It’s not just every day that we might actually feel sentimental about employment. But maybe we feel that way these days. Whether or not you’re working, what is or was or might one day be your favorite job?
One of the coolest jobs I had was working for a company that did rapid prototyping. We had several 3d printing machines 15 years ago, before the extrusion machines you can get for your home today. These were big industrial beasts worth a couple hundred thousand each.
Customers would email us a 3d file, and we would often ship the finished model the same day. We did a lot of tools, toys, and architectural models, but the coolest were the medical ones. These were made from CAT scan or other 3d imaging data, and were used by the surgeons to plan out their operations in detail. For example, we once did a full scale, accurate model of the skulls of twins that were joined at the head. The surgeons studied it for weeks before attempting the separation.
The best part about that job was that it was something new every day. One day we would be working on preliminary concept models for the World Trade Center site, the next a new UFO model, and the next might be ergonomic study models for a new line of hand tools. It was always interesting, at least.
I haven’t worked there in like 12 years, but I do have a 3d printer at home!
Those 3-D printers blow my mind! I heard about “the future” in 1988 and couldn’t imagine this invention. I’ve seen them, big and small, and they are cool. And you have one! That makes me almost famous, because I know you.
I dunno about famous. I have an Ender 3 Pro, which can be had for less than $250. Knowing me makes you lucky, not famous! Haha
I run courier routes that are essential to infrastructure and economy. 60% vet supplies for ranchers and the other 40% is implement parts for farm equipment and truck repair parts for diesel repair shops. I have 3 routes. I sub out 2 of them to subcontractors and I run one that averages 500-550 miles per day. The one I run I sub out every other 2 weeks to another driver. This allows me to always have a driver on call or myself to help cover sick days, needed days off and or vacations. It also gives me a ton of freedom and time. Most months I work 2 weeks and spend the next 2 weeks with my grandkids who are 6 and 4, travel with my wife (sometimes they get to go too ) and play live poker which supplements my income (and makes up for some of the income I gave up when I decided to sub out half of the route I run personally.) It was difficult when the casinos closed but I have in the past 6 weeks been acclimating myself to playing on line for $ and it’s working out pretty nicely.
My favorite job was running lights and sound for a rock band in the 80’s. I’m pretty sure it was the 80’s, it’s all a blur.
Was a Suburban Fellow that bought a Tobacco Mountain Farm Right on the Tennessee - Virginia Border in Moonshine Country— I found out. Total Freedom- Like bit of Heaven. I was helped out and protected by some of the Nicest and some of Roughest Characters You can imagine. Most had Scars or worse and Derringers in the Pocket. Played poker All night also… they cheated a lil. I only would play High Card with them and Won $…They also took care of the Defenseless-injured against money problems- Bullies, etc… Was decades back but it was total Freedom and Nature set every Days course. Whether making elderberry wine or helping the neighbor Haul off Load of Yuck, it was the right thing to do at moment. Good Times.
I can picture it being a blur, having attended some rock events in the 80s! hahahaa–Thanks for sharing this.
Great memories, and so unique, I think. Thanks for sharing this!
Thx Jan and Unique yes. Mountain folk have to be self reliant for every situation.The Tennessee Town was a flat 10 mins away and for the Virginia side I lived on was twice as far over several impressive Mountains. I had to call the Police several times and each time they said it will be half hour before We get there… Do what You have to until We get there… Once they dropped a Muffler on the switchback Mountain roads and called back said it would be Hour and a half at least but keep the Faith. Sometimes only when looking back at some situations can You really have a chuckle at it.