What decision do you find most rewarding?

What poker decision do you find most rewarding? For me, I think it’s table selection. If I choose well, it will be an enjoyable game and I might even win a few chips. Either result is desirable, but both would be ideal. How about you?

5 Likes

Folding my hand and finding out I would have gotten beaten again on the River. That’s the decision I find most rewarding…

9 Likes

Deciding? There’s deciding in poker? I thought it was just betting! (tee hee)

5 Likes

Making the decision to call allin (usually on the river,) with my tournament life on the line, and being correct.

4 Likes

Going all in against AA

I agree that the most satisfying move is to find a table with people who enjoy playing cards.
To have a table with people who have to raise and think that limping is a mortal sin can be exhausting

4 Likes

I would totally agree with that.

I had a hand a couple of days ago where I was in the BB. UTG raised and I reraised him 3x with AK off suit and UTG called. The flop came rag-rag-rag offsuit and I checked back to UTG who shoved. (This was a final table situation and losing this pot was going to leave me crippled.)

However I reasoned that if he had AA or KK he probably would have shoved preflop, and also maybe with QQ. So his most likely holding was either AK, which would mean a chopped pot, or AQ, which I was beating.

So I called and he flipped over AQ and I ran out the winner of the pot.

That was very satisfying, and to the best of my knowledge was the first time I had ever executed that call in that manner, so I felt I was still improving as a player.

However the next time I made the exact same move (different flop) the opponent had flopped a set of Ts, and I was eliminated–so again I learned something.

2 Likes

I still remember a tournament from a few years ago. My opponent jammed the river after taking a line that convinced me he was on a draw, which bricked. I called him with K8 off, no pair… nada but K high.

That didn’t eliminate him, but it fried his head and he was gone a few hands later. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

The most rewarding decision I’ve taken in poker was to take some time off. I had lost my enjoyment of the game even though I was playing better than I ever had. I spent several years studying and working on my game. I had improved dramatically from where I began. I could grind 6 tables at a time at decent stakes and win at a good rate. I was also bored out of my mind.

Poker has never been primarily about the money for me. I played cards because I enjoyed it. At some point I lost that and it took me a while to realize what had happened. When I did, I took a break from the game and only returned after I really wanted to play again. If I hadn’t taken the time off, I think I might have just quit at some point.

10 Likes

Loved this. I personally find it so valuable to be doing things because I’m enjoying them, rather than because they have become habitual, but often find myself in the latter state. Breaks help to create a space of some kind where I can rediscover the magic that somehow hides from view when chased too regularly.

3 Likes

This one was pretty rewarding. I joined the tournament a little late and this was my second hand.

Although I flopped the nuts, I slow played it down to the river, and my opponent did likewise. THen a raising war broke out. The river was a doozy, giving him the ace high flush in spades.

This is how the hand played out.

To be honest, I think my opponent suspected I might have a straight flush, but would anyone have folded in his place. I doubt it.

If he had put in a meaty raise preflop, though, I might well have folded.

4 Likes

What you learned was to never bet when someone flops a set.
What you didn’t learn was to tell how to see the cards from the back.

2 Likes

checking the river with quads, and have someone behind me shove.

2 Likes

I usually turn my tablet over and take a peek :joy:

3 Likes

Or flopping a Royal Flush and having someone shove…

2 Likes

Flopping a monster. Who doesn’t enjoy flopping a monster? But it’s very easy to screw it up. Flopping a monster happens once in a while - consider yourself fortunate if it happens once a week - so you have to be careful with your decision-making, because you may not get another opportunity for a while. I consider myself to be reasonably good at flopping monsters. When I flop a monster, the very last thing I want is for my opponents to suspect that I’ve flopped a monster. If I’m going to win, I need my opponents to bet, not fold. Check, call, check, call, maybe check-raise. Then take them to the cleaners at showdown. Very profitable.

This is my usual approach. If the flop contains two aces and I’ve got trips, I would prefer not to make it completely obvious that I’ve got an ace. The check button is a good friend of mine. I find feigning weakness to be generally very effective.

2 Likes

Hero calling a bluff all in for a tournament win

1 Like

that’s what happened in my case. I flopped 2 aces, holding aces, and everyone is checking behind me. All I could do is hope someone tries to steal it, or hits something. Can’t remember which was the case, but the button shoved, and I didn’t have to waste the hand. Sometimes you do, when you take that route.

1 Like

so tru

Welcome to the Replay Poker Forum, inkthetrue. Come back often, and good luck at the tables.