On This Day In Sports History!

Hi everyone!

I’ve decided to create this thread “On This Day In Sports History!” At least once a week I’ll try to update it with facts about historical events that happened on that day in the sports world. There is no specific sport for this thread so every sport can be included also feel free to post any historical sports event I may have missed. With that being said and research being done let’s look at what happened on this day in sports history!

January 29th:

1936: 1st players elected to Baseball Hall of Fame: Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Christy Mathewson & Walter Johnson.

1963: The first members to the NFL’s Hall of Fame were named in Canton, OH. Some of the names included were: Sammy Baugh, Johnny Blood, Dutch Clark and Red Grange to name a few.

1995: The San Francisco 49ers defeated the San Deigo Chargers in Super Bowl XXIX with the final score 49-26. They became the first team to win 5 Super Bowl Championships.

4 Likes

On this day in sports history:

February 6th:

1932: Dog sled racing happened for the first time in Olympic competition.

1958: Ted Willams signs contract with the Boston Red Sox for $135,000 making him the highest paid player in major league history at the time.

1870: The NBA expands to 18 teams. The new teams were Buffalo, Cleveland, Houston and Portland.

2005: The New England Patriots defeated the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl XXXIX with the final score 24 - 21. This was the Patriots 3rd Super Bowl win in 4 years

On this day in sports history:

February 13th

1923: “The Renaissance,” the first black pro basketball team, was organized.

1937: The NFL’s Boston Redskins moved to Washington.

1982: Bryan Trottier of the New York Islanders score 5 goals against the Philadelphia Flyers.

1983: The World Boxing counsel cuts matches from 15 to 12 rounds.