What Type Of Poker Player Are You?

There are different types of poker players. Typically tight players and loose players. Which type of player are you and why?

I consider myself to be a tight player. I like to pick my spots and win as many chips in the pot as possible but without taking unnecessary risks that a loose player might take. Sure I play less hands because I’m a tight player but when I do play hands I often have more success and win those hands that I do play.

-Marc

5 Likes

I’m an analytical player. Not only do I play the cards but I play the players at the table. After a bit you get to know your opponents game style and that makes all the difference in the game.

5 Likes

I’m a fairly tight player. I don’t take risks too often, mostly because my joy is in the people at the table. I want the pleasure of the game with these particular folks to continue. Even a wise risk threatens me with banishment. :slight_smile: Call me soft. lol

7 Likes

I play defense, almost always. But, sometimes, the best defense is a strong offence. It often works.

3 Likes

Banishment, hahahahahaha. I’ve been there before lol :joy:

1 Like

Loose Aggressive

2 Likes

I’m more of a LAG than most on Replay; on cash sites and based on ranges, my overall PFR is somewhere in the high teens and VPIP in the low-to-mid twenties, which is on the tighter LAG side traditionally.

But it also depends on table dynamics, table size, and what cards I am getting. It’s funny when people think I am a maniac because I raise 3 hands in a row or assume I am a nit because I fold 15 times in a row. Variance happens.

6 Likes

Understood. I just left a table where 80% of the players made bets that were way beyond their holding! Yes, 80%!

That 80% didn’t change even when I took the time to tell them that their strategy was insane!
After a while, I just collected a big bundle of chips and then left.
The number of players that take this approach seems to be climbing. However, there is little that “Replay” can do without requiring a poker strategy entry school attendance for all newbies! Lol.
My choice is to have a quiet game with reasonable players. Sometimes I find it, and I can play again.

2 Likes

And by the way, I have had a run of five major hands. After the first two, everyone wanted to call me!

1 Like

Depends on standard of players, type of game, stage, and my position.

3 Likes

Right!!

1 Like

I started out extremely loose-agressive, raising every button and cutoff when folded to me, triple barrelling for no reason open jamming with 20 BB with k9 offsuit on the bubble of tournaments, etc. Now I’m gotten progressively tighter and I pick my spots more. I will never call myself a tight player, but instead a crafty, exploitative player who takes advantages of the general weaknesses of my opponents.

1 Like

Guess you would consider me fairly tight. Being less experienced than many here ,I play the lower level tables There seems to be a large number of high pre-floppers with nothing or players who will chase the river. So somewhat tighter seems to work best for me

lame

1 Like

would delusional be a shorter description?

1 Like

I think I’m probably Timid: I pretty much never get involved in a hand from any position except the big blind when no one raises pre-flop. I’ll usually fold AA to a raise pre-flop: since it’s only a pair, I know it won’t hold up. If I somehow end up with the absolute nuts on the river, I might venture a min-bet, and hopefully won’t fold to a raise out of shock.

Or wait, I guess I’m actually a Maniac: I’m going to bet every time it comes around to me, and my main question is what street will I go all in on. I try to mix it up: sometimes all in pre-flop, sometimes on the flop, sometimes on the turn, and sometimes on the river. But every street needs a bet: perhaps a small bet; perhaps around half pot; maybe pottish; over-bets are fun; and going all in is the best.

Oh well, I suppose most of the time it is somewhere in the middle, but it is nice to venture out on the edges every so often, also.

1 Like

I would say i am a tight-agressive, but i often change my style depending on my opponents.

cool

I would consider myself a tight player most of the time, but it strongly depends on the table, the outs, the bets and especially my emotional state.

If I am content & relaxed with myself and the situation I can be whatever player I need to be to win big pots :smirk: but if I play Poker to compensate a bad mood, rough day or any kind of anger, I tend to loosen up too much, play a more aggressive style and sometimes lose quite a lot of my chips :pensive:

2 Likes