To auto muck or not to auto muck

3 things:
-IMO you can’t take much out of play money games skills into real money but bad habits: playing too many hands and using wrong bet sizes.
-No (say) 2/4$ CG reg player in Vegas would ever complain about “chipping up by” drunk tourists and go to Bobby’s room instead.
-10 mio (2.5 stacks in NL 4kk) chips here on Replay are “worth” 250 US$

Cheers

Jo

2 Likes

Thread’s taken an interesting turn - I can’t comment much on anything regarding the standard of play here as still a novice myself - and am likely one of those types who irritate you folk who have a multi million stack with my poor play.

Still happy to hear more opinions on whether to auto muck or not from others who haven’t yet pitched in. I liked hadleyhal’s comment and would agree. I’m also now using only the auto muck.

1 Like

Pretty much I show my hands every time as a courtesy to the other player. To sate their (maybe) curiosity. Probably the one down side to this as far as the site goes is I may not show the cards the second I’m given a chance. In the interest of moving the game along, auto-muck may be more appealing to most. I really don’t know.

I do know I’m not worried about ‘tipping my hand’ (or thinking) to the other players. I vary my style regardless. And I’ll show my hand each and every time… I won’t pick spots.

But I’m thinking about just going to auto-muck anyway. I think there are a lot of latent anger issues at this site and I certainly don’t want to set anyone on tilt! lol

1 Like

sometimes i show every hand and sometimes none. depends on how much i had to drink.i like to show my really good hands as a deterrent to bluffers and fools.sometimes i go on vendettas against a single player i do not care for.then the sky is the limit for bluffing and crazy play.plus i lose a lot.as my good friend dt24 told me, “you are a donk”.

1 Like

Being a free poker site, i dont see the need to be all too serious.Having said that i wont show hands in tourneys for obvious reasons.However in ring games i may show my hands if im playing with friends list players or familiar player that i respect.Its probably more a question of who,s at the table at the time.

2 Likes

Play money or real money, if no one pays to see it, you don’t show it! Sometimes I wish I had a single key that says, “Nobody paid to see that!” By the time I could type that we’d be at the river on the next hand lol

nobody wants to see your cards and ewe sure as hell should never show them…

Oh please turn that auto muck off and show your cards. I’ll be glad to see them, as would others on the table. We can analyze your plays. Of course I want all the information you care to give. However, I don’t want to give you any more information than necessary. Rarely will I show if I don’t have to.

Keep the auto muck off…If you get a royal or straight flush or 4 of a kind.You will have it shown on your profile.

1 Like

I leave auto muck off. I rarely show especially in tournaments but say If I hit something like a flush or four of a kind sometimes I’ll show and by doing so I hope to establish putting doubt in my opponents head next time I’m in a hand with them and make them second guess their decision they make and hopefully throw them off their game.

1 Like

I seldom show my cards but it’s fun to show cards like 72o when everyone has folded to me.

1 Like

I have automuck off. Any skill in poker playing lays in the head game you’re playing. Otherwise it’s just random cards being dealt. Like raising or checking, choosing to muck or not is one more tool in the box. Just as I may check, not raise for 3 kind on the flop, I may show a winning high card and muck a full house or vice versa at the end. It keeps the other players on their toes. If they’re paying attention that is. There are some players for whom that subtlety is lost.

2 Likes

I love playing against players who have fooled themselves into thinking that showing certain hands is some part of a greater head game. There is no head game by showing high, medium, and low hands. All showing hands does is give the serious players more information about your betting habits. The only time you should even consider showing is when it is a courtesy, and even that should be no more than once in a hundred hands. A player gains nada by showing. Yes, there is a lot of showing on the television, but even then the showing is more often or not determined by the ego, not by a head game. There is no circumstance I have ever heard that justifies showing your hand.

Scratch

3 Likes

I disagree and so does Mike Caro.

Mike Caro
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/mikecaro FaceBook: Mike Caro Known as the “Mad Genius of Poker,” Mike Caro is generally regarded as today’s foremost authority of poker strategy, psychology, and statistics. He is founder of Mike Caro University of Poker, Gaming, and Life Strategy (MCU). See full biography at Poker1.com.

I figured you would, and you did; you forgot to site when, where, and what Caro said about showing your cards. Source please.

Scratch

Follow the links.

I’m not going to take up all that bandwidth from the forum.

I suspect Replay Poker can afford the bandwidth, but that will be fine. I don’t really care what Caro says either. In the mean time when you are willing to quote him with a source, then I will find at least three other authorities who will dispute Caro. Also, I would like to hear arguments for and against showing your cards unnecessarily.

Scratch

But, in Mike Caro’s Book of Poker Tells on page 95. Exposing Cards, Caro writes: “Careless players sometimes expose cards by accident… You can correctly suppose that a player who deliberately exposes a strong card or several strong cards is actually weak.”

So don’t expose your cards, because when you do it is an easy tell. Now I am interested in how Caro supports showing cards unnecessarily.

I will look through Harrington and Sklansky and see what they say.

Scratch

I’m glad you changed your mind and decided you did care what Mike Caro wrote.

I hope you read more of his writings.

As far as my for or against, it depends on the flow of the game and the players involved as to if or when I show my cards.

Happy Thanksgiving :turkey: everyone if you celebrate it.

Warlock, I will lose a few chips to show my bluff by making my bet low enough knowing my opponent will call and all will see my bluffed hand. I am not trying to tilt one player I am instead trying to confuse all the players at the table.

Scratch