My top 10 holdem tips for Replay

I know what a mod is and I know what a player rep is, but what is a “Volunteers” and how many chips does that pay?

Irrelevant to the topic at hand, but I occasionally submit posts for the RP blog. The going rate isn’t nothing (not sure if I’m at liberty to provide the details publicly). That said, I’ve been “paid” fewer total chips for my blog posts than I have through the free Facebook giveaways, just to give you a sense of magnitude.

Thanks for the reply.
Since you brought up your gain of 4.5M chips without buying chips I thought it was only fair that readers know that you earn chips in return for services rendered to Replay.
I’m not on Facebook and don’t have any idea of the size of those giveaways.

As to this, I disagree.
The topic is Joe’s tips. You wrote in support of Joe’s tips using the argument that your bankroll has improved using much of Joe’s method. You also said you don’t buy chips. The implication is that your chips are amassed in the same way as everyone else’s. We now know that that isn’t accurate, We now know that you add to your bankroll by writing a blog for Replay. So now the fact of your bankroll increase becomes less persuasive, since we don’t know how much of that increase is due to playing poker and how much is due to writing.

Whittaker, you asked pretty much the same question in this thread: About Volunteers

You were the 7th response and my reply was the 14th. The answer has stayed the same. More recently, I’ve likely averaged a bit less since I haven’t written much lately (though there is one of my stories up on the blog right now, 16 May 2019).

Wannabecoder started here much later than I did. Last year, due to personal issues, he was absent from the site for about 5 months, during which he didn’t play or write at all. I am about four or five times as active as a writer as he is. So, he EARNED all those chips by winning them in games from people like you and me. He’s a very good player.

1 Like

Over the past three weeks, when I’ve increased my bankroll by over 4M chips, I have not submitted any articles.

1 Like

Thanks both of you for the info.
I think when bankroll is used to support a poker argument it is only fair to divulge chip streams into a bankroll that aren’t won at the tables, especially streams that are not available to the typical player. I appreciate the openness.
May I ask, are there still volunteer-only tourneys with high payouts and low entry fees, and if so, wouldn’t those winnings be another bankroll boost that the reader could factor into his evaluation of forum posts regarding bankroll?

In the interest of full transparency, since May 1st I’ve grown my bankroll in the following ways:

Daily Bonus: 16 transactions, +40,000 Chips
Tournaments: 7 transactions, +101,500 Chips (2nd and 3rd place in 100K SnGs, less 3 100K buy-ins, a 25K SnG buy-in, and a 1K tourney that failed to cash)
Admin: 1 transaction, +100,000 Chips (Facebook trivia winner - awarded this afternoon, after posting my earlier responses)
Ring Games: 75 transactions, +4,435,011 Chips

The “Ring Games” section can be subdivided as follows:
Total ring game buy-ins (including top-ups): 46 transactions, -15,570,000 Chips
Total ring game cash-outs: 28 transactions, +20,005,011 Chips

Starting Balance: 12,469,990
Current Balance: 17,144,001
Total Change: +4,676,511

I’ve spent most of my playing time this month on ring game tables. 90% of my non-Daily Bonus transactions are from ring games, and 95% of my bankroll growth since May 1 has come from ring games. Also, note that I’d mentioned (either earlier in this thread, or another thread) that I play a relatively aggressive, high-variance strategy. This is evidenced by topping up or re-buying an average of 0.64 times per session.

Hopefully that’s enough detail for you…

3 Likes

You forgot to mention what you were wearing.

3 Likes

You stand corrected. I started out as a tournament player on poker star. They use to have this WSOP event where more then 10000 people would join. I won such tournament 3 times. And finished on the final table countless times. After those accomplishments I thought I was a poker god. It is only after I started playing cash, that I realized how bad of a player I was. Cash is way harder than tournament, the reason you think it is not harder is because you haven’t played enough highest stake cash against the best players!

eddie if you can’t beat players ranked under 500, than you yourself is most likely not playing real poker LOL!

JoeDirk I applaud you for writing this very good basic strategy for replay poker. I think you got a lot right!

2 Likes

This post from 2016 gives some idea of the chip inflation. In 2019, I’m at 8.4 million chips, ranked 2274th.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Rankings determination

I had forgotten about this thread. It really is excellent on many levels.

Added tip: DO NOT PAY OFF ON RIVER RAISES
You do not need to respect bets but when playing vs a passive pool, you must lay down big hands when raised. Top set when the flush comes in and you get shoved on? Dump it instead of being stubborn/entitled and paying off another 50BB. If you’ve never seen someone raise with anything less than the nuts, just fold your good but not nutted hands. Only if your opponent has shown you to be capable of bluffing do you need to worry about blockers and where you are in your range. That won’t apply to the vast majority of people you face here and in low/medium stakes cash games.

The river is where the real money is made or lost - don’t be the person who pays off. When people play implied odds hands, they count on being paid. Foil their plan.

4 Likes

Thanks @1Warlock, this is a truly excellent contribution!

I do lots of very stupid things on the table but not respecting river raises probably costs me more than all of the other mistakes put together.

Regards,
TA

2 Likes

Great Tips.

One tip you missed is Bankroll Management. I think it should be number#1 for 3 reasons.

1. Its super easy to learn & basic.
2. Will almost certainly stop you going bankrupt.
3. Will help improve how profitable you are moving up stakes.

Even Phil Ivey would 99.9% go bankrupt if he ignored Bankroll Management. You can’t defeat mathematics & probability long term unless you cheating like Mike Postle.

Many new players complain about RP or online poker being rigged yet they play against the odds.

Glad to see this thread has life. By the time I stopped playing on Replay, these tips were not exactly cutting edge, but they stand the test of time for players starting out.

2 Likes

Just seeing this for the first time, and wanting to say that I think that’s a nice top 10 list.

Yes… bank roll management so often gets missed, and is really probably the most important single skill by far, if you are hoping to build you bank roll.