PC Overkill

WinstonSmith please put in a report and I will be glad to esc to staff for a name change. Please do that for any id or avatar that you don’t agree with. I can’t guarantee that staff will always agree but we do forward the request on.

What’s wrong with chink? Pekin IL hi school team name is the Pekin Chinks because Pekin is on the exact opposite side as Peiping China. Actually they changed the name to the Dragons, but everybody still calls them the Chinks…

Inherently, nothing… but some folks use it as a racial epithet that has sort of spoiled the pot. It can be a very ugly, hurtful term that shares some legitimate definitions. Trying to automatically determine the context is a tough thing to do!

Hi marcipan,
It’s Wo! here in Ireland to stop a horse.
Bar.

Thanks, we learn every day something… lol
PS If You come visit to Hungary, use Ho or hoo, or you may end up hit a wall or something

When my son was younger and in a middle-school Shakespeare class, he came home one day and laughingly said,

Ok, one of the kids asked why Shakespeare and MacBeth kept calling Lady MacBeth a ‘ho,’ as in ‘What Ho?’

1 Like

Good story Maggie,
We call a cigarette a ■■■. There are many stories of Irish people being misunderstood in the States when they innocently asked where they could get fags.
Bar.

See! they blanked that.

I agree with everything that has been said already in regards to Reply getting a bit too over the top in their PC ways
I mean, where do you draw the line? Every case is relative. Not everyone finds the same stuff funny/offensive.

I was engaging in a bit of banter with a couple of close friends a while ago, and one of them reported me as a joke. I was banned from talking for a month. I carefully explained to the mods that I meant no harm in it, it wasn’t to be taken seriously and he was giving as good as he got. The mods, however, are not used to Australian culture or willing to learn about the cultures of others, so the ban remained. I didn’t even get one message back from them.

Also, on a side note, the word spade can be used in a derogatory fashion. How long before you guys decide to ban that one too?

Hi Scotty,
Australian culture seems to be very like Irish culture. What we call ‘slagging’ is a social norm. Insults and put downs are much more common than compliments or praise and are usually taken with good humour and returned with interest. It all adds greatly to the gaiety of the nation. Most swear words can be used either as insults or terms of endearment.
For instance, “I’ll effing kill you” is not a death threat but means “Thanks for the pint.”, used when someone buys you a drink when you are just about to go home for your dinner.
I like the sound of Australia, I think I could fit in there.
Bar.
PS. Clubs are offensive weapons.

It’s not that we don’t understand it, it’s that from your perspective, it isn’t offensive – that doesn’t apply to every culture, or even every Australian. It’s a balancing act, but I strongly believe everyone here can manage to express themselves without relying on the blacklisted lexicon.

It’s pretty unfortunate, but the minority of aggressive trolls can make a problem for a large amount of steadfast, upstanding community members. I’d rather blank out a word, one that’s not even really necessarily common, than have 50, 100, or 1000 people turn away from the fun of poker because someone can’t stop saying naughty words, you know?

Then you run into the issue of scaling: how do you decide that every use of a word is kosher when you have a few humans watching out for thousands? It’s not alway feasible to examine every use of the word “screw,” say – which means we have to rely on technology, which is notoriously bad at being human.

We’re defintely open to feedback though. If you feel it’s honestly inhibiting your ability to carry on a conversation, let us know – I can’t guarantee it’ll change, but we’re definitely up for re-evaluating our policies and methods. Of course, you are always welcome to appeal moderation too, if you believe there’s been a mistake.

And since we’re talking about words, let me amuse the non-Americans here: talking about your fanny is a pretty polite way to refer to your rump over here. =) Even have fanny packs for storing wallets, passports, or other personal items on the go! Other parts of the world? I’m pretty sure I’d get punched in the mouth for casually chatting about my hip bag. =)

Hey Gatsby,
I support your point of view, but it’s interesting (and fun) to see some of the anomalies that crop up, as they’re bound to.
It does raise a few serious points, however.
I have seen the word idiot used freely about some (bingo) players. It’s not an offensive term but it is highly insulting. Any imaginative person can come up many variations of insult without breaking any PC rules, so it is impossible to police.
The important thing to remember is that “YOU DON’T KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO.” You could be causing great hurt to someone who already has low self esteem. Nobody comes on to a poker site to be denigrated and bullied. You go to Facebook for that.
It’s nice to be nice.

On a lighter note, the best insult I’ve heard is… “I’d say you were born at home… that’s where most accidents happen.”

Take care,
Bar.

P.S. I love that Rockin’ 1000 video.

Forgot to hit the reply button.
Reply is under your post.

im in the us now so I say color lol. What baffled me was there was someone in room called dick something so I typed “dick” because I wanted to talk to me and the spellchecker blocked me. That was odd. Clint

how do u get “herpes” into a convo on rp? just wondered

Can people please stop saying which words haven’t been censored yet? I can sense it having an adverse effect. Instead of getting less words off the blacklist and replay to ease up on their PC ways, now cancer and idiot will more than likely be added to it to cover for the off chance that someone gets called one, cries and doesn’t want to play on this website anymore.

And yet there is a player on the site called bigdick. Very odd indeed.

I was wondering that too. The mind boggles.

You’re dead right Scotty. We shouldn’t be fueling the fire.
They’ll be banning Aussie and Paddy next.