The strangest thing I've seen today

This comes from the UK. God save them…

2 Likes

Sorry mate!

You normally hit pretty close to the mark but this one missed me by the country mile

Regards,
TA

What did hit me today, not so much strange as unbelievably clever, is this sudoku solve.

The solve is lovely, the puzzle is brilliant!

Regards,
TA

1 Like

If you want something strange that I have discovered recently:

Fantastic video but you have to watch it for the full 10 hours :slight_smile:

There’s a sort of “zen” that you get after the first hour or so lol

Regards,
TA

1 Like

The strangest thing I’ve seen today is a grown person in a bear costume that dances for 10 hours without stopping to pee :joy: . ( of course I fast forwarded it lol ).

2 Likes

@theanalyst01 The sudoku solve and tangent to cleverness got me wondering if geniuses see the world in a much deeper and more interesting way than the average person does, which reminded me of “The World’s Smartest Man” Michael Langan and his TOE (Theory of Everything) which IIRC claims a proof of God.

http://hology.org for his TOE, or see a couple of youtube videos here:

Or for another interesting genius with a TOE and a podcast of his own, see Eric Weinstein.

Yes, I suspect that we do, but since there is no way to tell how average people think, one can’t be positive.

Oh, and anyone claiming to have a “theory” of everything is an idiot. They should know that they have, at best, a hypothesis of some things.

We have not imagined “everything,” much less seen and tested it against his hypothesis, so no.

4 Likes

A video that claims to be presenting a theory of everything (whatever that means) and opens by talking about “god” without even presenting a definition of exactly what “god” is certainly qualifies as the strangest thing that I’m likely to see today. No, I didn’t watch any more than the first 30 seconds of the first video - there’s no proof, yet, that stupidity is transmissible via video but I’m not prepared to take the risk.

Here’s a hint: A “theory” of anything at all is not “warble babble goddidit warble warble”.

If you are interested in “geniuses” and theories, you might want to look at youtube channels of Gresham College, Science and Cocktails and The Royal Society. Amazingly enough, in work presented by very clever people regarding the current state of knowledge, “goddidit” is not considered a suitable explanation of anything.

Hope this helps
Regards,
TA

2 Likes

Sounds like someone is possessed by the Devil!

1 Like

Anubis was, for quite some time, in charge of the underworld - death and embalming and all that sort of stuff - so the analogy to a competing belief system is not completely inappropriate :slight_smile:

1 Like

As far as the dumbed down test bs this just proves it began in Britain.

I’m beginning to see why these forums are as dead as they are with people here willing to be rude and dismissive as they have been in this thread and elsewhere. Or maybe it’s more of a poker player trait in general like Barry Greenstein suggests. If I post on these forums again it will probably be with something I think will be helpful to casual readers of the forums but without followup on the threads as it seems unlikely to be worth my time and aggravation to do so.

If anyone has some online forum suggestions where people are less rude and more willing to entertain different ideas, feel free to PM me a link.

Very briefly re. the comments here before I leave, the term TOE (obviously, or one could simply google it) indicates a grand unifying physics theory more than a literal theory of absolutely everything, a man with a 185+ IQ and the ability to communicate ideas calmly and clearly is almost certainly not “an idiot” (nor an autist, nor a religious fundamentalist, etc.), and you are very unlikely to get a fair reading of any person or topic should you refuse to listen to them for more than 30 seconds. Nor are you likely to do anything but deter quality conversations when you are dismissive and rude in general - especially to new members of a group - though I suppose if you all aspire to nothing more than the average youtube comment section you are doing OK.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Jake

Nobody said anything directed at you personally… at all.

Is it rude to have an opinion that differs from your own?

We are finite 3 dimensional (4 if you count time) apes crawling through a reality comprised of at least 10 dimensions. We don’t even have a conceptual framework for how things work in the higher dimensions, not even a bad guess. The idea of a TOE is idiotic in and of itself.

Just out of curiosity, how much longer than 30 seconds did you spend considering the differing opinions before dismissing them, labeling them “rude” and storming off in such a dramatic fashion?

3 Likes

Since your reply was directed to me, I will second SPGs statement that nothing was directed at you personally. I thought that I was very clear in criticising the video that you posted and in justifying my negative view.

Further reading, as you suggested I should do, has given me the knowledge that a “Theory of Everything” is a philosophical concept. I was already aware that a Grand Unifying Theorem is a defined open problem in physics. Perhaps you got confused? Langan himself is very clear that he has a complete Theory of Everything and, as far as I can determine, hasn’t addressed the subject of a Grand Unifying Theorem.

From the Wikipedia entry on this cough “genius”:
Langan’s support of conspiracy theories, including the 9/11 Truther movement (Langan has claimed that the George W. Bush administration staged the 9/11 attacks in order to distract the public from learning about the CTMU) and the white genocide conspiracy theory, as well as his opposition to interracial relationships, have contributed to his gaining a following among members of the alt-right and others on the far right.[10][11] Journalists have described certain of Langan’s Internet posts as containing “thinly veiled” antisemitism[10] and making antisemitic “dog whistles”.[11]

In short, Langan has the appearance of being a racist, antisemitic pig.

CTMU, apparently, is Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is almost certainly a crank!

I don’t think that the reading that you suggested I do had the desired effect: I have even less interest in watching that video or anything else involving Langan.

Here’s another hint for you Mr Jake: People WILL judge you by the company you keep or, more particularly in this case, the videos that you recommend. If you promote a video by a person known to be a particularly nasty sub-species of Crank then people are likely to think that you share at least some of the beliefs of that person. I very much hope that you do not wish to be associated with such beliefs.

Regards,
TA

1 Like

Anyway … back on topic …

The strangest thing I saw today was … no! I’m getting back on topic!

The second strangest thing I saw today was the Silent Monks singing!!!

How do Silent Monks sing?

Regards,
(on-topic)TA

2 Likes