What is correct ethic?

in a mtt when a player does poorly & had but a few bb remain
often seems they wish quit event & just sit-out for the rest
this slows down play, as they slowly blind out

if a player wish to exit an unsuccessful event, wouldn’t it be more appropriate to just shove?

3 Likes

In MTT’s, you have the option to check the Sit Out box option and I don’t think it will slow things down.

I may be wrong since I haven’t used it in some time. It was to do some personal business.

1 Like

I think sitting out is the better option. I see shoving hand after hand to get out of a tournament to be more disruptive.

3 Likes

Once they get short stacked any tournament player worth their salt will be playing push/fold. They’re sitting out probably because they gave up and abandoned the game.

1 Like

I think the question was.,. if you do give up and want to quit, shove or sit out?

Of course you’re going into push/fold mode if short stacked and you’re still trying to win.

3 Likes

If they are sat out they do not slow down game at all … they simply get blinded out

5 Likes

Does anyone know if you were to check the Sit Out box and then you are moved to another table in an MTT game, does the Sit Out option follow you to succeeding tables?

Thanks,

2 Likes

I don’t remember if it was grapevine or tiandra where I got the idea from in another thread, but I was at a table, things happen and I really needed to leave, so I asked the table if they want me to shove all in on the next hand or just sit out. I don’t see anything wrong doing either, but I didn’t have a preference at that time, so I just asked the other players. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @smooth99,

Your status will follow you if you get moved to another table. So if you’re on a sit out and a table rebalance happens, your next table will show you sitting out. I hope that helps.

4 Likes

It depends. Tournaments can be tricky for many reasons.
Just to name two: #1 You are playing on the clock. Not like live action.
#2 There are only a set number of players who will end up in the money. Not like live action where when each hand is over, up comes another roll of the dice. Always be aware of the clock and when the limit changes take place. Also be very aware of how your stack of chips compare to the rest of the players in the game. Sometimes by running out some time on the clock when it is your turn to act, the limits of the blinds go up after your turn and some other players might blind out and put you in a money position. Being aware of the time left on the clock during a tournament is a really big deal. You may never have to play another hand and come into the money because other players blind out before you do (if you can delay the game at the right moment). Another reason is, if you can delay the game during the right time when it is your turn and the limit goes up, some other player or players might get desperate or play a losing hand and get knocked out of the tournament, once again putting you in the money. You will also notice that sometimes players will fold very quickly so that they hit the smaller blinds just before they do go up to the next higher limit. In a lot of daily tournaments, it is common to pay the last table (9 or10 Players). So, when it gets down to about 14 total players on both tables, go look at the other table to see how many other players might also have short stacks and cannot get past the blinds coming up. Using the clock is totally legal, so learn how to use it wisely. I cannot tell you in how many tournaments I have used the clock and gotten into the money and sometimes won First place or any of the other money places just because I knew how to use the clock. Poker is knowing the odds, analyzing the other players, and knowing other little things like how to use the clock. Good Luck.

4 Likes

very good advice ty ace

You are very welcome, Krista.

I was a Poker Tournament Director for many years in Las Vegas, California, Poker Cruises out of Las Vegas and Phoenix.
When I was not running a poker tournament, you could usually find me playing in one somewhere. You would be amazed at how much I learned from watching good players play the game. When I was running a Poker Tournament and it got down to the last 8 players, I would pull up a chair behind the empty seat and turn the chair around backwards and sit down. It was now a spectator sport for me (and I knew exactly what happened when the dealer had to call for a floor person).

By the way, I just started a chat session like this myself, under,
Aceto5

2 Likes

thank you so much ace… wow you sure have tremendous experience, your comments and advice are much appreciated
i no think i ever could play live poker… i get too excited & intimidated by other players
i also enjoy & learn from watching other players… the replay of pokerstars final tables of major events is often my favourite… trying to guess what a player will do & seeing if it equates to my potential decisions… soon i going to try enter one the major sunday events when i save up $109 lol… there are usually many thousands of participants but i believe it would be valuable experience

1 Like

Krista, you are thinking like a minnow.
Don’t play for real money until you start thinking like a shark.
Play free tournaments until you have more experience and self-confidence. Poker players are like wolves, they can sense fear and use it against you. Build your self-confidence with a few free wins under your belt. When I started playing live action in Las Vegas it took me most of a year to get to where my tally book started showing a profit every week.

Be patient and good luck, David

1 Like