The Video Game Thread!

just finished playing the last of us 2 - on standard gameplay - yeh ! scary stuff and story-line at times but favourite games by far - hope they make a third !

1 Like

I borrowed this game from my brother. Uncharted 4: A Thieves End.

I just finished playing the third Uncharted game about 2 weeks ago. If you have a PS4 I highly recommend the Uncharted series. It’s a cinematic type of game series with a lot of action and a great storyline in my opinion.

I’d say the first Uncharted game is my least favorite and it’s shown it’s age as that game was orginally made back in 2007 but the 2nd and 3rd games are fantastic. So far the second Uncharted game Among Thieves is my favorite.

Looking forward to starting to play Uncharted 4. I’ll probably begin playing it tonight or tomorrow.

-Marc

1 Like

I finished the 4th and final game of the main Uncharted series last night! It’s funny because I said to myself I’d only play a few chapters last night but fast forward 7 hours later and I finished the game! I started playing around 6:00PM last night and finished around 1:30 in the morning.

I thought it would be fun to write a review of the Uncharted series since the game and experience are still fresh in my mind. I know this series is years old but I’ll try my best to keep the review spoiler free for those who haven’t played it.

I discovered the Uncharted series back in March when the pandemic was really starting to shut down everything. To encourage people to stay home Sony gave out 2 games to all Playstation owners and one of them was the Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection which is the first 3 Uncharted games in the series remastered for the PS4 system.

Throughout the Uncharted series you play as Nathan Drake who is a treasure hunter looking for treasures and lost cities based off of real life treasure hunters and pirates like Sir Francis Drake and Henry Avery.

Uncharted Drakes Fortune is the first game in the Uncharted franchise. It starts off with Nathan looking for Sir Francis Drake coffin in the ocean as he’s a supposed descendant to Francis Drake which leads to him seeking the lost treasure of El Dorado. With the treasure being worth a fortune Nathan encounters pirates who are also looking for the same treasure.

Now this game is the most aged in the series. Even in the remastered it still does show it’s age although the remastered version does help a bit with that. The gameplay can feel repetitive at times mostly towards the middle of the game however things do pick up quite a bit towards the end of the game. I like to think of this game like a TV pilot episode. Your meeting the characters for the first time, getting to know a little bit of who they are and what they’re like and your discovering the plot of the series.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves takes place 2 years after the events of the first Uncharted game Drakes Fortune. In this game Nathan Drake is found by an old friend who then convinces Nathan to help search for the Cintamani Stone and city of Shambhala. Let’s just say things don’t go as planned and you have to take down a group of villains in search for the same thing.

Uncharted 2 is a fantastic game. The series does a great job of introducing new characters while keeping known and loved characters in the game. The opening sequence of this game is one of my favorites and the game has a fantastic story line with twists and turns along the way.

Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception is the third game in the series and this time around Nathan and his mentor Sully are in search of the lost city of Iram of the Pillars while competing with a group of Sully’s former employees who are in search for the same lost city.

This game does a great job of giving a backstory as to how Nathan and Sully first met and became friends. Like in every Uncharted game they introduce new characters while keeping past characters in the game as well and tells another fantastic story.

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End is the final game in the main Uncharted series. The game takes place several years after the events of the Uncharted 3 Drakes Deception. This time around Nathan is retired and is no longer a treasure hunter until his estranged brother Samuel who Nathan thought was dead shows up and convinces Nathan to help him find Henry Avery’s treasure.

This is another fantastic game that does a fantastic job of story telling. There was a plot twist I never saw coming but again don’t want to spoil anything. The graphics are fantastic and the game has a great final boss battle. I felt the ending of this game closes out the series perfectly and provides the player with closure as we say farewell to Nathan Drake and his friends that we got to know throughout the series. As I watched the final credits roll last night I was a little sad knowing this was the last game of the main series.

Here is how I rank the Uncharted series from my favorite game to my least favorite game.

1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

2. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

3. Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception

4. Uncharted 1: Drakes Fortune

There is a spinoff called Uncharted: The Lost Legacy that I will probably play soon.

I hope you enjoyed reading my review of the Uncharted series!

-Marc

4 Likes

The PS5 Showcase event is airing now.

