Nh thread

Yes, but you have to take your right hand off the mouse, type in the numbers, then hit enter and sometimes the enter will not take unless you minimize the window, then enlarge it again, by which time you may be folded out. Anyway I can guarantee that a large number of players on RP find it difficult to enter the numbers in the very limited time available, so don’t even bother.

All we need is buttons for Min Bet, 1/4 Pot, 1/3 Pot, 1/2 Pot, 2/3 Pot, Pot, and double Pot and we would be good. Or else have an onscreen slider for making preflop bets from 1 to 10 BB.

I have no idea whatsoever how technically difficult it is to implement buttons and sliders. Obviously it is not very easy, or we would have them already.

Software development is not that hard. These are simple user controls that you’re talking about. It is usually the business processes that are the problem, or other work being higher priority.

Mekon,
I drape my left arm across table, below the keyboard, perfect for left handed input without need for enter button since my right hand never leaves the mouse. ( when I used a PC ) Trust me, I’m on your side about preaction and action buttons, and with HTML5 conversion … now is the time for them to easily add a new layout.

Different ranked players, seem to use different methods… slider vs manual vs buttons. Players good @ bet sizing, usually use an amount referenced by what the pot is.

Plus, when players talk about getting like a 3:1 on thier bet… betting pot is a 1:1 unless you hope for 1 caller then thats a 2:1. Lets say you bet 1k into a 2k pot ( 1/2 pot ) and everyone folds, you did get a 2:1 on your bet. It just means someone who uses 1/2 pot/pot might also be doing it cause its a std return on thier bet.
Sassy

now this would been ridiculous had someone had pocket 4’s. two very nh’s, unfortunate I was on wrong side of a boat.

1 Like

Bounced off of 22M again today. I won my first SNG, bringing my bankroll north of 22.0M for the first time in about a week, and then played 5-6 more SNG, none of them letting me into the money. I lead in the early going in at least four of them.

To summarize how they all go: I win a big pot with a made hand like an A-high flush, and KO a player or two, then I the table settles down and no one busts for 30-min or so, I bleed down from my early lead to lose a few thousand chips. I play some big cards and nothing hits, I can’t get any bluff through, suddenly everyone’s hitting something but not me. I get screwed in a close hand where we both had something, lost a big chunk of my stack, and now am down in the middle. I get a series of cards I’m ready to die on, go all-in, until someone calls, inevitably nothing hits for me, or V just slams the board for trips or better, and I go from 1st to 5th-and-out in a few hands after 45 minutes of patiently trying to play the game the way it was meant to be played, only screwing it up each and every time.

So I’m down about 600k on the night after initially going up 400k earlire in the morning, so about a net 200k loss on the day, and I’m sore about it. I’m a better player than this, and yet the results are what they are: 40 minutes of dominating a table, followed by a bad beat to take away half of my stack, followed by a quick flame-out.

I decide to switch it up and move over to a middle stakes ring game, find a nearly-full table, at 1k/2k, and sit down at the open seat for min buy-in, 250k.

My first hand, I’m UTG, get dealt K8s, limp, the whole table limps, I miss the flop, BB bets pot, most of the table folds except one guy across the table who calls, UTG fires another pot-sized bet on the Turn, guy across the table decides to let it go.

Second hand, I’m dealt JJ, in the BB. Entire table limps again, I open to 3BB, one person folds, I think, and we’re 8-ways to the flop, which is like AT7 or something like that, fairly dry, but the overcard sucks for me with 7 other V’s at the table surely each of them has at least one Ace in their hand, the 27 Aces in the deck distributed evenly among them all, 3 apiece for flopped Quads. The maniac to my right bets pot and gets a couple of calls, but not me. I give up the hand and now I’m down 10k out of my 250. I forget how the hand runs out, I think the maniac to my right bet big on the Turn and closed the action, no showdown.

It’s only 3 hands, but I’m pretty sure I have a good read on this guy.

Next hand, I get dealt A6o, and I’m in the SB, out of position, and it’s a terrible play, but I’m already tilted from taking an extended beating all night in SNG play, so I play it, limping in after the entire table limps around yet again. I flop top pair, Aces, on an A85 board, two spades. I know I’m probably not good here, so I check, and the entire table checks around. OK. So maybe A6 is good here? Turn card is a 4, and I have an inside draw to a 4-8 Straight, which I’m not even thinking about here, I decide to fire with my A6, and because there’s so many who need to fold for me to win it, I make it a pot-size bet, 14,000. Two players call, and then Mr. Maniac playing on the Button, raises to 84,000.

Now, ordinarily I would give this play credit for having a better hand than I have, and it’s pretty easy to have a better hand than AA6 here. But I’ve seen the previous hands, and I’m tilted, and I’m ready to die, so I say “screw it” and shove, let’s see what he does.

