Shouldn't this be a straight Jack to 2 or am I missing something here

Were you thinking of a backward straight–2-A-K-Q-J? I’ve never seen a straight calculated that way. Seems clear the better pair–Q-Q–beat the pair 2-2. Maybe some games are Dealer’s Choice that allow the Ace to swing both ways.

Hey asdav unfortunately there are no there are no straights there. The board ran J Q K 2 4 which is not a straight. Mwhite89 won the hand with the pair of queens and ace kicker.

A “wrap around straight” is a home game rule you see sometimes. Also called a “round the corner” straight, it’s not a standard poker hand. Another interesting variant is the “skip straight,” which would be like 4 - 6 - 8 - 10 - Q. As long as everyone agrees, you can invent all kinds of wild rules for your home game!

1 Like

i don’t know about home game rules, but in official hold’em there indeed won’t exist straights that go in loops.

here another few things that might interest you to know:

• the straight are always valued to the highest card in the straight. so 8910JQ, is a Q high str8. if someone also has the 6 and 7, it’s 678910JQ, but it’s still the same hand because it’s also a Q high str8 and always the best 5 cards apply.
  • there won’t be any loops so a 2 high str8 won’t exist, however an ace can be used as a 1, which makes an 5 high straight possible, so A2345 is valid, but it’s the lowest str8 possible. str8’s are the only reason you can use an ace as 1.

hope this helps.

2 Likes

Also known as a kangaroo straight…

2 Likes

Hahahahahaha. That was great !!! :slight_smile: