Puzzlers and Games

oops… you will never reach the door.

dingdingdingdingding!
We have a winner!
Well done.

1 Like

I think you get a special prize for knowing this!! Wow. Very cool. I want one!

It’s my theory, after hours (nay, a lifetime) of study, that it will take three more steps.

@johnlittle,
you’re closer so …

It is impossible to get thru the door, but you can get reallly really close.

1 Like

I remenber school maths… analysis of the infinity … and in the end (but there is none) you will have contact. lol

btw. rectangle with 3 lines… hihi
rechteck

3 Likes

:rofl:

This is my favorite, for sure! I tried to tell my engineer husband about the solution involving folding the paper, per Sassy. He considered that cheating. This, however, he accepts–and if he accepts, I accept!

1 Like

Here’s a harder one. (Credit to Bletchley Park Braintears, by Sinclair McKay.)

The Unknown Quantity
This code is a straightforward substitution of numbers for letters. The code is the same in all the words. Which number should take the place of the question mark?

a) 1 4 4
b) 4 1 2 3 1
c) 3 5 6 4 3 2 1
d) 1 2 4 3 2 1
e) 5 1 6 2 3 2 4
f) 3 2 6 2 1
g) 5 6 2 4 1
h) 1 2 3 4 5 6 ?

(Just FYI, it’s my theory that my poker game improves if I have something to do during hands I fold. Otherwise I’m too tempted to play a hand in spite of lousy hole cards.)

Originally I thought 7…
My answer is 1

The book says neither 7 nor 1. Sorry!

The story goes like this @JanCee ,
I was out @ a dance bar, I’m next in line to get my drink opposite the stage/DJ. The DL starts asking question as I order drink. he finishes question as I pay for drink, and I’m going ooo ooo oo I know. I’m 50’ from DJ booth. While making my way over, and I’m in no hurry, cause I thought I had 0 chance, like 14 ppl answer incorrectly , by this point I’m standing on the edge of stage and there’s a pause in the ppl trying to answer. So I take 3-4 steps while raising my hand and say’n “I know”. DJ says “and”… ( of course everyone turns and is staring @ me) so I say proudly " well… because each step is 1/2 the distance to the door, you cannot get THRU the door, its a trick question " :crazy_face: DJ shakes his head, rolls his eyes and says “You’re… right , come get your Jacket”. :sunglasses:

Twas a contest for 2 satin Jackets, with Bar name on reverse, very kewl… I was a regular, so I wore it often back to that bar… I got looks, cause they all knew I knew, but it was just a math prob , I love math.
Sassy

2 Likes

things that make ya go hmmmm
not 1, ok … ending # was 4-1-1-1-4-1-1-?
so I took a shot @ it.

@JanCee
Is the ? in the right place.??
This puzzle is a tough Egg to crack.
It must have taken a real Genie to create it
I Imagine it took some time
to Engine er something
with such hidden Meaning
into an Inane sentence
about Mange.
A real Enigma .

p.s. it almost drove me crazy

1 Like

Never go crazy over a puzzle! Give me until tomorrow so I can help a bit. I am working on it myself. I do have the answer, but I want to be able to defend it! :slight_smile: And yes, the ? is apparently in the right place…

One. You should now be 3’ from the door. You have shown on step 1 that you can manage 4’ in a single step. Do that again and you will be through the door.

I’m guessing the sign on the door reads, “Ministry of Silly Walks.”

2 Likes

SPG,
I guess there was a typo I miss’d, shouldda been 8’ away, but all 3 steps listed decreased by 1/2 each time, so end result is the same as listed.
Sry folks I cannot edit my posts, just now did I notice this.
Sassy

2 Likes

Hmmmm.
I had another try at it and I am pretty sure I cracked the code and I hid them in the post above (1 each line) but I still cant see any value for the ? . The final word can only be followed by the letter s or t enigmas enigmata enigmatic and they have no assigned code value if i’m on track.
Thanks for posting it. I really enjoy working on this type of puzzle

1 Like

You got it absolutely right, and it’s MY fault you were stumped. I am dying of shame. I don’t know how I even did it, but I typed 6 and then question mark, when the six should have been the question mark (and the 6 the answer.) Now you can feel MY sins! Fogive??

The Unknown Quantity
CORRECTED VERSION: This code is a straightforward substitution of numbers for letters. The code is the same in all the words. Which number should take the place of the question mark?

a) 1 4 4
b) 4 1 2 3 1
c) 3 5 6 4 3 2 1
d) 1 2 4 3 2 1
e) 5 1 6 2 3 2 4
f) 3 2 6 2 1
g) 5 6 2 4 1
h) 1 2 3 4 5 ?