Straight Flush vs Ace High Flush

Thank you for giving a thorough explanation, GoldenDonkey. That makes sense. It’s true that at a six-handed table more options become available. I’m very unfamiliar with the options six-handed, because every time I consulted a chart, or heard someone’s advice in general about good hands, they were addressing 9-handed games.

What would you have done on the turn ?! That is almost the most important card here.

GoldenDonkey:

Players often tend to feel that a backdoor flush is a lot less likely than a front door flush.

Those crazy kids with their math and stuff - can you imagine anyone thinking a 4% draw is less likely than a 35% one (19.1% turn and 19.6% river)? I mean what if the 4% draw self-identifies as a 35% draw? Who are we to say their personal truth doesn’t count? :wink:

1 Like

It’s kinda of close for me, there is a lot of merit in check raising the turn and then moving all-in on any river card, as it’s early in the event, and players will be hard pressed to call with top pair, especially when they have the feeling that they have to justify the call to their team mates.

Having two other players relying on you adds a very real and new kind of pressure.

If I don’t check raise the turn, the I am just calling, as we hit a card that gives us a lot of equity. I would make a decision in game based on game flow and what style of poker I think my opponent is playing.

However, I am a very aggressive player for the most part in tournaments and my point of view or style is not reflective of everyone. This leads to wins in MTTs, but it also results in a few “early baths”.

GoldenDonkey

I see. Turn card is great, it gives you equity, but the price is too high to afford yourself a call. Your percentage of getting your outs river is not high enough for the amount of chips you can win by calling… Purely based on maths, it would be a fold…

But yeah, maths apart, I understand it ; if you go for a call, and hit it river, you’re often in a pretty good spot :slight_smile: (also because people would think you don’t call…)

I had a guy go all in a while ago… He had an ace hi flush. I was happy to call because I had a straight flush.

1 Like