True and Fair Rank Display

So the question is ( True and Fair Rank Display) “ how to rank players on Replay Poker” and your answer is “how many times the player gets to the final table “ got it, thank you….

who do you rank higher – the player who gets to the final table 8/10 times or the player who gets there once and wins it - same tourneys?

What, exactly, are we trying to rank here? Is the player who has the deepest theoretical knowledge and always takes the theoretically optimal action better than one who is willing to deviate from optimal and finds ways to win?

Most ranking systems actually measure what I call “epipoker”… the game above the game. If the goal is to accumulate chips, they play to accumulate chips. If the goal is to accumulate tournament points, they play in such a way as to consistently finish in as high a position as they can, even if this means they never win a tournament or even cash in one.

A good example of this comes from Replay’s Gemstone Regional leagues. Weaker players who play both tournaments every day can do better than stronger players who only play now and then. Does the fact that the weaker player is ranked higher on the leaderboard mean that they are better players?

Ranking systems largely rank the strategies used to do well within that ranking system, not necessarily the actual poker skills of those involved, unless you consider “showing up every day,” to be a “poker skill.”

NOTE: I’m using the regional MTTs as an example only. I am not bashing those who compete in these leagues. The point is that strategies used to place well in ranking systems don’t necessarily relate to raw skill.

5 Likes

You could use a simple ROI calculated as net winnings divided by free chips.

Frankly i don’t understand the obsession with rank.Just play and enjoy yourself !

A new player could log in for 10 days and have 25,000 free chips. They could then go to the biggest table they can sit, shove 73o, get called in 2 places, make 2 pair, and win 50k chips. Their ROI would be 200%.

Another player might have played here for years, won hundreds of tournaments, and have an ROI of 45%+.

Would these ROIs be a “true and fair” measure of their respective skills?

2 Likes

I said the same thing but put it a different way - play in 10 - 50 plus ppl tourney - reach final table in 7 of them - compered to player who comes in 4th in his only final table appearance - same tourneys - he will have more $ but I would easily rank the first player much higher even though less chips won.

1 Like

Start ranking people, who played at least 100 tournaments or 100 ring hours or similar.
Thank should eliminate the random winnings.

1 Like

Completely agree. My rank gets worse whenever there’s a special offer on new chips. Not fair.

The premium memberships also distort rankings as those that pay the monthly fee get to play forbigger free rolls.

I’d like to know, before or even after this thread is deleted, why I have a friend ranked like 12th, known to play pretty much exclusively at the ring, has over 12 billion , that’s 12 BILLION in the bankroll, but shows NO history of ever playing at the ring. NONE whatsoever.
Have another friend with a 2 digit ranking with over a billion chips, shows playing only ONE hand at the ring ever…never ever see this player at high end MTT"s where I play, how can a player get to this level without actually playing?
Seems extremely bizarre to me, just makes zero sense at all, but what do I know, just seems really fishy while I have no clue why, we’re playing for free.
Is this all from playing privately?..and none of that shows up on their history?
Or what?
Have a great day.

Rankings are based on your chip amount in your account. The players you speak of may have actually purchased chips from Replay, and not won them playing tourneys.

The one with over 12 billion…doubt that player purchased them, least hardly any of them…been told by another player that would likely know, that this player plays almost exclusively on tables, but on that players history, it shows ZERO hands played at the ring…no biggie, but like I said, something is up.

1 Like

ive noticed ring game history gets deleted from profile after a ?year?

ive read somewhere on the forum someone -in RP’s early days- was able to hack chip counts , wondering if he distributed these billion’s?

I just don’t understand why so many are so hung up on Ranking in a play money game lol

2 Likes

If you go to the Toplists for MTTs the most chips won does have several players with over 4 Billion in winnings and one at over 12 Billion (AA-Suited). However, I’m pretty sure that list is Gross winnings vice Net winning but it would not include Leaderboard prizes, League Prizes, promotions (IE guess the time for the Billionth Hand), daily bonuses, and chips purchased. There also is no list for SNGs which is an alternate for ring games. So it could be done without playing a ring game.

I have never played a ring game or a SNG and typically only play Medium stakes MTTs and I am over 26 million in chips. So I think a really good and prolific High Stakes MTT /SNG player such as Black-Widow could reach well in excess of a Billion without playing a ring game with no funny stuff going on.

1 Like

Ditto

I noticed the 12 Billion player’s history showed playing in private League games which might have something to do with it.

Winning chips should be counted more favorably then buying chips. If I ever get to zero chips ill delete my account. I know im crazy but for me the challenge is fun. I was also the kid playing games who would reset my nintendo if i ever died haha

1 Like

lol, let me put an end to these speculations. I used to play a lot of tournaments and ring games. I’d estimate about 1-2 billion of my bankroll came from tournaments and leaderboard prizes etc. and the rest came from ring games. I played my last ring game hands in early 2022 and Replay doesn’t show ring game hands older than a year or so on players’ profiles. I’ve also not been playing much in public tournaments recently, but I do play regularly in our Donks League tournaments.

6 Likes