Position at the table and strategy

Good morning… I have been playing on this site for just over 1 year. As of this writing, I have over 236 million chips ! There is no secret to my success, just mathematics and one fundamental strategy.
First, the strategy…NEVER play at a 9 player table when you can play at a 6 player table. AND…NEVER sit in the 1st position (1st base)…it’s a LOSER (that’s why it’s always open and available when you join the game). Instead, use the ‘open table’ button and look at the game. See who has the most chips…and pick the seat just BEFORE his position. That way YOU will draw the cards that HE would have gotten.(hypothetically). You have probably noticed that some seating positions (at most tables) DRAW unbelievable cards ! Therefore, you only need to follow the trend.

1 Like

Interesting stuff. I am not much of a ring game player, but yesterday I played on a 1000/2000 table and was able to take my stack from 250,000 to over 900,000 in an hour or so. I don’t know about position, but I noticed that several times the flop came with two jacks, so I played any hand that contained jacks and made a row of full houses.

Perhaps it would pay to watch a number of hands before joining to see what card is coming up most often on the flops!

It does sometimes seem that some players get all the good cards, but it is a bit like playing roulette. Sometimes it seems like the first dozen numbers are being hit again and again, and sometimes you can win by following them, but then again, suddenly they will go dry. I think it is something to do with the mysterious law of averages.

It is true that 6-player tables are different from 9-player tables. You can play looser at a 6-player table and positional bluffs are more likely to succeed.

3 Likes

I have been playing on this site for a little over 1 year and have over 236 million chips. So, something is working for me ! The answer is obvious and a matter of mathematics.
First of all, why would you play at a 9 player table when there is a 6 player table open ?
Statistically, with 9 players, you ONLY have an 11% chance to win. At a 6 player table, it rises to 16% even before the cards are dealt ! (better odds)
Secondly, if you bet a decent amount pre-flop and only 2 players fold, your odds just went up to 25% (1 in 4). AND…if you are playing Omaha hi-low, it’s jumped to 50% that you will at least split the pot.

Why play 6-seat tables when you can play heads-up? You have a 50% chance to win, which is very good!

2 Likes

Welcome back to the forums. Enjoy the banter and the games.

1 Like

why play at all? 100% chance won’t lose! which is very very good!

2 Likes

:rofl: Now you’re just making me laugh, Poker Dude!

1 Like

There is something to be said about having better odds of winning on a 6 player table, but really it’s just different mathematical strategy. Sure, it’s much easier to bluff, but with fewer cards in play it’s equally easy to be blind sided on that showdown.
On a 9 player table on the other hand, it’s easier to calculate how many different hands can beat you. For instance you could be dealt pocket aces, everything is looking promising already. But than the flop shows 337 which makes it pretty easy for someone to at least have 3 of a kind, and the turn shows 3377. With 8 other players in the ring, you know it’s almost certain 1 or 2 players has a full house. No ace on the river, you know it’s a better idea to fold. With more players in the ring, you were able to save your money instead of getting cocky with pocket aces.
A hot table is a myth, and part of the gambler’s fallacy. Play 10 rounds of heads or tales and get 9 tales, what are the odds of the 10th round being tales? It’s still 50 50.

1 Like