Using the Clock to Slow Down Play

Tempting? You would want to push another on Tilt every chance you can. I don’t consider it bad sportsmanship especially in poker.

I would never insult another player during a game because I think there is a fine line between having them go on Tilt vs having them seeking Revenge.

2 Likes

If using slowing down the clock is in your poker toolbox then by all means use it to your advantage. That’s why we have a poker toolbox :toolbox:

5 Likes

Slow Play as I see it.
A time clock is provided for every player on every hand of poker. At
Replay Poker, we believe each player should have adequate time to make
a play based on their personal strategy. Some players need more time
than others. We ask that all players be patient and not make rude
comments or post a series of “z”s in the chat line to express their
impatience. We also ask players not to use the time clock as a method
to retaliate against or provoke others. Intentionally running out the
clock slows the game and makes the experience unpleasant and painfully
boring for all players.

8 Likes

All true.

1 Like

Exactly :+1:t2:

2 Likes

playing in a tournament with a player who lets his/her time run out prior to most plays. seems to be a deliberate tactic to ‘‘ruin’’ the game.

is there a mechanism to remove these players?

Take all thier chips :+1:t2:

2 Likes

You can’t, quickly, as they don’t bet. You just have to wait for them to go out, everyone has their game ruined. You’d hope the site had a way to remove them>?

You also have to realize that some players have “ dial up “ connections which are sooooooo slow and can’t help the slow play vs people like me that have fiber optic high speed Internet.

I know someone that plays here using the WiFi connection at the public library along with dozens of other people that slows the connection way down.

One never knows the situation of different players from all over the world.

I just go with the flow or leave the table.

Life, be happy….

3 Likes

I asked the person why each go was ‘run down’ the response I received was ‘‘auto bet’’, yet from a human! Who then stopped doing it, for a while. All a little strange…But to my mind it’s not acceptable.

I think that it can help mask when you have good or bad hands by evening out the time you use for all your combos. On the other hand if you consider yourself better at playing post flop you may want to play faster to see a larger quantity of hands. ICM pressure can also matter, if you’re low and praying for a bust out or two.

4 Likes

There are a number of players on here who run the clock every street of every hand. Getting moved to a table with 3 or 4 of them is just painful. Sttttttaaaaaaalllllllllllllll, check,ssssstttttaaaaaalllllllllllllllllll… check.ssssssssssttttttttttttaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllll min-raise sssssssssttttttttaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllll, call… Just ruins the flow of a game

2 Likes

Maybe they do it for the DRAMATIC effect??

Btw, I also dislike it but, not enough to go on Tilt.

My View

1. Playing an MTT to cash in and slow playing when you have a small chip stack and hope you move up to the chips - I do that
  2. Promotions / Leaderboards - its tactics -I I do that
  3. @marklou previously mentioned the clock is there to allow players who would like time to make a decision

but… then we get situations which I do not like

• A player goes ZZZZZZZ most times in capital letters, which then makes others be slow - and makes the game even worse and it becomes school playground,

• Players who play multiple tables but can not mange the number of games and simply get timed out (I play multiple tables but will never play more than I can manage) - happens a lot in ring games

• Players who just do it for the sake of it (again ring games) as they want the reaction

I am slow player when it comes to tactical play, but I would never slow a game down just to wind people up and get a reaction - Replay as we can see are working on so much for our overall experience and we now have the app. In the future would be great when you click on report a player there is a slow play option . Also I get operationally would be a nightmare to manage and investigate, but maybe if for example a player has been reported xx amount of times - they are flagged and player contacted and asked why and then decide

Ring games I know the players who do this just because they can - so instead of letting it wind me up I just leave, but that for new players is not a solution

8 Likes

Playing to fast can get you too…I just was in a ring game and was on my way to press check when the player before me went all in . So as you will notice is that I called not wanting too.

5 Likes

Been there, done that too, marklou. Boo!

1 Like

Same here :frowning:

1 Like

Great question JanCee.

Unfortunately, my decision is based on my Internet speed that night lol. I would love to have a fast computer where I use the clock to my advantage. I learned the hard way – had poc Ks in a big tourney and was waiting down the clock. I clicked, TIMED OUT ! I hate to use the check/fold buttons, but I can’t take the risk.

1 Like

Never go All IN too fast when you have pocket Jokers, take yer time and think about what you are doing.

1 Like

I use betting speed in place of body language. Could be fast , could be slow. I might try to show I’m weak or unsure. I might want to show I’m strong, or I might want to irritate someone, it can throw then off their game.

2 Likes