What is the most powerful move in poker?

mark the sun and let the sun pull down the cloth

You see, here is the corollary to that. If you play in low entry tournaments that put no risk on your total Replay chips stack, no matter how well you do, you cannot win many chips either.

For example, tonight I played in this tournament (below) which had 129 entrants, and I finished in 2nd place, but because the buy-in was so low (5K chips) my net profit was only 89,500, which is hardly better than winning a 9-seater sit’n’go that costs 25K to enter, so not much reward for over 2 hours of play.

If you want to build a big stack and get a higher ranking on Replay Poker, you simply must parlay winnings at lower levels into entry fees for more expensive tourneys, and make sure you get in the money. If you keep on playing at the same level all the time, it will be very hard to grow your hoard of chips.

Incidentally, I was told by the tournament leader with a huge stack at one point early in the tournament that I was a donkey. I replied that he had a lot of chips and I was planning to take away all of them. He laughed it off, but I took a few big pots from him, then doubled up through him with top pair of Kings with Queen kicker against his pair of Kings with 7 kicker, then someone else finished him off.

When you see someone with a megastack early in a tournament, it usually means that they have been in a multiway all-in fest and come out the lucky winner, but such players often call raises with any two cards and are very vulnerable when they get a piece of the flop, and generous with giving away their chips.

In this tournament I remember folding AQ, AT, A9, A8. A7, 99, 66, 44 preflop on one or more occasions as these hands will often get you into expensive trouble, especially if there is an early raiser.

I also saw one hand where a player raised from early position with AK and was reraised all-in by the button with AQ. Naturally AQ won on the river.

1 Like

right on! claps

I hear you, you are telling me that you were able to win big pot with just top pair. but you see this is against opponent who are not taking tournament seriously. Against good opponent I am afraid those kind of plays just will not work.

1 Like

@Ilovecat ,
The above MTT ( American Dream ) playes more serious that you’d think. Since you play way above this level you might not apriciate just how serious it is by the final table. You have ppl who can make great bonuses, for a Leaderboard that you better play every day, and you better play good every day to win ( 5k/15k )

I’ve seen ppl play just 1 regional a day, plus a few xtra 5k and 15k MTTs and consistantly move up bankroll. Yes I do mean playing both variants in each regional, so 5k & 15k each day… Such players parley just that, into the monthly Leaderboards as xtra bonuses for no xtra work… and if you play 2 each day, all the better…

I find The Regionals, to be the best serious poker @ the lower stake levels on Replay.

2 Likes

Can you explain the “regionals” and “leaderboards” better. I don’t understand them. I just sign up for whatever MTT game is open when I am available to play and sometimes for a sit’n’go if there is nothing open. I noticed that I have been credited with some kind of bonuses sometimes, but this was purely accidental from my point of view.

Yes, I did win a big pot with top pair, but I had observed the chip leader consistently limping into hands with any two suited cards and had decided that if I was to make headway in this tournament, the best option was to try to double up through him. If I lost, I was out, but in these tournaments you have to get out ahead of the pack or be ground down.

Actually my play on this hand was pretty atrocious. I bet the flop, was reraised by the loose player, shoved and was called by opponent (one other small stack was already all-in). The primary opponent had, as I suspected, King with a lesser kicker. The preflop betting did not suggest that he had AK or KK. Both opponents were on the flush draw. Had primary opponent hit the flush, he would still have been beaten by the small stack. Since both opponents were on the flush draw, they served to obstruct each other as there were only a maximum of 7 hearts in the deck.

Calling off your whole stack on a flush draw is a fairly common tactic in the early stages of these tournaments, and it is worth noting the players who obtain large stacks this way, because they may be more vulnerable later on. I admit to having done the same thing myself as a last attempt to double up or quit.

Many times I will fold a marginal hand at the flop if it looks like I am up against flush draws and it is expensive to go. On the other hand, a flush draw is not a bad hand for a bluff, especially if you have an additional pair on the flop, so if called, at least you have outs. In tournaments you really need to look at stack sizes all the time. A player with a large stack is likely to casually call on draws, whereas a player with a smaller stack is less likely to pay half his stack for marginal draws unless he has already decided to go all the way.

Profitable bad play.

https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/494188009

From your dashboard, click the “promotions” link and you will see all of the leaderboards and leagues listed on the left. The “regionals” are listed under leagues.

