Today's ridiculous hands

5 chip wins, 13 losses on the week now in Pegasus league. Both games tonight that I’ve played I finished 5th, losing big hands after having a good position at the table on a hand I couldn’t get away from. I’m not gonna post any of them, I’m too angry to show them. Down about 500k on the week at present, my hopes of placing in the top 10 on either weekly leaderboard are fading fast, and it cold be way worse if it weren’t for the 1st place finishes in the games I’ve won. I’ve only played 1 or 2 bad games, but I have to play near-perfect to win, and get cards I can play that will match up nicely with the board.

Yeah ok, but if you’re going to go for a almost pot-sized shove on the turn they’re never (I hope and think ?!) going to call you anyway… But yeah, if you say you’re going for such a big pre-flop open size the pot sizes do change anyway…
I still tend to bet pretty small turn there, to have a bigger chance to get called, and then proceed to shove river, maybe someone got a strong hand river or even before…

1 Like

First hand of the day. ATs. Flop nut flush, but the board is straight as well. Turn is 4 to a straight flush, on the board, and I’m fully expecting this to be a ridiculous cooler for me after I got my half-pot bet called on the Turn. It’s enough to put me off betting for value on the river, but I win the hand.

https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/511724402

A few hands later, K9s, I raise 3BB, too many players call. I flop top pair, but no flush draw, and the rest of the flop is 23. I let out a good bet to signal to the table that they should fold, and get 2 calls. I consider I may be up against two better kings, so I check the turn, and the player behind me lets out a huge bet, and is called. I think about it and decide I should probably fold here, but decide instead to call because the chips I won in my first hand mean I can sustain being wrong here and losing this bet. The river saves me, pairing my 9, for top two pair, and I think I’m good here so I shove and am called; my caller has 23 and had hit bottom two pair on the flop.

https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/511726059

A few hands later, I play a pair of 8s, limping to the flop, after thinking about raising and deciding against it, and hit a set, get pretty good value out of it.

https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/511727200

A middle Ace, I flop AKQ and try to buy the pot fearing straight draws, but am called by QQ, who ends up hitting Quad Queens on the river. Well done, mate!

I opt not to play 76, and would have made a straight on the Turn, but gotten beat by a full house on the River. Disaster averted

33 on a no-action pot, I decide to try to bet it on the river, and get a call from 88. Why is it that underpairs can never bet, but can always call?

K9s is a check pre there ; don’t forget you’re on the BB, out of position. Turn is a fold/call, I still lean towards a fold, you will have to fold almost all river bets like you say, but yeah, this river was great!

I tend to limp these Aces there, IDK if that’s a mistake, but you’ll have to check all flops anyway if an A doesn’t fall. On the flop, I would go for a smaller bet, you’re only to get called/raised by better hands here. You want K’s and 10’s to call! If they get the straight turn for example it will be an easy fold, but betting pot there is way too dangerous and also is too bad to scare them off like this!
Anyway, the guy limped queens pre, and called instead of raising flop… No idea what he was doing.

lol, but just check/fold river, you got some showdown value : they can have 5’s, 6’s and 9’s who would have checked it on both streets there. Anyway, pretty nice call with 88 there…

He ended up KOing me in 3rd with QQ over my 99. I had a pretty good run at this table, but after having half the chips at the table, suddenly everyone was willing to call me and every time I played a hand, the board failed to cooperate with me whatsosever, and I had to lay down hands where I raised stuff like AJ and KQ to 3-4 BB, got a call, and couldn’t play past the flop or turn due to the board being suited, or I’d have a 4-card draw to Broadway but couldn’t call it due to someone shoving.

4-up was a fun, extended battle that I tried to win by winning cards, but half way through it, my stack depleted and I ended up having to wait it out, got slightly hot again and started playing after the bubble burst, and went out quickly.

I can’t win anything right now.

KQ, flop 2nd pair, Kings, outkick the other King who comes along, but the board kicker out kicks both of us, making it just a chop.

https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/511749803

AQ, flop top pair, Queens, turn trip Queens. Beat by 33 hitting set and then making full house with MY Queens!

https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/511749970

Sustain a small bet on a weak flop with AT, hit my Ace on the Turn, beat by A2 having two pair. I could tell by the fact that they called me here that they had two pair on Ace-rag.

