Natural Challenges Where You Live

I live in California, USA. The news is telling everyone about the torrential rains we are experiencing this month. Fortunately, I live in a part of the state where torrential rains happen every year, so we’re pretty well prepared (and mostly safe).

I think there’s nowhere on the planet that doesn’t have some sort of natural challenges—tornadoes, earthquakes, volcanoes, etc. What are the challenges near your home? Just curious to see what gambles each of us has taken in choosing where we live.

2 Likes

I live in Rhode Island. Traveled the whole world in the Marine Corps. New England I found is the safest place to live in the country as far as natural disasters . Blizzard about every 3-5 years, no forest fires, no earthquakes, every 10 years or so a small hurricane. No floods. 4 seasons and great food :+1:t2:.

2 Likes

I am between Naples FL and the Everglades. Our main concern is hurricanes. Recently IAN gave us a glancing blow locally with just some strong wind gusts but the coastal districts took a serious loss of property. The Fort Myers Beach area is total devastation.

2 Likes

We have neighbors who for years have complained about the torrential rains here. They keep wanting to move to Florida, specifically to Fort Myers Beach. We mentioned to them that perhaps our rains are…more livable? They didn’t appreciate the comment. :wink:

2 Likes

The California rains when they do come are horrendous but I’ll take them over the hot humid rains of Florida any day. Except when I lived in Pensacola. Simply paradise :+1:t2: my dad lived in Sand Pepple Yacht and Tennis Club in Port Richey Florida for 16 years. I couldn’t stand it after those rains and boy did it rain almost every day.

2 Likes

I moved to East Tennessee 5+ years ago from central IL. There, it was too much or not enough rain, tornadoes, blizzards, too hot or too cold. Such is life on the Midwest Prairie. Tremors, not earthquakes, every few years. One night it shook us out of bed at 2AM. Still waiting for the big one (New Madrid Fault). My wife always said we get 3 perfect days in the spring and 4 in the fall. Otherwise, it was winter or summer. In E TN, a few very hot days and a few cold days. Seldom gets below 10 or above 95. Long springs and autumns are her favorites here. Short winters Jan 1 - Feb 28. Last winter a native told me it was the worst winter in over 10 years. I replied that I had been praying for a winter that short and mild for over 50 years, lol. Stay safe, everyone and GL.

1 Like

It’s all in perspective, right?! Thanks for sharing this. I didn’t know Eastern Tennessee has such a temperate climate. Now perhaps I can understand the number of my friends who have moved there. gl at the tables, squeaky.

Yep, everything is relative. I have a light jacket for a winter coat, while the natives are wearing their insulated duck and shivering. lol If you’re ever in the neighborhood, stop in. We were in Vista CA last year on the route 66 trip. Peace and gl to you

Joe & Joyce Fromme

Parrottsville TN

1 Like

West Virginia the same climate and beautiful there.

1 Like