Best video games for world stage Poker - being a Manager on FIFA and The Sims :stuck_out_tongue:

Last night I decided to buy NBA2k21 on the Playstation store. The game cost me a total of $63.74. The reason I’m bringing this up is because it seems like the cost of gaming is going up and up. Earlier today I read 2k was going to increase the price of games on the next gen consoles to $70.00 a game not including taxes. Apparently this might be an industry standard going forward and I’m not a big fan of that news.

I know it costs a lot of money to create and develop new video games but for hobbyist gamers like myself the costs of these games are getting too expensive. If I want to get the new PS5 when it comes out I’ll be paying $500 for the console and then if I want to play online I’m sure the price of PS Plus is about 5.00 to 10.00 bucks a months and and now they want us to pay $70.00 per game. In my opinion that’s just to much to pay for a video game.

When I bought NBA2k21 they had a deluxe edition costing 100 dollars! That price sounds crazy to me.

I really hope the reports of the new standard 70 dollar prices for next gen console games aren’t true. It would be a turn off to buy a PS5. The only other option is get a PS5 and hope there are frequent sales on games or to wait a year or so for the price of a game I want to go down.

-Marc

You should look at it in terms of entertainment cost per hour, then compare it to other forms of entertainment.

Let’s say you spend $70 and will beat or be sick of the game after playing 20 hours. So your cost is $3.50 an hour, and if you play it more than 20 hours, it costs less per hour.

You can’t go to a bar, mightclub, restaurant, sporting event, or concert for that, Going out to do anything that’s really fun costs a lot more, especially when you factor in bail, court costs, legal fees, and fines. The way I see it, $70 is cheap!

How many hours a year do you play poker here on Replay? If you enjoy your time here, I think everyone should make at least a $10 or $20 donation to the site at least every few months, if not more often! Support the games you love!!!

2 Likes

I agree. I watch my husband enjoy 100 hours of a video game and we both agree that’s cheap entertainment–and he returns to play it again. However, if you buy several platforms, that runs into some $$, especially if you upgrade every time there’s a new system, right?

2 Likes

First of all, happy birthday Jan!

Meh, new consoles come out like every 5 years or so. For a $500 platform this is about $2 a week. I can roll around town in a wheelchair, shaking my tin cup and drooling on myself and make that in about 5 minutes, so not a big deal really.

I quit gaming on consoles years ago anyway, My PC will run circles around any game console, so why bother?

It can definitely get expensive if you have multiple gaming systems and you upgrade and buy the newest ones all at the same time.

Just for the new Playstation coming out its $499.00 you can get it cheaper $100 less if you buy the digital version only. The downside to that is your limited to how you can buy games. With just the digital version there are no discs.

Sun Power does have a good point though in supporting the games you love.

Worst case scenario for me is I would have to wait to buy most of my games a few months to a year as by then for most games the price does drop quite a bit. I would still maybe once or twice a year buy a game the day of its release.

For most consoles I wait a couple of years before buying the newest one. I didn’t get my Playstation 4 until 2016 and I believe it had been available since 2013. The good thing with that is you can get the console for a better price and a lot of the games by then will be cheap to buy.

-Marc

1 Like

Waiting until the price drops is our method of choice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s honestly surprising to me that games are just now increasing to $70. They’ve been $60 for more than a decade, and yet the cost of making games – especially AAA games – continues to rise.

Growing up in the era of NES/SNES, games cost even more! When Chrono Trigger was released, it cost $80. And that’s in 90s dollars!

If $70 is a bit steep, Microsoft’s subscription model is pretty genius. For a monthly fee, you get access to a whole bunch of legitimately great games – both AAA and some of the best indies. I love that they’re doing this. I’ve been able to try games I never would have otherwise, and some of them have become favorites.

Game Pass is gaining a lot of popularity, and I’m hoping PlayStation will have to come up with something similar to keep up. It seems like Sony might be thinking about it after their announcement that many of their PS4 exclusive hits will be available for free on PS5 at launch.

3 Likes

We have watched the credits roll at the end of a well-made video game, and it seems unbelievable that the literally hundreds of people involved in the development of a game can be appropriately paid at the (relatively low) price the consumer is paying for the game. I love good prices and great deals, but I also want good companies to stay in business and talented workers to stay on the job, building our next great experience. (I feel the same way about Replay Poker, btw.)

2 Likes

I did a quick video review of NBA2K21! My thoughts and opinions on the game.

1 Like

I finished playing the Uncharted spinoff “Uncharted: The Lost Legacy” this morning and along with the other Uncharted titles this was another great game in the Uncharted franchise.

