Online poker and life lessons

Things you have learned from playing Replay Poker that apply to the grander scheme.

1 Like

Online Poker and life lessons ?

Life lessons ? What grander schemes ? Of what ,Life ? Poker ?

I don’t see any correlation between free online poker and life lessons.

I know it has no bearing on my international conglomerates.

Maybe I’m missing something……

Playing poker has taught me to be a “watcher of my thoughts” to not take this game so seriously or to personalize it based on my ego’s interpretation of things that happen while I’m playing. Poker has taught me to be less critical of others and to default to kindness or silence as my first response. So for me poker has taught me a lot about myself and life.

7 Likes

Playing poker (and almost never anywhere but on-line) has taught me not to be so sure about the “sure thing.” I watch people in my life who go “all in” on things that I have learned (thank you, poker) to hedge on.

5 Likes

Things like patience, not acting on emotion, sportsmanship.

4 Likes

I already have those virtues thank you. Looking for specific to online poker life lessons ? I really don’t know, hmmm…you really got me on this one I must say .

1 Like

To be objective and openminded about why you win and lose. Don’t confuse luck with skill in any sphere. It is also useful to be able to identify this confusion in other fields. e.g Politicians who suffer from Dunning Kruger syndrome

1 Like

I wish I could have said I had those virtues, Craig! I only wish I’d had the opportunity to practice these skills in poker before I took a job in management! lol

2 Likes

You learn a LOT of life skills when you serve your country in the United States Marine Corps.

4 Likes

Do I hear an “Amen”. Reply to Craig LOL

5 Likes

I do not doubt that for a second. Well done, all of you who have served.

4 Likes

" When the student is ready the teacher will appear. When the student is truly ready… The teacher will Disappear.”

― Tao Te Ching

2 Likes

Patience
It is not always about winning(although that is nice)
You can have virtual friends…
I am sure there are others…oh yeah-
AA is not always a winning hand.
I love Replay poker!

6 Likes

My question seems to have offended you somehow, so I apologize deeply. Thank you for serving our country.

3 Likes

You may find yourself in over your head against overwhelming odds due to questionable decisions. In some cases your best move may be to bluff your way out. Other cases it’s best just to cut your losses and get the hell out of there.

2 Likes

Not offended, just confused on the subject matter in question, no worries. Sometimes I get it sometimes I don’t. It’s on me . Thank you, it was my honor to serve.

1 Like

Poker is a game that rewards you for being observant and analytical. It makes you try and put yourself into someone else’s head, understand the story they are telling and their reaction to the story you are telling to make a decision based on incomplete information. It is a skill that can be applied in all sorts of situations in life.

But at the end of the day it is a game I play to have fun.

2 Likes

Not looking to discover any hidden life lessons. I just like to play cards. Keeping it light and real. It’s a nice escape from the norm for a few hours with some friends. No one else seems to have any profound revaluations although someone did say it saved their marriage by not arguing for a bit with the wifey :rofl:

1 Like