The Totally Topic-less Anything Except Complaining Thread

3 Likes

Sites frozen so everyone is welcome to come for brunch instead.

2 Likes

looks good

2 Likes

Table for two please

2 Likes

Metric money. Metric weight. Metric length/distance. Metric temp.
How come no metric time?
I am sure you know who will explain it. :smiley:

1 Like

Metric time is the measure of time intervals using the metric system. The modern SI system defines the second as the base unit of time, and forms multiples and submultiples with metric prefixes such as kiloseconds and milliseconds.

Other units of time - minute, hour and day – are accepted for use with SI but are not part of it.

Metric time is a measure of time intervals, while decimal time is a means of recording time of day.

1 Like

Did you know that our way of counting time is from the ancient Sumerians? They used a sexagesimal, (base 60) mathematical framework. We still use their system, not just in time, but also in measuring angles and geographic coordinates.

60 is an interesting number. It’s the lowest number that can be divided evenly by every number from 1 to 6, which greatly simplifies working with fractions. In math terms, 60 is known as a “superior highly composite number.” The number 12 is also a SHCN.

The reason we still use so many base 60 numbers… aliens! (hahaha)

1 Like

Does anyone know if there’s something like a bikini wax for ear hair?

Asking for a friend.

2 Likes

Hahahahahaha :joy:

1 Like

Here you go SPG:

2 Likes

Thanks, but oh hell no. I’ll just… that is, my friend will have to just keep looking like a Wookie.

1 Like

who decided that 60 mins was an hor thaqt an hour is… etc

The ancient Sumerians.

Thx will look that 1 up

1 Like

60 is a good number for time because the fractions are so easy…

1/2 hour is 30 minutes

1/3 hour is 20 minutes

1/4 hour is 15 minutes

1/5 hour is 12 minutes

1/6 hour is 10 minutes

All of these fractions work out to whole numbers.

They certainly advanced the human race during their time. The whole counting system originated from them using the 12 sections on the fingers of the hand. Genius really considering you carry your hands around with you all the time, the first ancient calculator :grinning:

1 Like

So we just disregard the thumb, no most important part of the hand.

1 Like

Yes the hands are brilliant when i want to know how many days in a month i use the knuckles to tell me if the month falls on top of knuckle 31 days if it falls between then 30 apart from feb try it

1 Like

They used the thumb as the counting instrument though I wouldn’t know anything about that having paws :wink:

1 Like

Here’s an oddity thought to come from the 4th century Romans: the Lycurgus Cup.

The cup is a type of cup called a cage cup, because it features metalwork that surrounds the glass like a cage. The odd part, however, is that the cup itself is made is dichroic glass, and is red when lit from behind, but green when lit from the front.

This effect is thought to be because of the inclusion of gold and silver nano-particles, but nobody is quite sure how they managed to pull this off in the 4th century. And no, I’m not claiming that it was made by aliens. I’m just saying that it’s odd and interesting…

Lycurgus Cup

2 Likes