Maniac calls, flips up A3, and is in deep trouble unless he can catch a 3 here. Instead, the river fills my inside draw, 7c, and I make the straight I wasn’t even trying for.

Absolutely godawful play, and I take my first 500k pot ever in ring play, because I hardly ever play ring, and unlock the final achievement left for me to achieve. But hands like this are what you see all the time in ring play, and it’s garbage like this that makes me not want to play it. It’s always maniacs who don’t care about their chips throwing around giant piles of them with terrible hands and no real strategy or guile, giant pots most hands, and the losers just rebuy and go at it again until they’re sick of it or broke. You can hang out for a quick big score, but sometimes you get nothing playable for an hour or more, bleed down, and when your win comes it merely tops you back off to where you were when you started. People hit big hands by accident, like I did, take a huge pot because everyone’s loose as a goose, and feel like they’ve played well.

It’s a good place to call it a night, having partially recouped the losses sustained over an evening of frustration, and I’m almost slightly happy. Despite it being bad manners to “go south” after winning a big pot, it’s close to bedtime and I need to get my head clear before I play again. I fold the next few hands, until the BB comes around, and leave the table, +267500 chips in about 5 min. Back up to 21.7M, which is where I’ve been at since mid-October.

1 Like

More or less my experience. I’ll win a big one, stay too long, and end up giving some back. Or I’ll lose a big one and spend the rest of the night exploiting to get back to zero.

I have found that I tend to do better when I play a smart but extremely aggressive game. There’s always that risk of losing the big one when the 20% decides to nail you, sure. However, even at 1K/2K there are plenty of exploitable players to get you back to zero.

I would say 2K/4K is where it starts to change a bit; as you begin seeing sub-200 ranked players much more often. It’s right on the edge of comfort for my bankroll so I try not to play there too often, but it presents its own set of challenges which are different from medium stakes.

1 Like

Happens to the best of them too

1 Like

glad action got aggressive preflp and deciced to fold KQ. vnhs

2 Likes

gf

Here’s one of the quickest 3-Max games you’ll see. I’ve seen them end in one hand. At 10K buy-in.

First, I get dealt JJ in the SB. Button raises to 2BB, I use up the clock and bet half my stack. I’m somewhat surprised to see the BB call, and then the Button comes all-in. That’s fine with me, I can lose a game on the first hand very well.

I call, BB thinks better of it and folds. Button holding AKo busts to me as the board misses him, 98595.

It’s a veritable certitude in this situation that the BB held a 9 or a 5 or possibly 95.

Playing AK here, would you fold, flat, or shove?

Second hand, I’m dealt Q9s on the Button/BB. V shoves his remaining 220 chips. I think about mucking it, but decide I’ve got him well covered, so why not. V flips up 32s, flop is K42 giving him an early pair, but me a flush draw, which fills for me on the river for a Q-high spades flush and the win.

Pretty bingo-y, not a lot of strategy, but nice nonetheless.

Shove.

Yep. That’s the name of the game in these short-stacked ultra-turbos. There’s very little skill involved, and a huge amount of variance.

I had a good week.

Here’s some nice hands:

I didn’t play a lot of SNGs this week, but focused instead on quality over quantity.

2/2 - 2/7
Wins - losses 5 - 2
ITM% 71%
Wins 4
2nd place 0
3rd place 1
4th 1
5th 0
6th 0
7th 0
8th 0
9th 1
Chips
Entry fees 700,000
Winnings 1,881,000
Profit 1,181,000
Profit % 169%

You are on the path to play money wealth. Well done.

3 Likes

This was rather pleasant:

3-Max SNG, 10k buy-in, I’m holding the 2nd stack, just 35 chips behind the leader. A few hands ago, I’d folded 52s with middle pair and a flush draw when the player to my left bet bit on the flop having hit two pair. I got out of the way and watched him take a big pot from the player to my right to take the chip lead from me.

Two hands later, I played 54s, limping from the button, and flopped very well into trip 4s, improved to 4s full of 5s on the Turn, and took both players all-in for a double-up when the player to my left shoved with 42, and the player to my right called with a straight, 4-8, while I was holding the likely nuts with my full house.

The player with trips bet, the player with the straight raised, I 3-bet one extra BB, and induced the player with trips to shove, and then we both called. I KO’d the player to my right, and left the player to my left with 35 chips, which I cleaned up on the next hand to win the game.

1 Like

Bubble KO with 99 vs JQs.

I raised and called v’s jam, floped OESD, Turn filled V’s ISD, while improving me to a set + OESD, then the river gave me 999s full of TTens.

No strategy after the flop, just a fun roller coaster ride.

Later in the same game, the game-winner:

I have KK and flop a flush draw, Ace over me. V has AT, and makes two pair on the flop, goes all-in on the Turn. I river the flush for the suck-out.

