The Totally Topic-less Anything Except Complaining Thread

P-38. Still have one :+1:t2:

2 Likes

@vickik1117 . If you get a chance you might want to watch a movie called “ Bleed for This “ .

True life story of courage and determination.

You might see me in it often :wink:

2 Likes

I often thought about this. lol

2 Likes

Yes actually, because it’s a sheepdog and they share the same language :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah, I still have one on my key ring. By the way, my key ring is the pull ring from a hand grenade.

2 Likes

I will look up :grinning: thanks

2 Likes

:grimacing:

1 Like

I don’t get the grimace, but OK.

I think everyone in my unit used grenade rings for key rings. They are durable, work well, free, and in abundant supply. I don’t know what they do in the rear with the gear, but at the tip of the spear, it’s a very common thing.

keyring

3 Likes

Well said :+1:t2:

1 Like

I have no problem with the grenade ring serving a new purpose. I’ve just never held either a grenade or a grenade ring, and so it’s actually just meant as an “Oh my!” look more than a grimace. It was a new thought in my (limited) world, so–“Oh my!”

2 Likes

It’s not a problem Jan. You’re saying you have never thrown a hand grenade? huh

Truth be told, I hated the things, still do. The first time I had to throw one (in training) the guy in the next position threw his more or less straight up in the air. The Drill Sgt with me screamed a random obscenity, then shielded my body with his own. No sense both of us getting blown up, and I was his responsibility, so ya do what ya do.

I remember wondering if I had time to rip off my buttons so I could get a little closer to the ground, but it landed just on the other side of the wall before exploding.

Hand grenades aren’t something a tanker has much use for, but we had to go throw 2 of them twice a year. If I’m out of my tank and close enough to use a grenade, something has gone horribly wrong.

3 Likes

Wish that worked with me and other humans. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Being in the Medical Dept. I have spent a lot of time watching people practice throwing grenade’s. No one was killed but at least once someone would not hold or throw it right and it went behind them. I made several trips to the practice pits.

4 Likes

When it comes right down to it, grenades are dangerous for all concerned.

More than one guy told me stories about throwing grenades in the jungle, just to have them hit a branch and bounce back into their laps. I avoided them whenever possible, but they do make good key rings!

2 Likes

I’m in the market for a good key ring, as it so happens. :wink:

2 Likes

I had a cup of instant coffee this morning. It’s come a long way from the “ Sanka Days “. Some are more expensive then good ground or whole bean coffee. Technology… :+1:t2:

1 Like

This guy should have just stuck to the key ring thing:

4 Likes
4 Likes

When I was a kid my dad had one of those. Maybe got it in the Corps. I think he even used it to open a beer can before poptops.

2 Likes

Babe did it and he was a pig.

2 Likes