Retirement

JT and Anhaga : no worries, I am hanging in there and will try a bit higher level, as suggested. Thanks!

2 Likes

I have the same problem.

And then I played a couple of total bingo hands! I’m so sorry. I went tilt like a pinball machine.

Thank you for your input. Perhaps others will see that poker is a game and not a war.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this helps or reinforces your feelings Anhage74. …But a couple days ago I was the first to sit at a MT SnG. It was filling up achingly slow. So I tubed and googled to pass the time. I came back to check on it and thought “oh good we’re full!” But then I noticed all the zeros. I had missed the tourney. Never saw a hand and finished 10 th. So maybe try that strategy. DON"T EVEN LOOK!

2 Likes

Super idea!!

1 Like

You all seem to be friendly enough so I will jump in. I quit working when I was thirty and played poker for a living for 15 years. In that time I won enough money that I will never again have to have a J O B. I mention my history only so that you give proper credence to my observation.

Every limit and level of poker that I played in my life had people that seemed to be playing horribly and still at least in the short term are winning. I suggest you do two things (or quit if it’s not fun, since its fake money anyway.

1 Look for the musings and missives of Mike Caro, he is very wise, and well written
2 specifically determine what your opponents are doing wrong and create a game plan to destroy that particular weakness.

And never forget the old adage, do you want them to play better? Would that help you?

4 Likes

thank you.

1 Like

Absolutely it would help me! I’ve been using Replay as a forum to learn and test out and refine my strategy in preparation for real-life poker tables. When I see other players make good/interesting plays, I try to incorporate them into my own game. If the other players on this site are really difficult to play against, it might lose me chips in the short term, but earn me dollars in the long run. I’ll take that trade any day of the week!

2 Likes

Sounds like a good plan!

In my experiance , what Mr. Anhaga expressed is correct. acording to me , i haved played without loss for more than a year. while achieveing that goal my co players may sufferd .iam sorry for that.i think / feel that some of the players has no sportiveness. i don’t want to hurt any body. just expressing my openion.shortly leaving this site.i thank each and everyone & wish good luck to all in real life. thank you all.

Thank you for your input.

WSOP players empathize with you. That said, I have to point out one VITAL piece of information that you “know”. It’s not really money. You can get close to virtual play on a website, but without the actual loss or gain of real money, you won’t get “real money” play. I agree with you that playing ring games won’t appreciably sharpen your money game skills. However, digital tournaments DO tend to run true to real life poker tournaments. You get the “strange” play, you get the “grinders”, you get the “maniac” that goes all in on deuce-seven… That’s how real life poker tournaments go. You can use Replay Poker to legitimately sharpen your tourney skills.

5 Likes

I know how you feel. I try to counter that by only playing them with value hands, and avoid all ins. Doesn’t always work, but eventually someone will catch them out. I find biding time (yep, it is frustrating) does pay off as usually the deeper into a tournament the less cowboys.

3 Likes

That’s been my experience here too. Ring games have the crazies at all times but the tournaments have a different class or mindset. Early on, you have the crazies but they will kill each other. If you get to where half the players have been eliminated, you’ll begin seeing the cream rise. The deeper you go, the better the players.

3 Likes

Agreed! As you go deeper you only have to beware the tilts. I apologize in advance.:wink:

3 Likes

Sad to hear of a retirement. I find it strange that players get frustrated by players chasing outside bets and being beaten by a “lucky” flop on the river. If you play enough games you will see the most outlandish hands and bets win pots. Even professional players tear their hair out and go postal over something that doesn’t go their way.The thinking seems to be that if a player bets in a certain way to a certain hand, other players will respond in a logical. predictable way. Watch professionals, (playing against other professionals) try to analyse how they lost a hand. They go through the hand at each stage, flop, turn, river. They analyse the bets and the response from the other players. In most cases they can’t work out how they lost the hand. Poker is a game of chance with the added possibility that a player is bluffing.
A player doesn’t have to respond to an all in bet, especially in a replay game. Play a patient game, wait for an opportunity, play your big pair, but don’t be surprised if you get wiped out by a flush, four of a kind, or twos over threes. Just for fun, check out some of Phil Helmuth’s rants over lost hands. A player who has played enough hands to have seen it all still thinks that he can control how other think and play. If you get frustrated by wild play…move tables, play a waiting game or play with people you enjoy playing with. It is supposed to be fun… enjoy it.

7 Likes

Good advice although one can’t move tables in a tournament.

I find whining improves my cards…YMMV

3 Likes

Tried it, but I usually get outwhined!

1 Like