The Jack

Meh, I’m usually pretty aggro with jacks preflop. That depends on the situation, of course.

If overcards flop, I size up and C bet. Yeah, I will often fold if I get played back at, but aces, kings, and queens hit my open range harder than they hit someone’s limp/call range. (or call range if they are after me)

It’s hard for QQ or KK to call a stiff bet on an Axx board, and weak aces fold a lot too. On a Kxx board, it’s hard for Ax to continue, as it is with a Qxx board. Basically, play them like aces and see what happens.

Of course, this is all situational. It depends on who is in the hand, position, relative stacks, blah blah blah, as always.

4 Likes

Here’s how I use jacks and it works perfectly every time!

5 Likes

Nice pair LOL :joy:

1 Like

Spot on. But to add, Knabe refers more to pre-teen and teenage. Bube is the more mature choice. A old German word for gangster f.e. is “Spitzbube”.

3 Likes

A fun example from a recent tournament. I had JcJs…

1 Like

No Jack-O Phobia there :joy::+1:t2:

1 Like

That Ace in the flop might have scared me off! Well done. With that betting and that response, though, it could have been a pair of ducks hiding under there. (We can’t see any cards in the replay–too bad!)

2 Likes

That ace on the flop DID scare him off. Look, I made a pretty big preflop raise, then raised him on the flop. Who does this if they don’t have a strong ace there? Not many, so of course he gave me credit for having the best hand. It’s not about what I have, it’s about what they think I have.

Or is it about what I think that they think that I think that they think I have? (haha)

Oh, and I wouldn’t be too surprised if he folded QQ there.

2 Likes

Yes, I would play that hand that way. He flat called preflop, rather than 3-betting, could have been any pocket pair set mining or even something like KQ suited, but no Ace. He puts you on AK, AQ.

Flop comes A high, He makes what looks like a blocking bet, not trying to take the pot down right now, but not trying to look lame playing out of position on a flop that looks good for you. You raise his flop bet for information. If he calls, you are in trouble, but if he folds he is scared of the ace.

You win a nice pot. Perfect.

Your opponent is ranked almost #30,000 on replay. Doesn’t mean that he is not a good player, but no reason to believe he is playing 4-dimensional chess either until proven otherwise.

2 Likes

Probably, but the small raise on the flop makes him more likely to check the turn. So, for the price of a small raise, I get to see the turn and river. I see this as way better than calling and maybe facing a bigger bet on the turn or just giving up and folding.

2 Likes

So cool, my Dad (thesummerwind) used to say that!! I’ve never seen anyone fold them tho… that’s the fourth option.

1 Like

So 11 Ha, ha, charade you are :santa:

1 Like

Sometimes I like Jack’s. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Jacks are awesome :clap:t2:. Well done :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I am grateful for the comments on this thread. I feel more confident playing Jacks now.

4 Likes

If there’s no right way to play jacks preflop it also means there’s no wrong way either.

2 Likes

Jacks, not quite a big pair not quite a small one. I don’t mind one caller. I like one caller. But you are more likely to see an overcard on the flop than not to see one.

Anyway at the end of the day you should have a +ev with Jacks. Love em, love Jacks, how can you not love seeing those little pocket knaves staring up at you.

1 Like

Presented for your consideration

2 Likes