Omaha rules?

please help me understand how i can win a hand using 1 jack from my hand with 1 community card to make a pair? if its meant to be 2 cards at least from my hand???
very confused

I think that this section from Wikipedia explains the rules pretty well.

hi @trickytee

First of all, it’s not meant to be “at least” 2 cards from your hand. It has to be exactly 2 cards from your hand, and 3 from the board, to make a hand in Omaha.

Second, if you have 1 jack in your hand and there’s another jack on the board, you already have a pair, regardless of what the other card from your hand and the other 2 cards from the board are. For example, if you have AKQJ in your hand and on the board you have 2569J, your hand will be the best 2 cards from your hand + the best 3 from the board. In this case, you have AJ from your hand + J96 from the board. Your hand will be JJA96. That’s 1 pair.

The combination is always the best 2 cards from your hand and the best 3 from the board.

I hope this helps but please do ask with more details if this doesn’t answer your question.

4 Likes

Well explained Maya :wink:

2 Likes

As long as we’re explaining stuff: If I am dealt two pairs, like 33KK, is that a good hand to be betting on? It looks like a good hand, but in reality I think the best you can hope for is a set, or quads if a miracle happens :sweat_smile: Am I right about that?

You could win with 1 pair, 2 pair, a set, a boat, or quads. It’s definitely worth playing, especially if one of the pairs is AA or KK. Many enthusiastic players go all in preflop with AA and KK regardless of what the other 2 cards are.
If you have 33KK and the board shows K8842 you get a full house KKK88.
If the board shows 98842 you could win with 2 pair KK889
Or as you mentioned, a set or even quads could be winning.
It’s definitely a hand worth playing.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the FH possibility :+1:

I guess going in at first with the basic bet is ok, but I wouldn’t go all in preflop, because with Omaha, too many things can happen.

If the KK33 is double-suited, that helps a lot, too. Note: this ONLY applies to Omaha HIGH, not High-Low. At High-Low, the single low value card–even though you have 2 of them–means you can never hold a low. And, even at High only, if you catch only a 3 or miss the flop completely, it’s a really difficult hand to continue with in the face of any opponent’s substantial bet. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t play it, just that you have to be merciless about continuing if you don’t pick up a K 3, or flush draw.

2 Likes

In Omaha Hi it’s a speculative hand, even double-suited. And as Alan said, in hi/lo you have zero low equity so there’s no scoop potential unless the board texture is absolutely miraculous. The best you can hope for is to win half the pot if the board texture presents a qualifying low.

I’d play that hand only for a limp, or if you feel like gambling. If it’s raised at all pre-flop it’s an easy fold.

Let’s assume your KK33 is double-suited (K3 of spades and K3 of hearts). For hi/low you’d want to see a suited flop (hearts or spades) with an A and 2 other cards higher than an 8. Then you’re on a freeroll unless the board pairs. And anyone betting that with inferior hearts or spades is drawing dead to the flush. If only the A and one other card are suited, you’re on a draw.

Having an A on the board offers lo potential for another player to make their low if the turn and river both end up being low cards (that don’t counterfeit the ones their holding).

Let’s say the flop is AQ of hearts and the 9 of spades. You have the nut heart draw, and you’ll need to hit a heart on the the turn or river to make your flush. Here I’d make a bet from any position, 3/4 to full pot (if you want to protect your hand and take the pot down right there). Do not donk bet it for 1BB like so many players do unless you want to invite callers. (I wouldn’t donk bet it because with a hand like that you have extremely limited redraw potential). When you make your bet, savvy players will likely consider that you’re on a nut heart draw and fold to you. Then again, you might get called or even raised by someone holding AQ or A9 if their read on you is that you’re just on a draw. They can make it very expensive for you to draw to that one needed heart.

The bottom line is this: Every hand is a situation that has to be evaluated on its merits. There’s no rote-playing of a hand like that other than to consider it an easy fold unless the conditions are exactly right.