There are 4 regional leagues: American, Asian, European, and Oceanic. Each features 2 tournaments a day. Each has a 5k and a 15k, the starting times are in each region’s “prime time.”

Some, like the gemstone leagues, have a “first 7” and a “best 7” board.

Each tournament lobby will say which leaderboard it applies to. This is listed in the tourney lobby on the upper left.

If you focus on 1 or 2 boards, you can easily earn a few million extra chips per month, so they are usually worth messing around with.

1 Like

OK, thanks, that is very helpful. I would never have figured this out alone.

1 Like

Also, before a tourney starts, the lobby usually has links to the leaderboards that are applicable to the tourney shown. SNGs have leaderboards too, so you might want to check them out as well. There are also special promotions going on most weeks that also have leaderboards where you can win more chips. I played here for quite awhile before I realized the advantages of playing for leaderboards.

Growing one’s bankroll is far from linear, either in play chips or real life. It’s generally a logistic progression, with some up- and down-swings to account for the random nature of wins and losses. At low stakes, with a skill level that outpaces the field, you’ll see exponential growth. As you move up and encounter tougher competition, your win rate will tail off, and either you’ll fall back to lower stakes where you can survive, or maintain your bankroll size.

My bankroll has steadily grown at an exponential rate since joining this site, excluding long periods of hiatus. Even at my current stakes (1K/2K and 2K/4K rings) I’m seeing huge winrate, picking up around 1000 BB over the past two weeks and growing my bankroll by about 25%. In other words, it may have taken me a year to grow my bankroll to 3M, but in the past two weeks I’ve been able to grow from 12.5M to 15.5M.

Of course, bankroll management is important. I don’t want to jump up the stakes too fast and have my hard work wiped out with a brief downswing, so I’m sticking to stakes that will allow for relatively minor adjustments to my overall bankroll, never buying in for more than 5% of my bankroll on any given table.

4 Likes

5% of bankroll seems very conservative given that you’re crushing the games you’re playing. What’s the standard deviation on your winrate?

1 Like

Let’s just say it’s not uncommon for me to get felted, or double an opponent’s stack. I play fairly aggressively - large opens, regular c-bets, the occasional triple-barrel bluff - so I do want to have a bit of protection when it doesn’t work out in my favor.

I’ll probably stick to the 2k-4k rings and 250k tourneys until I’m sitting on 25M.

3 Likes

Fair enough. I would just encourage you to take some shots at the next level up - you’re a good player and more than capable of beating 5K/10K here.

2 Likes

I haven’t read through all of the posts yet but the 2 most powerful things that come to mind to me are:

1. you need to bluff (or you won’t win)
  2. stack size (form of bankroll management while playing)

:grin:

I played deeeeeeep into the Oceanic and Asian regionals several times during the month I was aiming for some of that sweet, sweet leaderboard loot. You end up encountering a lot of the same names toward the end and the play gets intense because you recognize these players and how they play. If I’m not mistaken, the very high stakes here at Replay are similar in that regard (usually the same people). Definitely worth a shot if you want a change of pace from whatever you’re doing here.

The most powerful move in poker is winning. Next…

1 Like
  1. Back raising at aggressive tables seems now to be the new x/r. I’ve been doing it in my live games quite a bit lately (at least once per session) and it really messes with my opponents heads. It’s hard to balance though(not a huge deal at 1/3, 2/3 and 2/5) so be mindful of the opponents you choose. Not that it doesn’t throw very good players into fits, but if not balanced it can be exploited.

2. Over betting vs V’s capped range is a great exploit vs weak players who allow them selves to be put in these spots.

3. I’ve said enough, now I’ll go out and get owned by anyone reading this post. :wink:

2 Likes

haha

1 Like

Showing your cards is extremely hard to balance and I would never recommend doing this unless you are unquestionably the best player at your table as you can exploited. My humble opinion.

Maybe the powerful move he refers to is the actual study of the game, what ever that might mean to another person is up to them to discern. Still don’t know what point you’re trying to make with your reply/comment. As to the HH you posted I only see one marginally good play which was the sb raise, marginal due to sizing. Needs to be larger over this many limpers. The other being the call with A5, not pre fop (that was bad) but on the flop. Every other decision in this hand by every player was pretty bad. This includes every single limp/call pre, the bb call pre, the sb shove with JJ on that flop, the QT (he had QTo not QQ btw) calling the shove, the AJ calling the shove. I guess if you’re the A5o you have to call the flop after getting in this spot in the first place.