This will likely be my favorite hand for the some time to come.

Two very nice hands from this morning’s pre-work workout.

K8o vs. pocket 66s. V hits a set, I flop a OESD, 567. V bets, which makes me nervous about calling because this player is very careful and is NEVER bluffing any time they put chips in after the flop. King on the Turn for top pair gives me the confidence to call his bet to put me all in, and I turn out to be wrong, but I suck out a river 4 for the 4-8 Straight.

KTo vs QJs. V hits top pair, Jacks on the flop, while I pair my bottom card; he has a draw to the spades flush on the Turn, I hit two pair on the River for the win.

HU, I’m slightly smaller stacked, V has already done one “raise pre, shove the flop” to put me off a nice hand (I missed the flop). He does it again with 44 on a Q-high flop where I happened to have a Q. I don’t give him credit for QQ+, and if he’s got something that beats me, so be it. Call.

BONK!

Here’s a nice hand where my decisions and actions ended up working out spectacularly for me.

2nd hand of a HU SNG against an unknown. 25k buy-in, 2500 stacks, 15/30 blinds.

First hand, he raised to 3BB from the SB and I folded Q2o. That’s all the info I have on him.

This hand, I am dealt 89o, and raise to 2BB; he 3-bets me to 6BB, I call. Pretty standard 3-bet, and not too much of my stack to take a chance with 89o.

Flop, comes 557, two clubs, I have 8c9h for a gutshot draw. V checks, I check back.

Turn, 8h, I now have top pair on a paired board; I bet half pot, 180 chips, V raises to 900, I call. I put V on two overcards or an overpair here, and I think an overpair is generous; he’s bluffing. This is a pretty cold read though and I could be wrong and very unlucky, but since I have top pair, and a gutshot draw, I’m willing to be wrong, pretty sure he’s not 3! with a random 5 preflop and if he has an overpair and beats me after making 8855, well good on him.

River card fills my gutshot, and I put in for another half-pot-size bet, wanting to get called, which he calls. Lol. Maybe he really did have an overpair? Or like A5s? He doesn’t show. I ended up one card short of a straight flush, lacking the 9c, so was blocking straight flushes unless he had 3c4c, which would have been a really strange line to take with the hand preflop and on this board.

He shoved J7o on the third hand, which I called holding QJ, and cleaned him out.

I haven’t had a tournament where I KO’d 7 of the 8 other players at my table in a while. Truthfully, I can only recall it only happening once before, and I ended up getting 2nd place after KOing the first 7 players.

This time, I took first. Here’s how it went down:

