One Useful Bit of Poker-Playin' Advice

Wow. He pulls no punches, does he? You really have to listen carefully during this video to catch everything he’s saying. I watched it twice. And then, go do it. Thanks, 1Warlock.

5 Likes

Ok SPG, but playing better when your not well groomed and wearing no shoes is just as good right? It works for me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not wearing shoes is fine as long as your feet are clean and your toenails neatly trimmed.

Sloppiness is an attitude. If you are sloppy in your personal appearance, how could this attitude not follow you to the table? Poker is a rigorous game and demands a meticulous attention to small details. A sloppy attitude leads to sloppy play, and you will never realize your full potential.

@1Warlock, great vid. He said exactly what I have been trying to say, thanks!

6 Likes

The best coaches/teachers never do. They are hard on their students not because they are mean or bitter but because they honestly care.

3 Likes

And they are probably harder on themselves.

2 Likes

Your one of the best at that and you have my chips to prove it…but Im learning by watching and playing with you.

3 Likes

Awesome Video !

2 Likes

Hey Warlock,
You should pass that video on to FuzzyWuzzy. :shushing_face:
Sassy

Here’s a true story from a fellow poker dealer at the LV Hilton circa 1988. He lost his life savings of about $25k in what is now referred to as Black Monday. He was pretty down, mentally, for a few weeks afterward. Previous to that happening he left me with a nugget that bears repeating. His father bank-rolled him as a youngster and his one piece of advice still resides in my head decades later. His father told him that he didn’t mind him losing his money but it had better be betting or raising and not calling. Doyle Brunson won the World Series two years running with 10-2x. He could beat most of you without ever looking at his cards. Fact, JACK!

2 Likes

Isn’t this just a way of saying that if a hand falls within your range, play it, if not, muck it? Say I’m dealt KJ in mid position, and the table folds to me. KJs is within my range, so I open. KJo is not, so I fold.

2 Likes

Absolutely true, waidus. In the context of the chapter in the book, over-confidence in suited cards was the point being made. Apparently to new players (maybe also seasoned ones?), suited cards are another type of pair. The authors want to emphasize the fallacy of that correlation.

1 Like

I guess I knew this was a remark aimed at beginners, and one that I may have benefited from a few months ago.
The fuel for my response came from reading what dayman had to say about Annie Duke. Anyone who rips off their peers, or worse, underlings, holds a special level of disdain in my eyes. After watching her play, I doubt she had anything relevant to add, and was there for name recognition.
What finally did it for me was paying attention. For every flush draw I got from opening small, or disconnected, suited hands, there were many times I missed the flop completely. Worse than that was hitting one of your suit, or a small pair. As a beginner, this usually cost me even more chips. Now I’m thinking trips, or backdoor, not knowing poker odds, yet.
Another thing is post flop play. Until I get comfortable gauging my outs against how much it’s gonna cost me, and what i could win, I tend to look at how many ways my hand can grow into a winner. Disconnected suited elimates a straight. (at least a good one, using both hole cards.) Small suited hands, and there’s no overcards, and the chance of a tournament ending showdown against a bigger flush. Even after i learned when to dump a hand, the leak was still there.
Your original post is very good advice for players who haven’t learned that preflop decisions should be made in study, and not on the spot, except occasionally when table dynamics come into play. It’s a shame they hung Duke’s name on it.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I am sorry to have been so out of the loop on the sins of Annie Duke. I shall move on to better mentors, for sure.

“IF THIS HAND WEREN’T SUITED” - can you please explain this term? I do not know the poker terminology well.

1 Like

In poker, the term “suited” refers to when you are dealt two cards of the same suit in games in which you are dealt two “hole cards” pre-flop.
( :heart: :heart:) or ( :clubs: :clubs:) or (:diamonds: :diamonds:) or (:spades: :spades:)

Hope this helps

2 Likes

I think suited cards does make a hand more playable, because if one card of the desired suit comes on the flop, then that greatly increases the number of cards that could improve that hand on the turn.

In her book Duke stresses that the chances of flopping a flush are 115 to 1, so it is not worth bothering about whether cards are suited, but in the kind of games you see on RP player with flush draws, especially nut flush draws, will call any bet, so it is always a factor. And if there are three suited cards on the flop, someone will always be pursuing a flush.

3 Likes

I agree. Still, the caution flag remains hoisted. :slight_smile:

3-bet, C-bet, stack chips

2 Likes

what is a nut flush draw?

1 Like

welcome joey
when drawing for a flush, you need the highest card of the suit in your hand. it’s usually the ace. If the ace is on the board, you need to have the king in your hand. If the ace and king are on the board, you need to have the queen in your hand. If you make the flush, and have the nut, no other flush can beat you.

1 Like