This is the first and only Uncharted game not to feature the series main character Nathan Drake. The game features characters Chloe Frazer and Nadine Ross as they search for the Tusk of Ganesh which is an Indian artifact Chloe’s own father became obsessed with but never found. They are searching for it to keep it out of the hands of an evil war profiteer who wants to use it for his own personal gain. The game takes place India.

The events of this game takes place approximately 6 to 12 months after the events of “Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End”.

Originally this game was going to be a DLC addon to Uncharted 4 but ultimately the developers decided to make it it’s own separate game.

The gameplay was the same as Uncharted 4 in my opinion and the story was great. The only thing that I wish was different with this game is I wish it was longer. It only took me 2 days from start to end to beat this game as I started last night and resumed playing and finished the game this morning. In total the story takes about 8 hours to complete.

Along with the other Uncharted titles I recommend this game and I’d give it an 8 / 10 rating.

The next games I think I’m going to play that I’ve never played before are “The Last of Us” both the first and second game.

I’ve been doing some reading while also trying to avoid spoilers for the first “The Last of Us” game and all the reviews I’ve read say “If you haven’t played this game, play it!” so I look forward to playing those games soon!

-Marc

2 Likes

I just read that Sony has decided to remove Cyberpunk 2077 from the Playstation store and is offering full refunds to anyone who has bought it due to game breaking bugs and people calling it an unfinished game at least on the PS4 / PS5 consoles.

I was considering buying it so I’m glad I didn’t. Maybe I will whenever the developers fix the bugs and it returns to the PlayStation store.

In my opinion this is why investors shouldn’t be deciding when games are released. I’m sure the developers knew this game wasn’t ready for launch but had no choice to because of investors and deadlines. It’s rare PlayStation removes games from the PlayStation store and offers full refunds so the bugs must have been really bad.

Ultimately all it does is causes angry, disappointed costumers as well as damages the Cyberpunk 2077 brand.

I remember back in the GameCube to PS1 / PS2 days when developers had to be sure a game was ready for launch because there was no such thing as patches. Sure there would still be some bugs but from what I remember rarely bugs that would cause a game to completely break.

Nowadays broken, unfished games are released more commonly because of deadlines and the fact developers know they can fix the game after it launches. In my opinion to the consumer it should be infuriating. If I’m paying 60 to 70 dollars for a game I expect the game to be in running, working condition when I buy it. The consumer shouldn’t have to worry about buying a broken, unfinished game.

I’m hoping the release of unfished, broken games changes but I doubt it will. Hopefully, maybe because this happened to a major release like Cyberpunk 2077 investors and developers will take notice and ensure games don’t have game breaking bugs. Ultimately it should be the developers who are working on these games daily that decide when the game is ready for release. Not the investors or deadlines.

-Marc

1 Like

Yeah, it’s ridiculous. They are basically forcing the customers to do the play testing they should have done in house. It’s such a short-sighted approach.

I also hate the idea of paid DLC. You buy half a game, then they milk you with endless DLC. It’s just irritating.

1 Like

I can’t stand DLC’s. I can kind of understand it if the game I download is a free game but if I’m paying 60 + dollars for a game I think DLC’s, Microtransactions and Loot Boxes are the worst.

Especially Loot Boxes where in the majority of these games kids are playing and it’s basically encouraging underage children to Gamble for something that should have already been in the game in the first place. I try and avoid games with DLC’s, Microtransactions and Loot Boxes, it takes away from a true gaming experience in my opinion.

-Marc

1 Like

Cyberpunk really has been a disaster. The only saving grace is some of the bugs people have put online are pretty hilarious. This is one of my favorites:

And speaking of DLC, I bought Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla, because I’m a sucker for those games. It felt like there were about ten different versions to buy with different amounts of content. It’s so obnoxious. Ubisoft and EA seem to be the worst about this kind of thing.

3 Likes

Our household agrees with you. Our strategy is to wait until they go on sale, then most of the upgrade packs (like Season Pass) come with extra download content–extra story line, extra chapters (as opposed to the extra costumes and weapons, which we don’t think is worth anything).

We have almost all of the Assassins’ Creed series. We don’t have Assassin’s Creed 1, and we don’t have Valhalla yet only because our gaming computer doesn’t have Windows 10, and you can’t play Valhalla without it. Also, Valhalla hasn’t gone on sale yet! (See above paragraph. lol)

2 Likes