 415,500) x 100 = 4.4%

It’s a bit of a time-consuming job. I copied and pasted all the data from my bank transactions onto Excel. It’s only 5 to 6 months of data for me, but someone who’s been on the site for years is gonna have to listen to a few albums of music while they do this! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Balance: 888,872,032
Chips purchased: 0
Sum of daily bonuses: ~2,500,000
Therefore: 888,872,032 0 (0+2,500,000) = 886,372,032
Or: 888,872,032 / (0 + 2,500,000) * 100 = 35,554.9%

I’d say I’m a loose-aggressive player. I’m still fairly new to the game and don’t get to play enough that I’m able to just sit back and let others dictate the game. I like to get right in there from the start and have fun with it. I play with the idea that if I make a mistake from being aggressive, I’m more likely to remember it down the road and not make that mistake again. Since I’m constantly up and down with my bankroll, I’ve found it really helpful to use a bankroll manager to make sure I’m on top of it. Has anyone use this one?

Je remarque que quasi tous les joueurs limp et post flop mise pot, ce qui est assez facile à lire quand ils ont ou pas. Le niveau ici est plutôt débutant, je m’en sors pas mal donc après quelques années d’expériences de jeu. Le défaut des joueurs je pense c’est de trop limper, ils laissent entrer toute la table et attaque trop fort au flop, la plupart se comit, en fait avec ce genre de joueurs il suffit juste de l’avoir, ils font le reste du boulot. C’est surtout le niveau assez médiocre des joueurs que je souligne. Ayant un niveau au dessus, je suis gagnant sur ce site (dommage que ça ne soit pas en réel money lol).
Translation…
I notice that almost all limp and post flop players bet pot, which is pretty easy to read when they have it or not. The level here is rather beginner, I am doing quite well so after a few years of playing experience. The fault of the players I think is to limp too much, they let the whole table in and attack too hard on the flop, most of it is, in fact with those kind of players you just have to have it, they do the rest of the job. It is above all the rather mediocre level of the players that I emphasize. Having a level above, I am a winner on this site (too bad it is not in real money lol).

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum, Sfign. Great post. I am guilty of the limp, and you have clarified for me why it’s so dangerous. “they let the whole table in” Thanks for the thoughtful contribution. And congratulations on doing well. If it were real money, I wouldn’t be risking it! lol

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m very new here I really don’t know what sort of player i am - any tips to help self analyse would be appreciated.

1 Like

I’ll help but you need to tell everyone what type of player do you think you are and we all can go from there.

I am a tight player, but everything depends on context. I play pretty much exclusively in tournaments, who the strategy is quite different from ring games, because the objective is to win large pots at strategic moments, get the the final table, get into the money, then knock out the remaining opponents, so strategy changes as the game proceeds.

Early in tournaments when the blinds are small, it is best to play very tight, because you need to maintain a stack size such that just one double up and a couple of good pots will put you into a good position at the end of the first hour. By folding as many hands as possible, you allow opponents to make mistakes while you sit back, and they will. Also while folding most hands preflop you can observe opponents, guess their hands, and predict what they should have done, when they are bluffing, and so on.

However, even if you are playing tight, you sometimes need to get into pots with bluffing hands like small suited connectors if a situation with good betting odds presents itself, or if you observe that a player calls everything from the BB with garbage, but always folds to continuation bets.

If you know a certain player will make a pot size bet with any two broadway cards, you may be able to reraise them from the blinds or late position, and then take down a large pot when the flop looks good for you even though you have trash. Also sometimes your trash hits a big hand on the flop, which really disgusts opponents. Just tonight I took down a pair of pocket aces with my 9 6s, so even though I am a very tight player, my opponents might not think so.

If you play loose, you may win many pots, but you will also lose some big pots when you make second best hand, for example you make top pair with Q8, but are beaten by QJ, or you get the bottom end of a straight when opponent has top end, or get a low flush, and are beaten by a higher flush, so this strategy is less effective in tournaments than in ring games, because in tournaments just losing one or two big pots may end your tournament.

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum. Hope you come back often. I think maybe an insight about your type may be contained in your site name: Loose? lol

Thank you Bluffalo, as a new player, i found this very outline of strategy very helpful. Cheers!