1. Early hand, I’m dealt AA as a gift, raise, get one caller, flop nut set. Check it, V pots it, and I flat. K on the Turn makes me nervous as it completes a straight for QJ, but any other holding I’m fine against. I decide I better assume they have at least a Q or a J, and I better close this down now if I’m still ahead, or just kill myself if I’m already dead. Or maybe I’ll river a boat and be OK. I put in a half-pot bet, which I think probably is a bad size if you want to fold a strong gutshot draw, and I get a call, which at least it’s not a raise, so who knows, I’m pretty good except against all combinations of QJ. 9 hits on a the river, a brick, so I’m not worried about it. If I’m beat, I’m beat; I shove, they fold. It’s a 2700 chip pot for me, which is awesome. Hand #609554424 · Replay Poker
  2. Same player, KO #1. A8s in the BB seat, I come in facing several limpers, so raise it 1/2 pot to 112 to try to fold a few out, which doesn’t work at all. Flop comes 3s4s7h, and I have 4 spades, and would be enthusiastic about seeing the rest of the board run out here. V(ictim) shoves, holding A5, 3 spades, and the table folds around to me; I feel fatalistic and shove back, to ensure the player behind me isn’t priced in and feel any need to call, they get out of the way. Turn card is an immediate disaster for me, a 6, completing a 3-7 Straight, but I suck out with a 9s on the river for the nut flush, and V1 is KO in 9th. Hooray. Hand #609555391 · Replay Poker
  3. KTo, lojack seat, I open to 2BB, pretty weak I know, and 2 players behind me call, along with the SB and the BB. Flop is beautiful, TTA, and it checks around to me, I check and the player behind me shoves 2k chips all-in. I have them covered by 3x and a strong hand if not exactly the nuts, but I’m only beat here by AA and AT, since I’m blocking TT. I reason that it’s very unlikely AA, AT shoves at this pot, since they’re not getting called, so I don’t worry about it, and call, they show K8o, and are drawing dead – two Kings needed just to chop are their only outs, and instead we see two deuces for a full house TTT22. I pull in 4300 chips and KO V(ictim 2). This one feels gift wrapped. Hand #609557704 · Replay Poker
  4. I go on an extended losing streak where I get pretty frustrated as my high end of my range fails to coordinate with any boards I play, and I run through about 2500 chips, dropping back down to a little over 6000. Forgetting momentarily that I’m not in a Badonk’s League game, I am mistakenly under the impression that somehow all my wins have evaporated and I’m back down to my starting stack, which has me feeling pretty tilted. But I’m actually still 2x over my start, and shouldn’t be upset. I’ve lost nearly a buy-in’s worth of chips playing a few hands that had good potential, and I got off most of them before I lost too much.
  5. KTo, in the BB, and the SB limps in holding AQ, I decide to go big and raise from 200 to 1200, or 6BB. SB of course calls. Flop is JQ4, and they check to me; I have OESD and bet big again, and put 2k up, which is enough to put them all-in to call. I’m assuming since they checked, they’ll fold here, and of course as usual it’s another trap for me. they call, flip up AQ, and I’m in trouble unless I draw out.
    I end up Turning Kings for better Top Pair, and suck out on them. I’m so used to losing this hand when the King makes me a hand and then the board ends up completing a broadway straight for V, or a flush, that I don’t recognize that they’ve missed a nut straight, giving me the hand until the chips actually slide over to me; then I have to check and see if I have the flush or something. Nope, just Kings over Queens. 6500 chips to me, and V(ictim) 3 is eliminated in 7th. They thoroughly outplayed me, and I come away from it with the pot. Well, I can’t win them all with skill. Hand #609566464 · Replay Poker
  6. TT, again in the lojack. I raise to 2BB, player in the Hijack raises to 3BB, it comes back around to me and I call. Flop is 69Q, and I figure I better show some aggression here and bet it, hope V doesn’t have the Q. He’s only got 350 chips left, a little over 1BB, and it’s not a problem if he does. I bet to put him all in, he shoves, flips up JJ, and the board runs out 7, 8 giving me a 6-T straight that beats his better pair. V4 eliminated 6th, and again I’ve gotten very lucky with the cards, but here it’s the stack to pot ratio that makes this a mandatory bet on the flop. This time the pot’s worth 5200 chips. Hand #609567979 · Replay Poker
  7. Not a KO, but a very marginal hand that went OK for me. I take 4400 away from A7 with A8 on a JA5 J3 board. I’m in early position and check-call the flop, turn, and river, and edge out a close hand. I could afford to lose, but might have folded to larger bets, especially after the second Jack arrived. Hand #609569595 · Replay Poker
  8. AKo, on the button, and same player as the hand above puts in half their chips to raise 2BB holding ATs. This should have been a shove for them, but even so I’m still calling with AK and so much of a stack advantage. I re-raise to put them all-in, they call. We each pair our bottom card on the flop, good, but then they end up with 4 diamonds on the Turn, worriesome, but the river is a brick and I earn KO #6, with KK66 over TT66, busted nut backdoor flush. 4000 chips to me, my stack is now up to 16.5k.
    (Somewhere previously, runner-up jazzbythebay KO’d the #5th place finisher with a K-9 straight, and is sitting with a comfortable 8300 chips in 2nd place.)
  9. It’s 3 up, I find myself with QQ on the button, and I open 4BB to 1200; small stack shoves 2800 chips, I call. BB flips up AK, we have a coin flip. Flop is pretty great for me, 9QT giving me top set, but then a K arrives on the Turn to make a possible broadway gutshot for V. They don’t fill it, brick river, and I take down the hand for 6000 chips. KO #6.
  10. It’s HU time, I have an immense stack advantage, but jazzbythebay is healthy enough to be dangerous if he doubles up. Which, he does. I get dealt pocket 99s, and put in for a 3BB raise, which he calls with a pretty questionable A2o. Flop comes in low, right in his wheelhouse, he has 352 on the board for bottom pair and a gutshot wheel draw. I have a big overpair, so I put in a pot-size bet, and he jams. Not a problem for me, I was hoping to get him all in this hand, mission accomplished. I call the remaining 1200 he put in over me, and the board runs out K, A, to give him two pair and beats my 99s. He takes 13.4k from me and now we’re dead-even in stacks, with me just 300 chips ahead of him. What did I say about Short stack invincibility? As soon as I put someone all-in, they can’t lose. 6 other couner-examples to the contrary notwithstanding… lol
  11. QTs, on the button, I win the game flush over straight, another river suck-out for me. I raise pre and get called by T8s. Flop is 657, then a 9 fills V’s straight, which I bet into, ad he jams.
    I call for the possibility of an 8 or heart to fill my own draws, and I river a heart. Amazing. KO #7.
    Hand #609572444 · Replay Poker

I know this was a long write-up, but I need to remember it every time I get sour about my bad beats, missed flops, and general bad luck.