Shopping!

Where do YOU like to shop?

2 Likes

What the shopping customer sees and what the store employees see is very different. I spent most of my working life in retailing, so I’d know. I remember working for a department store called Bradlee’s back in the dark ages. Our toy department manager, Tom, literally made more than half his yearly sales during the final 5 or 6 weeks of the year. We’d lock him and his overnight crew in the store when we closed for the night at 9 PM. He’d work all night with his crew restocking shelves, go home when we opened at 9 AM, and come back at 5 PM to do it again–for five or six weeks straight. He HATED shopping for anything, and most especially toys. And, with his 5 kids, what would he see on Christmas morning? More toys, of course. He both loved and hated Christmas. Most retailers simply dislike it. We’ll go into a store knowing exactly what we want, grab it, pay for it and run like the devil was chasing us to get back to our cars and escape the mall.

3 Likes

And that, dear Alan25main, is how I shop for EVERYTHING! I didn’t get the right gene for shopping. Great story!

3 Likes

Everything that’s online and I can get it fast. Amazon of course is my “ go to “ ! :+1:t2:

1 Like

My name is Jan, and I’m a bookaholic. I have learned to get my fix at Bookshop.org so that private booksellers will reap a profit from my purchase. Much as I love the ease of Amazon, I like to keep private local bookstores in business. (We have none in my community. Sob.)

2 Likes

I support the local library in my community. As a kid growing up I hated the library seeing it as a chore. Now as I’m older it’s a valuable, enjoyable part of my life. Whoever thought of audiobooks while I’m driving is a genius. Keeps the blood pressure down from road rage lol.

2 Likes

Oooh–the library is my favorite place to “shop!” Right on, Craig!

3 Likes

You rock :+1:t2:

Pass it on …

1 Like

I think that women shop much differently than men.

The other day, my GF said she was going shopping. Being a curious fella, I asked her what she was going to buy, and was a little surprised when she said she didn’t know. So I asked, “If you don’t know what you are going to get, how do you know what store to go to?”

She looked at me like I had suggested that we eat the cat, and said, “Sales.”

So I said, “Lowes is having a sale on construction lumber, will you be shopping at Lowes?”

She glared at me and said, “No, we don’t need any construction lumber, why would I shop there?”

"But why go shopping at all if you don’t really need anything?’

Sha said, “If I shop enough, I will find stuff we need, and save money because it’s on sale!”

“Yeah, but you can save a lot more money if you just stay home.”

By now, her lower lip was starting to quiver a little, and she blurted out, “You just don’t get it!”

Well, she was right about that! I just let out a deep sigh and said, “OK baby, have fun shopping!” And off she went to spend a day wandering aimlessly through store after store looking for stuff we “need” that happens to be on sale.

This doesn’t sound like fun to me, but what do I know? I’m just a man.

4 Likes

I agree Jan. The only shopping I enjoy, is going to Farmers Market for fresh veggies. I can go years, yes years without going to a department store. I haven’t been to a mall in at least 25 years. I have yet to experience on line shopping.

2 Likes

Man and wife going shopping in the mall for shoes.
Man goes into nearest shoe shop, selects pair of shoes, tries them on, buys them. Goes to sit outside to wait for wife.
Wife goes into same shop, selects half a dozen pairs to try on, thinks she likes one pair but decides to look elsewhere first. On way to next shop is diverted into a coffee shop where she spies a girl friend. Over coffee girl friend suggests they look in the next door dress shop. They spend a happy hour in the changing rooms trying on clothes. Back to coffee shop for another refreshing coffee. Decide that they need new handbag to match the lovely dress they have each bought. Go to large department store to look at handbags, and stop off at the cosmetics counter to try new lipsticks and perfume. Wife remembers she is shopping for shoes and tries on all the ones in her size.
Says bye to girl friend and nips to the ladies (all that coffee). Returns to original shoe shop and buys first pair she tried on.
Is amazed to find husband is not still sitting outside!

4 Likes