That’s it, I’m done. Get me the #@#$# off this table. Shove Q2s and get 3 calls, goodbye.

Next time it will be better man, you have to run good, even when you’ve got a big stack… !

On the bubble, you get a guy to put his last chip in on A2, you dominate him with AJ, and he hits trip 2s.

KK limpers are coming to Pegasus league. This is the second time today.

You know it’s a lousy week when you flop Broadway and still lose.

https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/511827439

Two hands of the MTT I tried to play tonight.

The only things that you need to know is I didn’t play any other hands, other than the blinds, because my cards were #@##@ the whole way through.

So I’m in the BB sitting on Q9 facing a 2BB raise and decide to come in, flop an OESD, two other players in the hand, the first to act overbets the pot, and I think about calling anyway, but the other player calls, and I figure every other @##%#@% time I’ve chased a OESD I’ve hit nothing with it, and why should this time be any different? As we all know, things that happen due to random chance always end in the exact same result every time, and it’s never good.

So I fold, Turn the King to fill my straight 9-K, and die inside a little more.

https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/511848333

Next hand, I’m dealt AK, and of course I lose all my chips with it, because that’s the night and week that I’m having. You raise big, of course some idiot calls you, you end up getting beat by KK, because those cards always get dealt together in the same hand.

This just speaks for itself.

AAA flop, no one bets (of course; that means nothing here) 8 pairs my 8 on the Turn, I have the boat, I bet the pot, I get to see the fourth Ace and double up the small stack who hit quads.

And then immediately following, I flop a straight with 65 (folded).

Of course today has taught me that I can’t win even with the nut flopped straight, so I don’t know why this feels like a missed opportunity.

2/3 of the time they miss the flop.

2/3 of the time they call anyway, and hit the Turn.

100% of the time, when you don’t bet a street, they’ll pot-raise and take it whether they have anything or not.

100% of the time, they won’t show.

“I have two high cards. I will raise with them.”

Flop misses, bluff fails, big pot loses.

“I have two high cards. Last time I lost a big pot, and I can’t afford another, but I have to play these. I will call with them.”

Flop hits, bet doesn’t get any calls. Tiny pot win.

Seriously this is the night I’m having.

I don’t mind getting killed by AA when I play KK. Especially when they shove from late position in response to my 3BB raise. That’s fine. But hitting Quads on the way out just to rub it in. F that. I don’t need to play in this table if that’s how the deck is stacked. I’ll just shove my cards in so that the two tiny stacks can get to finish one more place ahead of where they were going to.

Flop Top Pair. Just fold. Come on man, you know you’re not any good here. Just take the hint that someone called you preflop and get out while you can.

You get AA in the BB and figure OK I’ll raise pot and see who comes along. In the entire table 2 people limp, not even raise.

One player has absolutely no trouble calling your shove on the next hand when you have 53, with their 52, but it doesn’t matter because someone else calls with A6 and makes a pair of Aces. You just can’t throw away $100k fast enough. If you hurry you can finish your week down a million chips. Because it’s fun to do the things you’re good at, and what you’re good at is finding every single murphy’s law hand there is and getting the smallest pots for the best hands that don’t get bet by coolers, getting rags for a solid half hour after you win half the chips in the first part of the game so you can bleed out in 5th place after an hour and 12 minutes, and watching your painted hands miss every board and your OESD flopss miss.

https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/511870211

Mate, so many posts, can’t follow it lol o_O

But do you want people to analyze them, or not?

2 Likes

I don’t care, it’s just a thread for me to vent. When you get beat like this all week, I tend to lose my mind a bit. Last week, when I won chips in 50% of the games I played, it felt like moving to high stakes had solved my problem of being beaten by improbable bad play, and for the most part I still think that part is happening less, but I can see now that the random number generator is sentient and hates me, and is just torturing me the more I play.

• I take a windfall in an early hand and then can’t use the Big Stack advantage for the next 45 minutes as the best card I see is a 7. I bleed down to a desperation shove situation and the field hasn’t even narrowed down to the bubble yet, then I’m out. Getting one playable hand per hour is terrible.
  • I get great cards, maybe even hit a perfect flop, and still get beat somehow, such as the flopped Broadway killed by flush hand, or the KK under AAAA hand. Even my premium and nut hands are no good.
  • I get AA, and the entire table decides this is a hand they won’t play. One limps, then the SB limps, and I know that if I raise here, they’ll just fold, and if I don’t raise they’ll be playing 53 and hit a straight flush on the flop with it. So I give up and just shove it hoping that someone will think I’m an idiot bluffing and call me, of course they don’t.
  • Pretty much every time I have a hand the table knows somehow, and I can’t get them to play past a flop, and I win tiny jackpots. I’d raise more preflop, but any time I miss the flop, no one ever lays down, so bluffing doesn’t work enough to be profitable. So then I take to limping my opening range, because 90% missing the flop, I can’t afford raises, but that’s when I hit a monster, and when everyone else is check-foldin to the river so my best hands win jack squat, and I pay out the max any time I have good cards that miss or flop a nutty draw that will never ever come.
  • Any time I’m a big stack and there’s a short stack going all in, whatever they’re holding is 80% to hit trips or better, while i will miss the board completely.
  • At some point I lose my mind and it just seems funny to lose every time no matter what so I just give up and throw my chips away on obviously bad situations that initially looked promising, because that seems to be what the table is wants. Why fight prolonged agonizing death when you can head first dive into the wood chipper and end it quick?

What can hand analysis do to save me from this? Nothing. When I play good and get cards, people say I’m a great player. But why is it that I must endure such droughts so very frequently?

If I didn’t document this, people would say I’m exaggerating, that it can’t be that bad, i have a selective memory and a negative attitude. But I don’t. This is really happening. The cards hate me for 2, 3 weeks at a time, but I battle through it and struggle to break even and to come back from horrendous slides where I lose half a million. Then I have a week, or more recently a day or even just two games back to back where I am able to win by a combination of making absolutely zero mistakes AND getting unbelievably good cards for an entire game and hitting flops 80% of the time with them.

But it’s getting to where it’s not fun anymore. I know I’ve improved as a player very much over the last year, but the results are still as inconsistent as ever, and there’s no end in sight to it.

More of the same, today as ever.

I join a MTT 5 min into late reg. I don’t get cards the first two tables because I’m seated in small blinds. My first three hands, I see nothing higher than a 7. Then I’m dealt 33, and limp from early position. A player in late position goes all-in. The open goes from 40 straight to all in.

Now when I played my AA last night that way, of course the table folded. Here, though, they get two calls.

They have KK. I don’t begrudge them raising KK, not even shoving it. You know the low-stakes idiots here are going to call at least 2/3 of the time, and it’s worth it.

But I would have had a set, full house, and won the hand if I’d called. Is 33 a good calling hand vs KK? No. Did I save a bunch of chips? Also no. Did I save a bunch of chips in the long run? Arguably not.

Now I’m getting paint-rag hands like J3, Q8, and not playing them.

Know what would save me even more chips in the long run? Not buying in and sitting at any table.

Here I go with 88, in the BB. UTG raises 3BB, me and the SB call. I raise after a player holding K6 bets the turn when a 6 hits and there’s no overcards. They call and I go all-in on the river, and they still just call me with 66K, and I double up. I actually took advantage of someone, wow. This is the best hand I’ve had in the last 24 hours.

https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/511968319

For my next hand, I get KK, and can only manage to chop it with KQ, on a 9-K straight. Fantastic job, Kings, thanks.

https://www.replaypoker.com/hand/replay/511968809

I get AQs, raise it, some knob tries to shove me off of it with Q5, and I really considered giving them the hand, but I’m fatalistic enough to call at this point. I end up taking the hand with Pair of 4s, Ace kicker. Suddenly I’m 5th/32 on the leaderboard. Maybe I’ll enjoy a game today?