Re-seating during mtt fairness

Asian Special

in 20min’s play ive been moved 7 times of which 4 in or close to BB ??

not the first time either

please fix this

I find myself in this situation also and remind myself that “ variety is the spice of life “ . Bring on the blinds !

Some early table building and moving seems to happen in early Tourney play. I used to watch tables build and kinda pick which new table group might prefer a seat at.

1 Like

dont like re-seating but i understand, but “bring on the blinds” can be a raw deal, in this case ~20% of my stack

I understand your concern.

YES table moving so many times in the early minutes of the game is reasonable and fair. As we all know many players go all in early and many lose, so in order to balance the tables players need to be re-seated. I would rather play at a full table then 2-4 till that table was down to 1 or 2. Getting moved to close to or into a big bind slot is plain rotten luck. Enjoy

2 Likes

seems to me (also got moved back to 1st table) other people could have been moved to make it more fair, 100% there where more then 40/85 people left at that time

• ftr: not complaining because i lost, i ended 4th

That’s very possible if there was a seat at the table open. Sometimes I get bounced around a lot , sometimes I don’t. It’s all part of the MTT process. Glad you finished in the money. Perhaps being bounced around worked to your advantage.

3 Likes

'perhaps it cost me 2nd place, because my ~15k blind loss wasnt in the 3? subsequent all-in’s (30,60,120k) ?

i only suggested this be looked into, so re-seating is not inflicted on only “1 or 2” players but evenly distributed?

Believe me, having been here over 7 years and playing only MTTs and SNGs, everyone has their turn getting bounced around to multiple tables. Sometimes more than others sometimes not. As long as you don’t get dizzy :face_with_spiral_eyes: and finish in the money :moneybag: you’re ahead of the game. I don’t know if there is a thing as “ even distribution “.

Best of luck

Once was very close in a Tourney with a payout to 10… Then was moved back and forth between tables — Had very few chips and made it to final table and was sitting dark with all chips in… finished ninth…

1 Like

Whew, In the money :moneybag::+1:t2:

MrReplay explained it all in this post in Oct '15

This is going to a rather long winded response, and should really be in our help section, but anyway here goes…

There are two simple rules that we check every time a player is eliminated from a tournament:

REMOVE TABLE - Remove a table if it’s possible (and redistribute the players amongst the remaining tables)

REBALANCE PLAYERS - Don’t ever allow the number of players on two tables to differ by 2+ players (move players amongst the tables to ‘rebalance’ them)

1. REMOVE TABLE

SCENARIO: 9 seat tourney with 19 players, seated: 7,6,6. One player gets eliminated, now seated: 7,6,5. That leaves 18 players which fit in two 9 seat tables, so we remove one of the tables.

Which table to remove?

The tables with less players, so we have less balances.

Who to move and where?

Move all the players from closed tables to available seats on other tables, always respecting the ideal distribution. There is a scenario where in addition to closing some tables we also have to move players from unclosed tables, this is also to achieve the ideal distribution every time, using a priority system that matches PLAYERS with SEATS (i.e.: 10 seats, 0 = best, 9 = worst).

Based on the last hand played on the removed table, the Big Blind player is given highest priority (0 - best seat), then each seat anti-clockwise from that seat is given the next priority down (1, 2, 3, etc) until the last seat, left of the BB, which is the ‘worst seat’ (first to act) has been assigned a priority. ALWAYS based on seated position.

Finally we match the highest priority players with the highest priority seats, each in turn, until the lowest priority player is seated. Of course there may well be more empty seats than players, which will result in the lowest priority seat(s) not being filled.

Caveat: in a scenario where we need to close a table and balance another, all occupied seats from the closed table will have higher priority than those single balances.

1. REBALANCE PLAYERS

SCENARIO: 9 seat tourney with 26 players, seated: 9,9,8. One player gets eliminated, now seated: 9,9,7. That leaves 25 players, so we can’t remove a table. Instead we must ‘rebalance’ the tables, so that there is only a difference of 1 player (max) between the tables. Hence, a player is moved from a table with 9 players, to a table with 7 players, now seated: 9,8,8.

When does the rebalance occur?

Whenever a hand ends, we check to see if we have the ideal distribution. Players are then flagged as standing in one table and sitting in another, no players stand in the middle of a hand where they are playing.

Which table to move a player from?

All tables where the number of participants is greater than the ideal.

Which player to move?

Choose the N worst seats (ie. seated left of the Big Blind player) from all tables where the number of participants is greater than the ideal. Even if the player has been moved already, he/she’ll be moved again.

Basically at the end of each hand in a tournament we try to make an ideal distribution of the participants that are still playing through the numbers of tables that are necessary for number of players based on the number of seats.

Bust-outs

If a bust-out occurs during a hand, and that table must be rebalanced after, the current priority is considered, not the priority from the future hand, which could cause a seat other than the worst to be moved.

That’s it, simple! :wink: