The GTO thread

strong text

:thinking: Exactly !!! :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I concur !

This is a really good post, but I would like to consolidate some of these ideas: GTO is a break-even strategy that utilises frequency and range balancing to counter exploitative strategies. It is most effective when used in conjunction with exploitative strategies. Hence, you defend yourself against exploitation whilst trying to find find ways to exploit your opponent.

I would also like to clarify that it shouldn’t be categorised as defesive or offensive. It protects your offensive game as much as your defensive one. For example, if you never bluff in specific spot your opponent can exploitably fold to your bets.

Well, I try and fold the losers early and go to the river (if the hand goes that far) with my winners…ya’ll oughta try it…

1 Like

agreed on the chat room idea , but on the other hand , it take’s away from the FORUM time ,
anyone can make a chat room , but someone’s got to moderate it , so where does the poker time
come in ? … playing on the table’s , watching the forum, sitting in chat , that’s a hand full .

1 Like

Good morning.

This is just some constructive observation of your post, suggestions and a little criticism.

Please don’t take it the wrong way, it’s informational.

First off, typing in caps is a form of yelling, (FORUM) and well documented on the internet and it’s in your players rep handbook. 2nd what are you talking about ? Have you never been on a forum with a chat room ? Lastly, that’s why Replay Poker has Moderators and is promoting Player Reps every week to that position to moderate what goes on here.

I suggest you read the chat room thread, get acquainted with how a chat room would work here and then re post your thoughts or rebuttal here.

I’ll check back to see if you get the idea of the integration here.

Btw, community forums and chat rooms increase the community participation here at Replay Poker and that is one of the goals as outlined .

See you soon

Craig

@Original poster (Sunpowerguru). I see you are a thinking person and I understand how you think and feel about the subject. I know u are not looking to school top professionals, and stating that GTO is not important on replaypoker is certainly something I agree upon. U do also seem to understand that playing GTO-wise is playing unexploitibly and that the best strategy against a non-GTO style is to play exploitably in a way that over-exploits the, indeed, bad frequencies of the opponents. I further want to touch on some specific points.

‘NLHE is far from being solved’.

While this is true in a sense (it is truly impossible to find THE gto-solution as their are too many different scenarios and too many different bet sizes), it is very possible to play a nearer approximation of GTO then your opponent, and because of that, play better and win more chips:

1: consider the game of chess: this game is also impossible to solve, however computers have become way better than humans because of their better APPROXIMATION of the best moves (fun fact: while chess is a theoretical draw, computers tend to win against each other still sometimes, even at 90min/player/game, showing how difficult the game is)

2: Since last year, computers have overtaken humans in poker, this is in heads up no limit hold’em and very soon to be in 9-handed play. The computer (Libratus, google it) has a better APPROXIMATION of gto and this is the soul reason why it outplayed four of the best HUNLH players in the world in 120k hands at a rate of 12big blinds/ 100 hands, which is a very, very decent winrate.

3 :Their is an artificial intelligent poker programme out there with the name of pokersnowie which can point out your mistakes and the gravity of your mistakes, and by that, give you a ‘pokerrating/ pokerlevel’ The programme does not exploit any players, but still it wins more against players with bigger mistakes.
Thus you don’t have to exploit to win more against weaker players (but it can hel p when done correctly)
(How is PokerSnowie doing after 3.3 Millions hands played? | PokerSnowie Blog)

that is why a comparison with rock paper scissors GTO is misleading, to say the least. Poker is far more complex and this is the reason why playing GTO in poker will still have more merit against bad players then against good players:
in poker, an equivalent of throwing 100% rock and getting away with it against a GTO strategy is non-existent.
An unexploitable strategy means that you win against any other strategy (or break-even theoretically, but breaking even will almost never happen as the game is so complex), so they are not ‘basically defensive’ ( I think you interpret the fact that the primary concern is becoming unexploitable that it is defensive, but by doing this you make sure you win against any other strategy).

heads up limit hold’em has been solved! you can play the game theory optimal programme if you google the programme’s name: cepheus (or follow this link, but i’m not sure if posting links here is allowed (http://poker.srv.ualberta.ca/)

regards

Chess hasn’t been proven to be a theoretical draw (even though it most likely is). Chess engines can also miss certain moves, as they are based off calculation and evaluation of positions as opposed to concepts and strategies. You’ve also got to consider that one has defined moves and outcomes, whilst the other is based in probabilities and game theory.

Sunpowerguru, 'truly enjoyed your post–Tessduville.emphasized textstrong text

you basically prove my point.

I only addressed the similarity between chess and poker in the fact that having the closest approximation of the best play possible is enough to be the best entity in the world at the particular game, thus without any necessity of actually solving the game.

Chess engines can miss certain moves, Poker engines such as Libratus can defer from optimal play,
But in the end they will win the game more just because they are better overall

I agree ofc that they are different games but chess has defined moves (a4, Nf3, etc.) and poker has defined moves (raise, call, fold) . A chess computer finds very good chess moves by calculation and evaluation while a poker computer finds the best moves by recognition and trial and error in its huge database of hands played against itself (which is very much correlated with, indeed, probability).