The Eclipse 2017!

Hi everyone!

Anyone planning to watch the Eclipse today? Here in Massachusetts it will only be a partial eclipse. Where I am it starts a little after 1:30 , peaks around 2:49 and finishes at 3:59.

Unfortunately I couldn’t get eclipse glasses (You can’t look at it directly without proper eye protection or you’ll go blind) so I’ll watch most of it on TV while taking peeks out the window not looking directly at it. Just really trying it see how dark or shady it will get outside.

-Marc

3 Likes

Yup - have no choice… I’m in eclipse path…
Don’t have to have glasses - did what we did w the last one - poke a pinhole in a box that is big enuff to fit over your head… Voila!! Or get a welders helmet…
I’ll be inside doing laundry - watching my dogs outside in thier pen to see reactions…
Happy Eclipse!!

3 Likes

Hiya MickiFin! I’ve heard that we are supposed to keep our pets inside during the eclipse as they are also susceptible to eye damage if they look directly at it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Marc, you can also look at it through your phone’s camera, if you have a smart phone. Take a “selfie” with the eclipse and you won’t have your retinas turned to mush :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I might do that! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was going to say that about the smartphone. I live in Rhode Island so I will see what Marc sees.

I have friends all over the country that are saying they are in almost complete darkness as it travels west to east coast.

Be careful everyone!!! And enjoy :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, a wild fire raging about six miles inland from us has given us a three-day “eclipse” of sorts. Traffic is heavy due to fire evacuations, so we’ll stay in our house, stare out at the smoke, and then tell everyone OUR eclipse lasted three days! :wink:

2 Likes

Wow, be safe ! 3 day eclipse for sure.

2 Likes

Hope everyone enjoys the event. I cancelled my trip to see it where there would be a totality but will have about 70% where I am.

As a thought experiment, try to imagine what an event like this would have been like for people throughout history. Can you imagine what this would have done to cultures who worshipped the sun? It must have been terrifying, even after the sun started to reappear.

The vast majority of the people to have ever lived had no idea what was happening or why when an eclipse occurred. So while we can enjoy it because of our understanding, almost everyone who came before us had quite a different experience. Maybe its just me but I like to think about things like this.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Fun fact: The next eclipse that goes across the entire country like it will today won’t happen again until 2045 according to ABC news.

1 Like

The next chance New England has to see an eclipse is in 2024!

1 Like

This just in. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use your smartphone to take a picture of the eclipse!!!

You will burn out your camera !!!

This is from Apple!!!

2 Likes

Here is a picture of the Eclipse I got off my TV.

2 Likes

Thanks for the warning Craig.

1 Like

Just came back inside from seeing it in Oregon! It was a pretty amazing experience. I’m tempted to go see it again in Austin in 2024!

4 Likes

You rocked that photography, Marc!

2 Likes

Sitting here in my living room I noticed it’s slightly less bright here. A few minutes till we get our best view of the Eclipse.

1 Like

'Bout a 70% eclipse is what we had here in Dallas, put on the trusty welders mask, or 62 pairs of dark sunglasses.

2 Likes

Pretty cool to watch it. Even on TV!

1 Like

I am about 1 mile south of Jan, and all I had was heavy cloud cover and fog…The smoke haze will come in this afternoon, but I watched it on all the tv channels. great picture Marc.!

3 Likes