Shove earlier? Bet higher?

LOL - when you win a bounty tournament, you collect your own bounty as well. I’m glad you’ve discovered the rest of the prize pool and that some of it was hiding in your bankroll :slight_smile:

I have no idea - what do you know? It seems that pointing out the bounties helped the OP. It probably was useful information to other readers as well, whether or not it was useful to you.

I did not look at the specifics in these hands and did not know whether players were in the money or not etc. The last thing I want to do is introduce ICM math to the mix. All I was pointing out was that hand analysis in bounty tournaments should not leave out the implications of the bounty prize pool. If a pay jump is more important than a bounty, that still does not negate the effect of the bounty. Now, if someone wants to ignore a 10-20% (or more?) impact, they are free to do so but I wouldn’t want to give up that type of edge to someone else.

Yes - in a bounty format when you have the larger stack, you do not want to leave your opponent a chance to get away on the river. You want them all-in because their bounty reduces the amount of raw equity you need. If they want to go with their draw, force them all-in rather than maybe leaving them with a chance to fold the river if they don’t get there. Again, I’m not a good bounty MTT player but there are specific strategies that will help you maximize your returns in them if you want to look into them.

2 Likes

Good to know. I like the MTT because of the small field, and faster games. The drawback is you have to finish in the top 5. Recouping some of your entry chips along the way helps when you make final table, but still out of the money.

1 Like

Since you lost, you should have done something different.
If you had won, you would have played it perfect…

1 Like

Hand 1:

• flop: Bet out initially with a pot sized bet, and if you check raise like you did, make the raise larger. You have the best possible hand, but it is vulnerable to being out drawn: you want calls, but also would be happy to lose one opponent, so you want to set a price that makes drawing incorrect, but still gets some calls.
  • turn: Bet larger than half pot. Both opponents stuck around after your small check raise. They like their hands. I’d probably bet at least 3/4 pot, and actually like a massive over bet here more, just going all in.
  • river: Your final bet is more marginal, and you could check. Since your prior bets were small, I think you might still have some calls from weaker hands, but check calling might give you more hands that you’ll beat.

Hand 2: Jam all in with your 3!, since you are completely pot committed after the raise you made, anyway. People might think you are tilting from the prior hand, and you’ve got a good chance of still getting calls.

You might think that the likely result of the lines I suggest above would be that you still get knocked out of the tournament in the same two hands in pretty much the same way. Well, yeah, decent chance of that. But I think the lines suggested will be a bit higher EV overall.

The plays you made were still plus EV, and you got unlucky. But you already knew that, lol.